Car Insurance Experience

Started by dazzleman, September 30, 2022, 01:35:49 PM

dazzleman

What has been the experience that you have had with car insurance?  Do you typically get "good driver" rates?  Have you ever had your premium increased because of a ticket or an accident?  Have you ever been in the assigned risk pool?

I have had a pretty good experience with car insurance.  It probably helps that I have never put in a claim for an accident, nor has there been a claim against me in over 40 years.  I typically have always had "good driver" rates.  One issue I have had is that car insurance companies tend to offer a good rate to hook you in, and then arbitrarily raise your rates year by year.  That has happened to me several times, and it has resulted in me switching insurance companies about 5 times over my driving years.

Liberty Mutual is the most recent one to do this.  They got me in with a low rate in 2007, but by 2014 it was way up.  So I switched to State Farm and saved a lot of money.  The only potential glitch at that time was that I had received a speeding ticket in 2013, but it was out of state and didn't appear on my driving record in my home state.  So I checked "no convictions for traffic violations" on the form, and when they ran a license check, it came back clean.

I have never had my insurance increased when I have gotten tickets, most likely because they don't run a license check very often once you are an established customer and don't have any claims against you.

Have you had a similar experience?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

I always pay way too much. Currently $400/6mo for basic liability on the Jeep. My record has been clean for 7 years and I have only ever had a claim for a windshield, but my credit has always sucked.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 30, 2022, 01:43:49 PM
I always pay way too much. Currently $400/6mo for basic liability on the Jeep. My record has been clean for 7 years and I have only ever had a claim for a windshield, but my credit has always sucked.

I forgot about credit scores as a factor in insurance rates?  It doesn't seem strictly fair, but I guess there is some correlation between poor credit and bad driving. Sort of like males under age 25 paying very high insurance rates because guys that age are generally faster and more aggressive drivers.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2022, 01:49:57 PM
I forgot about credit scores as a factor in insurance rates?  It doesn't seem strictly fair, but I guess there is some correlation between poor credit and bad driving. Sort of like males under age 25 paying very high insurance rates because guys that age are generally faster and more aggressive drivers.

Well, I'm 39 now. I'm hoping for a discount at 40, otherwise I'll have to knock up the first chick I can find that is dumb enough to marry me.

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 30, 2022, 01:52:16 PM
Well, I'm 39 now. I'm hoping for a discount at 40, otherwise I'll have to knock up the first chick I can find that is dumb enough to marry me.

I don't think marital status for dudes makes a difference after age 30.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2022, 01:53:14 PM
I don't think marital status for dudes makes a difference after age 30.

By then, the hot wife had turned into a fat bitch, the kids are just annoying brats, and the dude has been so stressed out from work that he started drinking and gambling.

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 30, 2022, 01:56:18 PM
By then, the hot wife had turned into a fat bitch, the kids are just annoying brats, and the dude has been so stressed out from work that he started drinking and gambling.

And that's exactly why he no longer drives fast..... :lol:

CaminoRacer

My insurance goes up a bit every year but I think Progressive is still the cheapest for me, by a lot.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 30, 2022, 03:46:19 PM
My insurance goes up a bit every year but I think Progressive is still the cheapest for me, by a lot.

I haven't shopped around in a while, but am also happy with Progressive.

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 30, 2022, 03:46:19 PM

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 30, 2022, 04:08:23 PM
I haven't shopped around in a while, but am also happy with Progressive.

I imagine you both have a good driver discount.  Have you always had good rates?

veeman

I'm happy with State Farm not because of their rates but because of their service.  They're large enough and diversified enough that I get my car, homeowners, umbrella, and personal articles insurance through them without them handing it out to a 3rd party.  When getting insurance covered autobody work, they have a bunch of autobody shops they contract directly with so there's less hassle in that whole process.  My insurance agent I've never spoken with but I'm on a first name basis with his assistant and have probably spoken with her by phone 40 or so times over the last 10 years.  She always calls me back soon if I leave a message. 

