Coolant leak?

Started by Morris Minor, August 29, 2022, 09:20:05 AM

Morris Minor

The G37 (2010, 93,000 miles) always reeks of coolant after a run. I had to add more via the coolant filler and also to the expansion tank - took about a quart. It's weird because I don't see any drips - so it's slow & immediately evaporating somewhere. I don't smell it inside the car, just outside from the engine bay. Temp gauge reads fine. Oil looks fine (but it's now burning a little and needs the odd top-up.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

Your sig made me think you have a Dodge Journey.  Sorry about that... :lol:

CaminoRacer

With the engine running, do you see any leaks? My old Saturn had a pinhole leak in the radiator that shot directly backwards towards the engine. Something like that could squirt the coolant right onto a hot engine or exhaust part and evaporate it immediately
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Head gasket?  Could be sucking coolant into a cylinder.  Might see some steam coming out of the tailpipe on startup.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

A mechanic (great guy - highly successful mobile business) ran a pressure test for 40 mins and took a close look. Nothing found. He speculated that the header tank filler cap may not be sealed tight & that's where the smell comes from. I'll keep a close eye on it - see if it settles down. I had not looked at it for more than a year before this.

Morris Minor

Okay well it it did settle down. went on a long run yesterday - level never budged.
Now I need to give it an autumn  clean.