Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

Laconian

I'm wondering if our household could go to one car. I've put about 700 miles on my Miata this year. I do enjoy driving in the backroads, but it's about 90 hours of slog for maybe 30 minutes of fun. Traffic here just sucks and the suburbs have grown, so that my formerly empty fun roads are now dotted by absentminded Model 3s going under the limit.

Given that shockingly low utilization, I'm wondering if the 1 person : 1 car paradigm is relevant to us anymore. It probably makes more sense for families with jobs that require commuting and kids that need hauling. Doesn't apply to us. I work from home until further notice, but even when I worked at an office, I biked to work most of the year.

I'm thinking of a radical overhaul to our car stable:
* Subaru upgraded to Ioniq5. 100% of our driving over the past three years could be done within the car's battery range alone. I think it would be a comfortable and fun car to own. I looked at the Genesis GV60 but the inventory is essentially nonexistent and the range is pretty mediocre, only 230 miles!
* Miata sold, replaced by a fleet of bikes:
  - a nice road or gravel bike for myself;
  - a beefy ebike with good pannier racks and stout tires for shopping runs within a 10 mile radius. NOT a fat tire bike. Yuck.
  - a decent ebike so that we can go out shopping by bike as a couple.

What do you think, is it heretical? I can always buy another car later if I end up regretting it, but we're adaptive enough that we could handle any one-off inconveniences by pulling out the credit card. I think I would feel less guilty if my beautiful Miata was in the hands of someone who used it more.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Makes sense to me. Def should get matching mopeds.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

A friend has been telling me to get a Dutch cargo ebike, but they're just too out of place here :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2022, 12:54:46 PM
A friend has been telling me to get a Dutch cargo ebike, but they're just too out of place here :lol:

Who gets to ride in the front?

CaminoRacer

I know one or two families with a cargo ebike like this. They seem useful for a small city like Provo where you could ride to the store and back without issue.

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 24, 2022, 12:59:04 PM
I know one or two families with a cargo ebike like this. They seem useful for a small city like Provo where you could ride to the store and back without issue.

That's pretty neat. I wanna ride one just to see how it handles.

No, both of you need separate dually diesel pickup trucks to roll coal on e bikes and those model 3s.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 565 on September 24, 2022, 06:01:49 PM
No, both of you need separate dually diesel pickup trucks to roll coal on e bikes and those model 3s.

Get a dually diesel with a tow tank/tanks and you can get like 600 miles of range. Way better than them silly EVs...until you gotta fill it up. :lol:

CaminoRacer

What about a dually ebike with a smoke machine

Laconian

Well, I got the non-ebike today, so my plan is coming together, I guess? Miata replacement or not, I've been overdue for a bike upgrade for years.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 24, 2022, 06:20:58 PM
What about a dually ebike with a smoke machine

You mean like a vape?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2022, 06:37:15 PM
Well, I got the non-ebike today, so my plan is coming together, I guess? Miata replacement or not, I've been overdue for a bike upgrade for years.

Picks of shins?

cawimmer430

Due to the climate hysteria here many people are degrading themselves and buying stuff like this. The text reads: "I AM REPLACING A CAR."

Yeah, NO THANKS. I'll keep driving my CO2-spewing liquified dinosaur-burning ICE for as long as possible!  :rockon: :ohyeah: :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

You do you. I'm replacing a car. I don't think of it as a degradation, more of a minor reckoning with suburban material attachment. My Miata gets 36mpg combined, it's practically an EV it's so efficient. :lol:

Laconian

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM
I'm wondering if our household could go to one car. I've put about 700 miles on my Miata this year. I do enjoy driving in the backroads, but it's about 90 hours of slog for maybe 30 minutes of fun. Traffic here just sucks and the suburbs have grown, so that my formerly empty fun roads are now dotted by absentminded Model 3s going under the limit.

Given that shockingly low utilization, I'm wondering if the 1 person : 1 car paradigm is relevant to us anymore. It probably makes more sense for families with jobs that require commuting and kids that need hauling. Doesn't apply to us. I work from home until further notice, but even when I worked at an office, I biked to work most of the year.

I'm thinking of a radical overhaul to our car stable:
* Subaru upgraded to Ioniq5. 100% of our driving over the past three years could be done within the car's battery range alone. I think it would be a comfortable and fun car to own. I looked at the Genesis GV60 but the inventory is essentially nonexistent and the range is pretty mediocre, only 230 miles!
* Miata sold, replaced by a fleet of bikes:
  - a nice road or gravel bike for myself;
  - a beefy ebike with good pannier racks and stout tires for shopping runs within a 10 mile radius. NOT a fat tire bike. Yuck.
  - a decent ebike so that we can go out shopping by bike as a couple.

What do you think, is it heretical? I can always buy another car later if I end up regretting it, but we're adaptive enough that we could handle any one-off inconveniences by pulling out the credit card. I think I would feel less guilty if my beautiful Miata was in the hands of someone who used it more.

Here Lies Laconian
May His Enthusiast Rest In Peace
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

CaminoRacer

I'm guessing the boat has taken over as the main weekend toy, so if the Miata isn't a daily driver and isn't even the main weekend toy, that is tough

giant_mtb

I'm of the mindset that once you have a toy, there's no reason to get rid of it unless it's purely for practical reasons...either you really need/want the space back, or really need/want the money.  Sure you, may not use it as often as you initially did or had once hoped, but it's already yours and when that itch hits, it's there for you.

I can understand the space is has to occupy and the upkeep (insurance, etc) feeling like sort of a burden while it sits mostly undriven.

Miatas are like mopeds...you gotta wind 'em out and push them and that's what makes them fun, even just cruising around.  Windy back roads are its true element, but it's not a requirement to enjoy it.

AutobahnSHO

How much does it rain there?

It might be because I need glasses, but I 10000% HATE riding in the rain.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 25, 2022, 04:20:33 PM
Miatas are like mopeds...you gotta wind 'em out and push them and that's what makes them fun, even just cruising around.  Windy back roads are its true element, but it's not a requirement to enjoy it.

True. Back roads are great but I can have a lot of fun just driving to work too

MrH

Yeah, doesn't it rain most days there?  Do you bike to work in the rain?

This is a sad thread, but it makes sense.  Not from a financial standpoint, but from a simplifying standpoint.  I'm guessing Outback + Miata will be worth roughly what an Ioniq 5 would cost?  Then the added cost of all the new bikes...

Can you even get an Ioniq 5?  I looked for a long time and basically gave up.  Impossible to get a test drive or ever secure one at MSRP, and now there's no rebate either.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

The sad thing about it is that I am getting older and my priorities are changing, but I am kind of excited about shaking things up a bit and rethinking the rut for 2022. Alex is right, the boat really did eat up ALL the nice weekends. With the exception of two and a half weeks, we were on the water from June to mid September, with lots of weekend trips the rest of the year. The sailboat gets so much attention now, in terms of both use and maintenance.

I think the Miata just has to go no matter what. Given that I need to drive increasingly further out to get to the unpopulated backroads, I would prefer a car that can rack up interstate miles without aggravating my tinnitis (e.g. a GTI). But if a transition of some sort is in the cards, then why not give having the interim state of _no_ car a shot? If I really hate life then I can just buy that hatch.

It does rain here a lot from October to April, but yes, I biked for all but four weeks of the year. I had fenders, waterproof high viz clothing, lots of lights. But now that I'm perma-remote, I'll simply stay home on those days.

Sure, I can get an Ioniq 5 if I wait long enough. Bremerton Hyundai sells them at MSRP if you're willing to plunk down $500 for a slot on their non-refundable (but transferable!) waiting list. The lack of a rebate might actually thin the demand for the top trim levels quite a bit! We don't _need_ an EV, but the Ioniq 5 really does sound like a pretty incredible car to drive and own. I think it's points to my enthusiast cred that I want to make our practical DD into a 310HP fun car.

AutobahnSHO

No doubt priorities change!!!

IF we get Maverick, we'll more than likely sell Odyssey. I've had a minivan of some sort almost completely continuously from 2004 through present. But we just don't need that much space very often, and we get 16-20mpg in town and "up to" 25mpg highway. Wife doesn't want 4 cars  :thumbsup:  :hammerhead:
Will

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2022, 10:14:17 PM
The sad thing about it is that I am getting older and my priorities are changing, but I am kind of excited about shaking things up a bit and rethinking the rut for 2022. Alex is right, the boat really did eat up ALL the nice weekends. With the exception of two and a half weeks, we were on the water from June to mid September, with lots of weekend trips the rest of the year. The sailboat gets so much attention now, in terms of both use and maintenance.

I think the Miata just has to go no matter what. Given that I need to drive increasingly further out to get to the unpopulated backroads, I would prefer a car that can rack up interstate miles without aggravating my tinnitis (e.g. a GTI). But if a transition of some sort is in the cards, then why not give having the interim state of _no_ car a shot? If I really hate life then I can just buy that hatch.

It does rain here a lot from October to April, but yes, I biked for all but four weeks of the year. I had fenders, waterproof high viz clothing, lots of lights. But now that I'm perma-remote, I'll simply stay home on those days.

Sure, I can get an Ioniq 5 if I wait long enough. Bremerton Hyundai sells them at MSRP if you're willing to plunk down $500 for a slot on their non-refundable (but transferable!) waiting list. The lack of a rebate might actually thin the demand for the top trim levels quite a bit! We don't _need_ an EV, but the Ioniq 5 really does sound like a pretty incredible car to drive and own. I think it's points to my enthusiast cred that I want to make our practical DD into a 310HP fun car.

Would you order one without test driving?  That's a bridge too far for me.  I was able to test drive an EV6 and was glad I did.  I didn't fit at all.  Kind of an ergonomic nightmare.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2022, 11:47:44 AM
Killed by traffic

No, no, no. When an enthusiast dies, it's always suicide.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on September 26, 2022, 07:59:57 AM
Would you order one without test driving?  That's a bridge too far for me.  I was able to test drive an EV6 and was glad I did.  I didn't fit at all.  Kind of an ergonomic nightmare.

Think about what you said. Why do you need to test drive an electric SUV? It's just there. Fat and ugly and silent as the grave in which Laconian is burying his enthusiast. You're quite tall, so that's a concern, I suppose, but that's more of a test sit than a test drive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on September 26, 2022, 08:16:45 AM
Think about what you said. Why do you need to test drive an electric SUV? It's just there. Fat and ugly and silent as the grave in which Laconian is burying his enthusiast. You're quite tall, so that's a concern, I suppose, but that's more of a test sit than a test drive.

:lol:

You need to make sure you connect emotionally with the golf cart before you buy.

But even a test sit isn't possible for a lot of cars currently!  The whole thing is still a mess and will continue to be for awhile.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

:lol:

CaminoRacer

You don't want to test drive an EV because then your eyes will be opened and you'll see why ICE is kinda dumb for a commuter car compared to the awesomeness of silent torque and no transmission.