RIP Toyota Crown

Started by cawimmer430, July 15, 2022, 01:57:13 PM

cawimmer430

It's now some hideously ugly SUV-Crossover thingy. Gross. This pics are of the North American-spec model by the way. Rejoice! Another SUV/Crossover...

Toyota Crown Crossover Detailed In Japan, Where It Is Priced From $31k

Following the debut of the 2023 Toyota Crown in the US, the automaker detailed the range of their new crossover in Japan. The JDM-spec Crown is available with two electrified powertrain options and in seven different trims, with pricing ranging from ¥4,350,000 ($31,347) to ¥6,400,000 ($46,120).

Styling-wise, the Japanese Crown Crossover is identical to the US-spec model, with the exception of the Crown badges that replace the traditional Toyota emblem on the bonnet and on the steering wheel, plus the right-hand-drive configuration.

In Japan, the hybrid-only Toyota Crown is offered in three different variants – the Crossover X, the Crossover G, and the Crossover RS. Depending on the variant it is available in Advanced, Leather Package, or Advance Leather Package trims.

The model is available in twelve exterior colors. The Precious Bronze and Precious Ray shades are new, with high-spec trims getting the two-tone treatment where the bonnet, roof, pillars, and tailgate are painted in black. Trims are also differentiated by the LED graphics on the headlights, whilst retaining the same full-width DRLs. There are also different designs for the alloy wheels measuring 19-inches or 21-inches.

Inside, the entry-level Crossover X gets a smaller infotainment touchscreen but the rest of the lineup gets a 12.3-inch unit combined with a digital instrument cluster. Warm Steel accents are combined with four different color combinations for the upholstery. Safety equipment includes the Toyota Safety Sense and the new Toyota Teammate ADAS suite bringing features like remote parking in tight spaces and semi-autonomous driving in traffic.

Two Hybrid Powertrains

The Crossover X and the Crossover G come fitted with the 2.5-liter engine, the dual-motor E-Four system, and a CVT gearbox. The ICE produces 184 hp (137 kW / 186 PS), and the electric motors add 161 hp (88 kW / 120 PS) at the front and 54 hp (40 kW / 54 PS) at the back.

The Crown Crossover RS gets the more potent turbocharged 2.4-liter engine alongside different dual electric motors for the E-Four Advanced system and a new direct shift six-speed automatic transmission. In this hybrid system, the ICE produces 268 hp (200 kW / 272 PS), and the electric motors are good for 82 hp (61 kW / 83 PS) and 79 hp (59 kW / 81 PS) whilst contributing with more torque. In both cases, the high-output bipolar nickel-metal hydride battery remains the same.

The TNGA-K architecture sports McPherson struts in the front and a multi-link suspension in the rear. Toyota says that the Crown is offering a higher hip point than traditional sedans due to the larger-diameter wheels and the higher ground clearance, plus more headroom for all passengers.

The first deliveries of the new Toyota Crown Crossover in Japan are expected this autumn, likely preceding the US launch which is scheduled for late 2022.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/toyota-crown-crossover-detailed-in-japan-where-it-is-priced-from-31k/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Remember when Crown's actually looked good?

1968-1971 Toyota Crown Hardtop (MS51)  :wub:

1971-1974 Toyota Crown S60/S70  :wub:

1980-1983 Toyota Crown Super Saloon Turbo 4-door Hardtop (MS110)  :wub:

And my favorite, the 1987–1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon 2.0 Hardtop (GS131)  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Well. We all know how well the Honda CrossTour sold.  This will probably sell decent numbers, though, if I had to guess.

Raza

As someone who has spent a lot of time in Toyota Crowns, this is kind of a bummer. I don't know what generation was most common in Tokyo when I lived there, but the older ones were so much more comfortable than the newer ones. Those boxy designs may not be as sexy or dramatic as the newer models, but damn if they didn't give you great headroom. Getting in and out of the older ones was like getting in and out of an SUV that was sedan height—you never had to duck or contort yourself to get in, you just sat like normal. So much headroom. The newer ones, not so much. The roofline swept down faster, so you did have to do that ducking motion to get in and once in, you had less headroom. As such, I always preferred taking one of the older Crowns, which was nice, because they were the ones that were the most abundant.

This thing is pretty ugly, but I've seen worse. Plus, this is what people seem to want. So I assume it'll do fine.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

It's not that bad- I could see this thing being a very comfortable "set it and forget" DD.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 17, 2022, 10:58:50 AM
It's not that bad- I could see this thing being a very comfortable "set it and forget" DD.

It's basically the replacement for the Avalon.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on July 17, 2022, 01:22:58 PM
It's basically the replacement for the Avalon.

Yeah, and I think it fits that role well. I give this a thumbs up.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

It looks like a Toyota Avalon and a Toyota Venza had a baby.  Being hybrid only and if priced starting in the low 30s, it should sell just OK.  Looks like a hatchback opening too. 

MrH

I actually like it  :huh:

Kind of a weird sedan/wagon on stilts.  I'd take it over a Rav4.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

What is that funny looking black patch at the bottom of the door?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: MrH on July 18, 2022, 07:28:01 AM
I actually like it  :huh:

Kind of a weird sedan/wagon on stilts.  I'd take it over a Rav4.

Kind of like a Honda Crosstour.  Except way better. 

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 18, 2022, 07:57:57 AM
What is that funny looking black patch at the bottom of the door?

Unnecessary superfluous styling (more rugged).  That's my guess. 

CALL_911

No way this thing will be priced in the low 30s

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

I've been doing a lot (130 miles daily) of commuting over the past couple weeks, and this thing would be very nice for that. A car I wouldn't care about putting miles on, would be comfortable, economical, trustworthy.

I hate the thought of putting those miles on my car, so I am instead using my future FIL's beaten up 2014 Acura RDX which I actually do not mind. I am realizing what a luxury it is to have a car you don't give a shit about (don't care if it gets dinged, dented, if you pile on miles, anything).

Also check this out:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a40625156/1995-toyota-avalon-xl-driven-archive/

C+D put up their review of the 1995 Avalon up to commemorate its departure.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 18, 2022, 04:45:25 PM
I am realizing what a luxury it is to have a car you don't give a shit about (don't care if it gets dinged, dented, if you pile on miles, anything).

Definitely. I've told myself that my next DD needs to be a car that I don't care about getting dinged and I won't be tempted to modify.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 18, 2022, 04:43:05 PM
No way this thing will be priced in the low 30s

The article says in Japan prices ranging from $31,346 to $46,120.  The outgoing Avalon starts at $36,825 in the U.S.

Maybe the base model in Japan is really decontented compared with the base model in the U.S. 

RomanChariot

Quote from: veeman on July 19, 2022, 08:23:55 AM
The article says in Japan prices ranging from $31,346 to $46,120.  The outgoing Avalon starts at $36,825 in the U.S.

Maybe the base model in Japan is really decontented compared with the base model in the U.S. 

When I was in Japan in the late '80s, most of the taxis were Toyota Crowns. I would suspect that they were heavily decontented.

cawimmer430

Quote from: RomanChariot on July 19, 2022, 11:16:53 AM
When I was in Japan in the late '80s, most of the taxis were Toyota Crowns. I would suspect that they were heavily decontented.

You might be thinking of the Crown Comfort, which to my knowledge was specifically created for the taxi market. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

RomanChariot

That could be. I only rode in one Taxi while I was there.