I'm not sure if I'm on their "best behavior" rate or not.  Over the last 10 years me and/or my wife have filed a few auto insurance claims and have gotten a few speeding tickets. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on September 30, 2022, 05:26:36 PM
I'm happy with State Farm not because of their rates but because of their service.  They're large enough and diversified enough that I get my car, homeowners, umbrella, and personal articles insurance through them without them handing it out to a 3rd party.  When getting insurance covered autobody work, they have a bunch of autobody shops they contract directly with so there's less hassle in that whole process.  My insurance agent I've never spoken with but I'm on a first name basis with his assistant and have probably spoken with her by phone 40 or so times over the last 10 years.  She always calls me back soon if I leave a message. 

I'm not sure if I'm on their "best behavior" rate or not.  Over the last 10 years me and/or my wife have filed a few auto insurance claims and have gotten a few speeding tickets.

It doesn't sound as if you think you are paying exorbitant rates.  Like you, I have my homeowner's and umbrella policies through State Farm also.  I had the same problem with rate increases to my homeowner's insurance and saved a lot of money by switching to State Farm.

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on September 30, 2022, 07:57:15 PM
It doesn't sound as if you think you are paying exorbitant rates.  Like you, I have my homeowner's and umbrella policies through State Farm also.  I had the same problem with rate increases to my homeowner's insurance and saved a lot of money by switching to State Farm.

This got me interested to see if I'm paying exorbitant rates or not.  My Veloster costs me $661.60 to insure every 6 months.  Umbrella costs me $250 every 6 months giving me 1 million dollars coverage.  What I really have to pay through the nose however for is flood insurance which is $3465 a year.  Apparently I'm in a high risk flood zone although the nearest coastline is about 10 miles away. 

Rich

I recently added comprehensive and collision to the Miata since I don't think it'll depreciate anymore and if something happens to it, I would like some kind of reimbursement.  I tried to see if there was a local insurer that if any repairs were needed would have their own reps do the assessment and all that.  From what I found all the locals are just brokers for the national companies and shop around to find a rate from the and then I'd be solely relying on the customer service of the national agencies.

I really only ever hear horror stories of how cheap insurance reps ask the auto body shops to go, and wanted to find an insurance that really takes care of the car if it needs repair.  When calling around to the local places they all just didn't understand me when I said "I don't really care about price, I care about service."  The agents never really picked up on it or just didn't know what to do since all customers are so focused on cost.

Hagerty is probably the only insurance that focuses on customer service rather than price, but the Miata isn't eligible for coverage from them. I ended up staying with USAA.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on October 01, 2022, 05:13:20 PM
I recently added comprehensive and collision to the Miata since I don't think it'll depreciate anymore and if something happens to it, I would like some kind of reimbursement.  I tried to see if there was a local insurer that if any repairs were needed would have their own reps do the assessment and all that.  From what I found all the locals are just brokers for the national companies and shop around to find a rate from the and then I'd be solely relying on the customer service of the national agencies.

I really only ever hear horror stories of how cheap insurance reps ask the auto body shops to go, and wanted to find an insurance that really takes care of the car if it needs repair.  When calling around to the local places they all just didn't understand me when I said I don't really care about price I care about service.  The agents never really picked up on it or just didn't know what to do since all customers are so focused on cost.

Hagerty is probably the only insurance that focuses on customer service rather than price, but the Miata isn't eligible for coverage from them. I ended up staying with USAA.

I was happy with Progressive when I got rear ended in my ND. I went with one of their recommended body shops and they used OEM parts for all the important parts and the paint match was great.

AutobahnSHO

USAA.

Wife insisted about 6-7 years we check with GEICO, they were WAY more.

had a couple claims in Germany then one in Georgia in 2009, USAA seems to handle things fine. Part of it is they aren't profit-driven, they send out "member disbursements" every year to keep you happy. ($40-100)
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 02, 2022, 09:51:49 AM
USAA.

Wife insisted about 6-7 years we check with GEICO, they were WAY more.

had a couple claims in Germany then one in Georgia in 2009, USAA seems to handle things fine. Part of it is they aren't profit-driven, they send out "member disbursements" every year to keep you happy. ($40-100)

Is USAA the company that is for members of the military and veterans?

dazzleman

Quote from: Rich on October 01, 2022, 05:13:20 PM

I really only ever hear horror stories of how cheap insurance reps ask the auto body shops to go, and wanted to find an insurance that really takes care of the car if it needs repair.  When calling around to the local places they all just didn't understand me when I said "I don't really care about price, I care about service."  The agents never really picked up on it or just didn't know what to do since all customers are so focused on cost.

At this point, the Miata might be passing the point from being old to being classic, at which time the value stops depreciating and then actually appreciates.

I had been thinking about getting a classic car, but under the circumstances it isn't worth it for me.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on October 01, 2022, 11:11:07 AM
This got me interested to see if I'm paying exorbitant rates or not.  My Veloster costs me $661.60 to insure every 6 months.  Umbrella costs me $250 every 6 months giving me 1 million dollars coverage.  What I really have to pay through the nose however for is flood insurance which is $3465 a year.  Apparently I'm in a high risk flood zone although the nearest coastline is about 10 miles away.

I am really surprised that you need flood insurance in Weston.  And that flood insurance is crazy expensive, but it would be well worth it if you ever got an actual flood.
Are you near a river?  I had $1 million of umbrella coverage but increased it to $3 million a few years ago because of the increase in my assets plus general inflation.  $1 million isn't what it used to be!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on October 08, 2022, 08:13:08 PM
Is USAA the company that is for members of the military and veterans?

Yeah, I've been using USAA for over 20 years

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on October 08, 2022, 08:17:05 PM
I am really surprised that you need flood insurance in Weston.  And that flood insurance is crazy expensive, but it would be well worth it if you ever got an actual flood.
Are you near a river?  I had $1 million of umbrella coverage but increased it to $3 million a few years ago because of the increase in my assets plus general inflation.  $1 million isn't what it used to be!

When we were in the process of buying our house 10 years ago, I was really surprised that the house was listed in a high risk flood zone.  The house was built in 1988 and our house inspector, when examining the basement, didn't think the house had ever been flooded as the basement was unfinished and there were no water mark signs or other signs of prior flood damage.  The inspector was surprised, as was I, however at the low ceilings in the basement making half of it unsuitable for anything but storage.  He suspected that this might be because the groundwater table on our property may be higher than usual limiting how deep the floor of the basement could be. In the back of our house, behind our property line, is an area marked flood zone and there is a small stream running through there. 

State Farm actually doesn't cover my flood insurance.  I have a separate policy from FEMA for that.  The bank which provided the loan for our house mortgage has the FEMA yearly flood insurance cost rolled into my monthly mortgage payment. It was a requirement for me to get the bank loan to buy the house.   

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on October 09, 2022, 03:47:03 AM
When we were in the process of buying our house 10 years ago, I was really surprised that the house was listed in a high risk flood zone.  The house was built in 1988 and our house inspector, when examining the basement, didn't think the house had ever been flooded as the basement was unfinished and there were no water mark signs or other signs of prior flood damage.  The inspector was surprised, as was I, however at the low ceilings in the basement making half of it unsuitable for anything but storage.  He suspected that this might be because the groundwater table on our property may be higher than usual limiting how deep the floor of the basement could be. In the back of our house, behind our property line, is an area marked flood zone and there is a small stream running through there. 

State Farm actually doesn't cover my flood insurance.  I have a separate policy from FEMA for that.  The bank which provided the loan for our house mortgage has the FEMA yearly flood insurance cost rolled into my monthly mortgage payment. It was a requirement for me to get the bank loan to buy the house.

I'm not surprised.  Regular insurance companies have shied away from flood insurance.  Apparently the risks are catastrophic and the government has to backstop it.  As always, this has had a bad effect, encouraging overdevelopment in high risk areas and forcing others in lower risk areas to subsidize the losses.

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 08, 2022, 09:18:13 PM
Yeah, I've been using USAA for over 20 years

Same.  I've been with them since I was 16.  Do all my banking with them too.  USAA is pretty great.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

USAA tried to go after me when the guy who bought my Mazda6 didn't get insurance and rear ended someone a month later. Had to tell them multiple times that it wasn't my responsibility or problem. They still sent it to a law firm, who I had to tell off. So I hate USAA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 09, 2022, 12:32:58 PM
USAA tried to go after me when the guy who bought my Mazda6 didn't get insurance and rear ended someone a month later. Had to tell them multiple times that it wasn't my responsibility or problem. They still sent it to a law firm, who I had to tell off. So I hate USAA

Ugh.  The person your buyer hit has USAA?

If any of your parents or grandparents or uncles/ aunts ever served in Military "you may be eligible" :lol: then they could hound people for you! :thumbsup:
Will

CaminoRacer

Speed_Racer

I've had a USAA acct since I was a kid when my dad opened a youth savings account for me. But I've been slowly transitioning my accounts away from them over the past 3 years. I now only have a savings acct and a credit card left with them. Unfortunately I haven't found them to be price competitive (not even close in most cases), and their service levels are no better than I've experienced elsewhere.

dazzleman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 11, 2022, 04:21:47 PM
I've had a USAA acct since I was a kid when my dad opened a youth savings account for me. But I've been slowly transitioning my accounts away from them over the past 3 years. I now only have a savings acct and a credit card left with them. Unfortunately I haven't found them to be price competitive (not even close in most cases), and their service levels are no better than I've experienced elsewhere.

Is your car insurance with USAA?  You seem to be a relatively well-behaved driver despite your affinity for motorcycles, so I imagine you could get a good rate from a selection of insurance companies.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: dazzleman on October 12, 2022, 10:09:31 AM
Is your car insurance with USAA?  You seem to be a relatively well-behaved driver despite your affinity for motorcycles, so I imagine you could get a good rate from a selection of insurance companies.

I switched from USAA to Progressive a couple years back after several consecutive rate hikes. USAA had outsourced their motorcycle insurance to Progressive so I already had some loyalty with them. Adding my truck to that policy saved me about 40% vs USAA's rates.

I'm lucky to have a clean record. I drive very relaxed when in the truck, but somewhat spirited on the bikes. Not a lot of cops out here in UT I suppose. The Tiger is a lot more stealthy for speeding than the Street Triple :pullover:

dazzleman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 12, 2022, 11:28:32 PM
I switched from USAA to Progressive a couple years back after several consecutive rate hikes. USAA had outsourced their motorcycle insurance to Progressive so I already had some loyalty with them. Adding my truck to that policy saved me about 40% vs USAA's rates.

I'm lucky to have a clean record. I drive very relaxed when in the truck, but somewhat spirited on the bikes. Not a lot of cops out here in UT I suppose. The Tiger is a lot more stealthy for speeding than the Street Triple :pullover:

Those consecutive rate hikes are a common tactic used against established customers, whom they think will accept them due to inertia.  We all have our limits.  Liberty Mutual (and others) did the same thing to me, and now Liberty Mutual is constantly sending me emails trying to bring me back.  It seems such a stupid way of doing business.  So far, State Farm has not done this to me.  I told my agent that I would switch if they did.  The same thing has happened several times with my homeowner's insurance.

I'm not surprised you have a clean record.  You seem like a clean record type of guy.  Also, being on the motorcycle allows you to escape more easily even if a cop nails you and tries to pull you over,,, :lol: