Watch The Joystick-Driven Mercedes F200 Concept In Action

Started by cawimmer430, August 15, 2022, 03:24:41 AM

cawimmer430

This was such a cool concept at the time. The design would have made a great W220 S-Class Coupe.

Watch The Joystick-Driven Mercedes F200 Concept In Action

Concept cars are often weird, but few were as good at predicting the future as the 1996 Mercedes-Benz F200 Imagination. Seen here arriving at the London Concours, this is a rare opportunity to see this profoundly unusual concept car.

Seen descending from its travel trailer, one of the concept car's peculiarities may actually have made it easier to get out. The doors, which open a bit like Koenigsegg's dihedral ones, actually appear to give the driver a reasonable amount of space for entry and egress, which a normal one might not have.

Another of the car's peculiarities would have made be nervous, though. Unlike a normal car, the F200 Imagination is controlled with a joystick. I think getting any classic car off a car carrier at the London Concours would probably make me nervous, but doing it while also using a unique steering method would do little to steady my nerves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8EuonR4lU

From a mechanical point of view, the F200 Imagination's engine sounds almost disappointingly normal. Thanks to its huge glass canopy and its enormous screen-dashboard, and its drive-by-wire controls, it reads more like an EV than an internal combustion vehicle. Indeed, as we covered previously, the F200 Imagination has many features that you can find on the EQS. The massive screen, for example, is reminiscent of the Mercedes Hyperscreen. It also features sideview cameras, rather than mirrors.

The screen can also display information for your telephone, navigation, radio, CD, and DVD and the front passenger (who can also control the car thanks to those joysticks) can listen to media with wireless headphones. That's all pretty impressive for a car that was introduced at the 1996 Paris Auto Show.

On the lawn at the London Concours, it all seems to work kind of seamlessly, save for one or two harsh stops. Having reportedly sold for close to $10 million, it's hard to argue with the price given how unique the concept is.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/watch-the-joystick-driven-mercedes-f200-concept-in-action/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

that was SOOOOO far ahead of it's time!

imagine getting in a fight with the driver and people yanking on the joystick :mask:

Plus it's wild how he's holding onto the door handle (for leverage?) while driving. And doesn't want to take his hand off the yoke so has to reach all the way across with other hand to press buttons...
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 17, 2022, 05:01:12 AM

imagine getting in a fight with the driver and people yanking on the joystick :mask:

Plus it's wild how he's holding onto the door handle (for leverage?) while driving. And doesn't want to take his hand off the yoke so has to reach all the way across with other hand to press buttons...

Big Daddy Roth did it in 1961 on the Beatnik Bandit. The SAAB Prometheus did it in 1993.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

He's not holding onto the door handle, there is another joystick in the door. By taking away the foot pedals they increased the number of tasks required to be controlled by your hands.

cawimmer430

I always thought this would suck for RHD markets because steering with your weaker left hand would blow. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 17, 2022, 09:41:21 AM
He's not holding onto the door handle, there is another joystick in the door. By taking away the foot pedals they increased the number of tasks required to be controlled by your hands.

WEIRD.

I could dig one joystick for accelerate, brake, turn left/right. With the right feedback and controls it could work fine. But you really would have to not expect that hand to ever leave the joystick. All the buttons would need to be reachable easily with the other hand.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 17, 2022, 07:49:36 PM
WEIRD.

I could dig one joystick for accelerate, brake, turn left/right. With the right feedback and controls it could work fine. But you really would have to not expect that hand to ever leave the joystick. All the buttons would need to be reachable easily with the other hand.

That's why they had two, with identical controls.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator