4 (28.6%)
Fifty shades meatier
1 (7.1%)
What the hell is wrong with you?
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

BimmerM3

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I cannot offer any advice, but good luck with whatever it is.

You were in 2wd when it first happened?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 11, 2019, 09:38:16 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I cannot offer any advice, but good luck with whatever it is.

You were in 2wd when it first happened?

Its never in 2WD. I can only lock and unlock the center diff.

More research indicates I may have stripped out one of the front hubs. I backed the trailer up a somewhat steep hill and it was snowy, so the front was slipping and catching, and it was pretty rough on the whole front end.

If so, its a relatively easy fix.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Watch for flames coming out of the t-case.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

You know, I think I'm gonna find somebody to paint flames on this thing just to make you guys happy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Oh okay. Didn't realize it's full time 4wd or whatever Toyota calls it.

So, I guess does that mean that, with all of the diffs open, the hub broke free, sending all the power to that axle, hence the total loss of drivability? Then locking the center diff sent some power to the rear, which got you home?

BimmerM3

This topic made me finally get around to looking up the technical details of my Explorer's 4x4 Auto/4x4 High/4x4 Low system.

Apparently 4x4 Auto uses a clutch operated differential that varies torque to the front (something - 40% - I found a source that says 7-40, but that's an older model so I'm not sure if it's the same), but it seems that the front wheels are always getting some amount of torque. Then High locks the diff, and Low engages the lower gear, like normal.

So it's really both AWD and 4x4, I guess. :lol:

EDIT: I lied, I think it does send 100% torque to the rear under normal driving conditions. It looks like some of the earlier Explorers could send up to 100% to the front if needed, but I'm not sure if that would still be true for my model year.

Of course, none of this is directly from an official Ford source, though this source reads like it was written by a PR team.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 11, 2019, 10:11:12 PM
Oh okay. Didn't realize it's full time 4wd or whatever Toyota calls it.

So, I guess does that mean that, with all of the diffs open, the hub broke free, sending all the power to that axle, hence the total loss of drivability? Then locking the center diff sent some power to the rear, which got you home?

Yep. Mechanically, its open diffs. There's a brake based stability/traction system, but that doesn't do poop if something is slipping before the brakes.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 11, 2019, 09:55:24 PM
You know, I think I'm gonna find somebody to paint flames on this thing just to make you guys happy.

bout time
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 10, 2019, 03:59:04 PM
23 months biatch

Oh yeah, I forgot that it's twenty nineteen. lol

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2019, 05:02:48 AM
Yep. Mechanically, its open diffs. There's a brake based stability/traction system, but that doesn't do poop if something is slipping before the brakes.

Cool. Since I started casually looking for Explorer replacements, I've been putting more effort into learning how various 4WD/AWD systems work, so I wanted to make sure I understood what was happening (at least in theory, if the hub really is the root cause, which makes sense given the symptoms).

I've come to realize that, outside of hardcore off-roading where locking transfer case and/or differentials all around are the obvious choice, it's largely worthless to talk about "4x4 vs AWD" without knowing the specifics of each system, and sometimes, such as in the case of my Explorer, the distinction between the two isn't even all that clear.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 12, 2019, 11:11:00 AM
Cool. Since I started casually looking for Explorer replacements, I've been putting more effort into learning how various 4WD/AWD systems work, so I wanted to make sure I understood what was happening (at least in theory, if the hub really is the root cause, which makes sense given the symptoms).

I've come to realize that, outside of hardcore off-roading where locking transfer case and/or differentials all around are the obvious choice, it's largely worthless to talk about "4x4 vs AWD" without knowing the specifics of each system, and sometimes, such as in the case of my Explorer, the distinction between the two isn't even all that clear.

The AWD system in Subarus is effectively the same as the 4WD one used in Range Rovers for years. Those are two pretty definitive marques that built their reputation on those things. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2019, 11:14:22 AM
The AWD system in Subarus is effectively the same as the 4WD one used in Range Rovers for years. Those are two pretty definitive marques that built their reputation on those things. 

Even Subaru's current systems vary a little depending on the model and options (mainly manual vs CVT), at least according to the Engineering Explained guy, who I generally trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQlK89PyxQ

Soup DeVille

Well, I was thinking of older Subaru systems; back when their tagline was "The Beauty of AWD," and the only CVT was in the Justy

Soup DeVille

Well, looks like what I'm chasing here is the end result of a bad service job.

Took the front hub apart and found the locking ring which is supposed to lock the axle nut in position is completely missing. Axle nut had backed off and stripped out the spindle. The only things holding on the left front wheel were the caliper and the little axle end snap ring.

Checked the right side and everything is there and in good order.

Damn spindle is $700.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 14, 2019, 02:28:15 PM
$700 :wtf:

Yep. Most parts are perfectly reasonable, but I can't find that one anywhere but at the dealer.

Soup DeVille

In the receipts I got with the truck, found "bearing grease and repack, front end" done with a bunch of other things at 141,000 miles. That would have required taking he nut off.  Looks like the tech broke the tab on the lock ring and then tried to secure the axle nut with blue loc-tite. Fuck.

I don't know whether its worth it trying to make a case against work done 3 years ago for another owner in another state when I can't prove somebody else hasn't had that hub off since.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 02:35:41 PM
I don't know whether its worth it trying to make a case against work done 3 years ago for another owner in another state when I can't prove somebody else hasn't had that hub off since.

Probably not.

Soup DeVille

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 14, 2019, 02:30:47 PM
Yep. Most parts are perfectly reasonable, but I can't find that one anywhere but at the dealer.
Junk yard?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 14, 2019, 02:41:53 PM
Junk yard?

Junk yard in Utah maybe, but not many of these around here. I don't really have time to go scavenging anyways, as much as I like doing that (honestly).

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 14, 2019, 03:01:58 PM
I don't know if this will help...http://www.cruiseryard.com/100-series-driver-side-knuckle-with-spindle/

It does. But, shipping says 2-3 weeks. I'll call them and see if I can get it faster.

edit; well,
looks like you saved me about 200 bucks. I owe you

Soup DeVille

Alrighty then. All back together and my wallet feels so much lighter!

Its now obvious there's always been something wrong with the front end. Everything is quieter and tighter.

BimmerM3

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2019, 07:42:09 AM
Alrighty then. All back together and my wallet feels so much lighter!

Its now obvious there's always been something wrong with the front end. Everything is quieter and tighter.

Niiice!!
Will