Suggestions for car for wife's new job

Started by veeman, October 03, 2022, 10:12:34 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 04, 2022, 04:57:56 PM
The only time I've seen this work out was if the individual can work off hours... Like a 5am to 2pm shift

That what I did when I had to commute to Oak Park, Chicago. Middle of the night.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on October 04, 2022, 04:57:56 PM
The only time I've seen this work out was if the individual can work off hours... Like a 5am to 2pm shift

That's not possible with a hospital executive job which is generally 7 to 9 am start time and 3 to 6 pm end time.  I don't think she'll last in it more than a few months unless she can work from home 2 days a week.  The guy that hired her really wanted her to work for him.  Him and his wife took us out to dinner when he was trying to get her to join him.  He was telling me I should switch my current job and work at the hospital he's at :lol:  He hinted that working from home for 2 days a week would be possible for her.  She'll have to see what the workplace culture is like over there for people in similar positions to her.

She's been there two days now.  She told me a lot of her colleagues have very long commute times as they drive in from New Jersey to Brooklyn and get in at about 9 am.

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 04, 2022, 05:49:17 PM
That what I did when I had to commute to Oak Park, Chicago. Middle of the night.

My last employer had a site near Brooklyn and that's what they did... 3 shifts but moved back 2 hrs from normal and the office staff willingly adopted to the schedule
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2022, 04:01:41 PM
I had a VW Dieselgate Beetle TDI about 6 years ago.  You actually don't save that much money with them because of the higher price of Diesel.  Using fueleconomy.gov, we would save $1000-$1500 a year in fueling costs with a VW diesel TDI compared with her current car. 

Plus it's bad for the planet :rastaman:

Diesel is now more expensive in Germany, but it's totally worth it if you're going to drive longer distances. I experienced a modern Diesel myself last month in a 2-ton+ SUV. The fuel economy was insane!

https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=36510.0
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 04, 2022, 06:40:24 PM
My last employer had a site near Brooklyn and that's what they did... 3 shifts but moved back 2 hrs from normal and the office staff willingly adopted to the schedule

Unless you are locked into your kids' school schedule, that makes all kinds of sense. Rush hour is stupid as hell.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

The best car I ever had for sitting in traffic was the Prius. It was relaxing, comfortable, reliable, and the a/c worked great.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2022, 05:59:34 PM
She's been there two days now.  She told me a lot of her colleagues have very long commute times as they drive in from New Jersey to Brooklyn and get in at about 9 am.

She may enjoy leaving earlier to beat rush hour, then do breakfast/gym whatever before work, and/or stay late in the evening. But long commutes suck for family life. ...

In the DC area a lot of people at different agencies work 7am-3pm to beat rush hour.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2022, 04:18:02 PM
Oooh!  Didn't know this existed. I would love this! About $10 grand more than the highest trim Hyundai Ioniq 5 and $15 grand more than a mid trim one however. 

It'd be my pick. Range isn't as good thanks to the extra weight. But in exchange for the pork you get a posh and VERY quiet drive. The MSRP premium over the Ioniq5 is pretty insignificant. Dealer markup, on the other hand.. hmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLseHL42cM
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/08/the-2023-genesis-gv60-is-a-strong-contender-for-ev-of-the-year/

The egg butt isn't for everyone, but I kind of like it :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on October 06, 2022, 10:14:14 PM
It'd be my pick. Range isn't as good thanks to the extra weight. But in exchange for the pork you get a posh and VERY quiet drive. The MSRP premium over the Ioniq5 is pretty insignificant. Dealer markup, on the other hand.. hmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLseHL42cM
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/08/the-2023-genesis-gv60-is-a-strong-contender-for-ev-of-the-year/

The egg butt isn't for everyone, but I kind of like it :lol:

Thanks for posting this.  Love it!  Looks pretty good. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on October 06, 2022, 11:10:42 PM
Thanks for posting this.  Love it!  Looks pretty good. 

Right away makes me think of a quirky Cayenne.
Will

Lebowski

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Seriously I don't know how people do these long ass commutes, especially a mother. Growing up, my dad had a 1hr each way commute, and I don't know how he did that, either.  For office jobs today where most everything is done on a basic computer, everyone knows 99% of meetings are a waste of time (and can be done on zoom anyway) ... commuting is such a waste. The irony is all these companies touting the ESG circle jerk yet make their employees commute 60 miles each way in infinity QX60s to sit in front of a $600 dell desktop identical to the one they have at home.

veeman

Quote from: Lebowski on October 07, 2022, 09:30:34 AM
Seriously I don't know how people do these long ass commutes, especially a mother. Growing up, my dad had a 1hr each way commute, and I don't know how he did that, either.  For office jobs today where most everything is done on a basic computer, everyone knows 99% of meetings are a waste of time (and can be done on zoom anyway) ... commuting is such a waste. The irony is all these companies touting the ESG circle jerk yet make their employees commute 60 miles each way in infinity QX60s to sit in front of a $600 dell desktop identical to the one they have at home.

I don't in general disagree with the above...

Large teaching hospital systems in general are not run very efficiently.  Also 90 plus percentage of hospital related activities have to be done onsite and the culture is the hospital administrators work onsite with the doctors, nurses, technicians, and engineers even though the hospital administrator has no direct patient care role. 

Think of the Lisa Cuddy character on the TV show House. She's a hospital administrator and it's not really possible for that to be a 100% or even 50% work from home type of job. 

You are correct most meetings are a waste of time but a hospital administrator's role is to make sure the hospital and all it's different parts function safely, smoothly, and profitably.  My wife goes to more meetings in a week than I do in a year. 

mzziaz

Is Tesla out of the question? Sounds like a Y will fit the bill.
Cuore Sportivo

veeman

Quote from: mzziaz on October 07, 2022, 04:13:43 PM

They appear more expensive now.  Starting at $58190.  I know a few people with them.  One of them hates the ride (not cush at all).  The other one loves the car.  I've never been in one. 

I think since if we get an EV we'd still keep the QX60 for long distance vacation travel, I don't need the benefits of Tesla's nationwide charging network which to me is it's main draw.  The FSD Beta software is really cool but an expensive party trick IMHO. 

MrH

Quote from: mzziaz on October 07, 2022, 04:13:43 PM

It rides like garbage.  And has endless quality problems.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

The "whompy wheels" fiasco would make me think twice, nay thrice, about getting a Tesla. Brittle suspension castings that snap like twigs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136377865@N05/albums/72157658490111523/
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

It's almost as if internal standards and validation protocols are important... :hmm:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited