Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

Morris Minor

Go for it Kevin.
I have yet to meet an EV owner who would go back to ICE, and it sounds like your plan covers your needs.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

veeman

Personally I would never go for one car, be it ICE or EV, in a household with two adults assuming you can afford it and parking is not an issue. 

It's not absolutely necessary anymore but it is really convenient to be able to go at a moment's notice to wherever you want for however long you want without needing to think about how you're going to do it or how your partner is going to make do without a car for that time period. Even in a world of ride share and rentals, a personal car allows greater mobility at a time convenient for you and you alone. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 25, 2022, 11:13:04 AM
You do you. I'm replacing a car. I don't think of it as a degradation, more of a minor reckoning with suburban material attachment.

What are the advantages of such a bicycle? It's only good for short-distance driving in the city
and only during nice weather. That's it.

These things handle terribly due to the weight distribution and for most people cycling is a form of traveling that will only take place during nice weather, this means not in the rain or cold.

The woke leftist climate hysterical German media wants to tell me that such a contraption is a 100% replacement for my car. Pathetic.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

I commuted for three years to my job on a bike and lost 25 pounds that never came back. And I had fun doing it. My old bike's odometer grew faster than my Miata's, it's currently at 3500 miles.

Wimmer, this is my thread, please spare me the rants.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 27, 2022, 09:47:39 AM
I commuted for three years to my job on a bike and lost 25 pounds that never came back. And I had fun doing it. My old bike's odometer grew faster than my Miata's, it's currently at 3500 miles.

I love cycling through the city as well because it's healthy, fun and it saves me the hassle of looking and paying for a parking space. However, a bicycle can never replace the functionality and flexibility of a car in the big picture. It's a nice short distance and nice weather form of transportation, nothing more. ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

We're keeping a car, though! The bikes are for fun, commuting, and a fallback for the outlier cases.

I'd say 90% of our trips today are HOV.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 27, 2022, 09:47:39 AM
My old bike's odometer grew faster than my Miata's, it's currently at 3500 miles.

Nice!

Maybe I should go for a bike ride this afternoon. I have a 5k coming up this month and I need to improve my cardio a bit more. I just don't enjoy running as much.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Do it! Running for long periods of time is pretty rough on your body if you don't have good form. I can bike all day long.

BTW, I returned the carbon Cannondale to the store. :lol: Basically I discovered - after the fact - that carbon fiber frames ride beautifully and look great, but do not tolerate the addition of pannier racks. The frame is a gigantic suspension member that's meant to bend and flex, and if you span the geometry with a rigid frame.. snap!

Luckily I found the top-trim Topstone 1 in aluminum in REI and will pick it up by the end of the week. I have been waiting for eight freakin' years for a bike upgrade, but COVID came at the exact wrong time and depleted all the stocks.

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 26, 2022, 10:12:46 AM
You don't want to test drive an EV because then your eyes will be opened and you'll see why ICE is kinda dumb for a commuter car compared to the awesomeness of silent torque and no transmission.

I've driven EVs dozens of times. My Power Wheels that I had as a kid, several golf carts, and a radio controlled WRX rally car I had in high school.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2022, 01:55:14 PM
Go for it Kevin.
I have yet to meet an EV owner who would go back to ICE, and it sounds like your plan covers your needs.

My friend dumped his Tesla 3 for a Cayman S and is much happier. He just takes an Uber now instead of letting the car drive itself when he's drunk.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on September 27, 2022, 06:56:40 PM
My friend dumped his Tesla 3 for a Cayman S and is much happier. He just takes an Uber now instead of letting the car drive itself when he's drunk.

My brother was in the market for a new car recently...I was quite sure he'd end up with a Tesla or some sort of EV. Nope, ended up with a Macan S, and I know he's not upset with his decision at all despite being California as fuck.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on September 27, 2022, 06:56:40 PM

Well yeah, those are completely different classes of car. I'm not trading my sportscar for a Model 3 but I would trade most ICE sedans/crossovers for an EV.

cawimmer430

My GF needs to drive from Munich to Braunau on Sunday. That's a distance of only 120 km. According to her her fully charged BMW i3S with a range of 225 km can barely make it if you factor in the 10-15 km charge loss overnight due to the cold temperatures and the fact that she wants to drive faster than 90 km/h (56 mph) on the Autobahn and also heat her cabin. In reality she can make it, but once she's there she needs to charge and the few times we've taken trips together in her EV it's always the same story: the charging stations are occupied or out of order.

So she asked me if I could give her a lift with my car. No problem. I can speed on the Autobahn, heat my cabin and don't have to worry about range. Hell, if I cruise at a steady 130-140 km/h my range even goes up as my fuel economy improves!  :lol:

Seriously, I see no advantage to owning an EV at this point in time. Germany also has the most expensive electricity prices in the world and this especially applies to public chargers which are also slow at a pathetic 11-22 kW capacity.

Count me in as one of the people who has driven some cool EVs like a Tesla Model 3 Performance and does not want one. Insane acceleration means nothing to me, but flexibility, solid range and quick refueling (aka time efficiency) do. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 27, 2022, 08:05:54 PM
Well yeah, those are completely different classes of car. I'm not trading my sportscar for a Model 3 but I would trade most ICE sedans/crossovers for an EV.

But you do realize that's exactly what Kevin is thinking of doing, but even worse. Trading his sports car for an electric Hyundai. You came in all hot for EVs and then said you wouldn't trade your sports car for one, which is exactly the scenario we're discussing here. So which is it? Are EVs the be all end all of driving or would you not trade your sports car for one?

For the record, I have no issue with EVs. The more people who use them means there's more gasoline for me. Hooray for EVs, please, keep buying them. I want people to drive them, especially as most people, most of the time, can manage their limitations, such as short range and long charge times. Kevin getting an EV isn't my issue here. I mean, even using the word "issue" is overstating my position. It's more of a lamentation that my friend, a car enthusiast, is reaching a point in his life where car enthusiasm has dwindled to the point that he'd rather drive around in an appliance and ride a child's toy than drive a proper sports car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2022, 06:09:51 AM

For the record, I have no issue with EVs. The more people who use them means there's more gasoline for me. Hooray for EVs, please, keep buying them. I want people to drive them, especially as most people, most of the time, can manage their limitations, such as short range and long charge times. Kevin getting an EV isn't my issue here. I mean, even using the word "issue" is overstating my position. It's more of a lamentation that my friend, a car enthusiast, is reaching a point in his life where car enthusiasm has dwindled to the point that he'd rather drive around in an appliance and ride a child's toy than drive a proper sports car.

This is eminently quotable  :hesaid:  :clap:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2022, 06:09:51 AM
But you do realize that's exactly what Kevin is thinking of doing, but even worse. Trading his sports car for an electric Hyundai. You came in all hot for EVs and then said you wouldn't trade your sports car for one, which is exactly the scenario we're discussing here. So which is it? Are EVs the be all end all of driving or would you not trade your sports car for one?

I think he's trading the Miata for nothing and the Subaru for an EV. Lol

Rich

He's trading the Miata in for a bike.  Which has better steering feel, a stiffer suspension, a manual transmission, and more wind in the hair.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on September 30, 2022, 08:46:38 AM
He's trading the Miata in for a bike.  Which has better steering feel, a stiffer suspension, a manual transmission, and more wind in the hair.

:lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Rich on September 30, 2022, 08:46:38 AM

Engine only has half a horsepower, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2022, 07:47:06 PM

gets 80mpg (calories equivalent)
Will

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2022, 07:47:06 PM

Kevin is as strong as half of a horse?!  Is he on the juice?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 01, 2022, 02:01:04 PM
Which half?

The hooves, jaw, and ribs. He's missing the leg strength of the horse.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

I'm back on the MX5->Bolt wagon, at least in theory. Gotta test drive a Bolt and see how fun they are to drive. If I like it, I could basically swap the Miata for a much more useful fun car at practically no cost. The Subie drives fine but I think a Bolt would do much of the same work with a lot more verve, not to mention fuel savings.

SJ_GTI

I saw a Bolt EUV on the road a few days ago. It's a decent looking little SUV/Hatch type thing

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 17, 2022, 11:57:02 PM
I'm back on the MX5->Bolt wagon, at least in theory. Gotta test drive a Bolt and see how fun they are to drive. If I like it, I could basically swap the Miata for a much more useful fun car at practically no cost. The Subie drives fine but I think a Bolt would do much of the same work with a lot more verve, not to mention fuel savings.

Wait, so just trade the miata for a Bolt and keep the Outback?  :confused:  I thought the whole idea was to go to one electric car?  Why not swap the subaru for the Bolt?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 17, 2022, 11:57:02 PM

This is the car that's as fun as the MX-5? It definitely looks like it! High center of gravity, comfortable seating for 5, lots of cargo space. Everything you typically look for in a fun car. Plus, one pedal driving! Who wants to deal with the hassle of two or even three pedals!? One pedal that makes you go and the same pedal makes you stop. That's fun.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on October 18, 2022, 11:12:19 AM

This is the car that's as fun as the MX-5? It definitely looks like it! High center of gravity, comfortable seating for 5, lots of cargo space. Everything you typically look for in a fun car. Plus, one pedal driving! Who wants to deal with the hassle of two or even three pedals!? One pedal that makes you go and the same pedal makes you stop. That's fun.

Yeah I'm pretty confused. I think we've lost him if he's thinking swapping a Miata for a Bolt will be "fun." :lol:

SJ_GTI

Honestly if my Golf started having mechanical issues the Bolt would probably be the go-to choice to replace it right now. From what I've read they actually can be fun to drive (although probably would want better tires). Don't we have an owner or two on these forums already? They can't be that bad.