Rivian electric truck

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 27, 2018, 02:19:32 PM
An all electric, quad motor vehicle is the perfect opportunity to ditch traditional 2 & 3 box designs. Make it a literally a giant penis with wheels. Put the driver in the center of mass. Wrap it in bubbles

Shoots gunky white stuff when you honk the horn.

2o6

I can't picture a one box design being more useful in any tangible way. How would you access the front trunk better?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 02:20:12 PM
Shoots gunky white stuff when you honk the horn.

As a precaution, to cushion a potential impact. Brilliant.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2018, 02:21:44 PM
I can't picture a one box design being more useful in any tangible way. How would you access the front trunk better?

Like a double decker bus, but more phallic.

Eye of the Tiger

Penis jokes aside, the shape is ideal not only because of being streamlined, but also due to its ability to fit into tight spaces. And then there is deflection of impacts from the rounded, glossy surface.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 12:48:37 PM
Why the hell do they still have an enormous hood and grille? It's not like it has a TRITON V10 under there. It's a goddamn electric car, do something clever instead of just making yet another limp dick enhancer

Frunk!

And I think a lot of truck buyers are into that look. Trucks had giant engines 20 years ago, but didn't have as obnoxiously huge front ends.

I'd be interested to see it next to some other current pick-ups. Still looks like a shorter hood than current full-size pickups, but size-wise it might compete more with mid-sizers.

Quote from: shp4man on November 27, 2018, 02:05:24 PM
Now I can see one of those 4 door, suburbanite owned, leather seat status symbols being an EV, but working vehicles need to be more cost effective.

Which is why they're building 4 door, leather seat versions first. :huh: That's a huge portion of the truck market these days, and $70k isn't all that crazy for a luxury truck. An F-150 4x4 Limited is $72k, though who knows how well they compare amenity-wise. Plus this vehicle looks a little smaller, so comparing to an F-150 might be a poor comparison.

MrH

Woah.  Now they are showing a 3 row SUV on the same platform.

I really, really like that.  It's just renders right now.  If they can actually execute on this, I think they'll do really well.  Like any new automotive OEM though, can they get enough cash to survive the massive capex required to get moving, and can they actually build a car?

I hope they make it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 27, 2018, 02:19:32 PM
An all electric, quad motor vehicle is the perfect opportunity to ditch traditional 2 & 3 box designs. Make it literally a giant penis with wheels. Put the driver in the center of mass. Wrap it in bubbles.

Sort of like this?

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
Sort of like this?

I was thinking more along the lines of the Ambiguously Gay Duo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
Sort of like this?

You know you can't buy a retired weenermobile? Even though they replace them steadily, they destroy the old ones rather than sell them or just having them towed away
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 27, 2018, 02:28:50 PM
And I think a lot of truck buyers are into that look.

Yeah, a lot of guys buy trucks as
Quotelimp dick enhancer
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Maybe- Oh just hear me out- just maybe; somebody can like trucks or sports cars or anything else percieved as manly and still have completely normal and fully functional genitalia?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

What's so wrong with a traditional truck look...? :huh:

This is a Compensation Station:

A normal-looking (ie, stock) truck isn't.  I mean...it's not like a Tezla doesn't look essentially like any other car...?  Why does an EV truck have to suddenly diverge from the norm?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 03:11:24 PM
Yeah, a lot of guys buy trucks as

Which is completely irrelevant. Do you really expect manufacturers to intentionally make vehicles that won't appeal to their target market?

I really don't understand car enthusiasts' obsession with trucks and dick jokes.

shp4man

2o6

BimmerM3

Though, to be fair to Kevin, someone driving a truck in Seattle is much more likely to own it as a status symbol than someone in CO or DA YOOPEE.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 03:23:35 PM
What's so wrong with a traditional truck look...? :huh:

This is a Compensation Station:

A normal-looking (ie, stock) truck isn't.  I mean...it's not like a Tezla doesn't look essentially like any other car...?  Why does an EV truck have to suddenly diverge from the norm?
My wife would love something like that.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 27, 2018, 03:22:16 PM
Maybe- Oh just hear me out- just maybe; somebody can like trucks or sports cars or anything else percieved as manly and still have completely normal and fully functional genitalia?

Bullshit

shp4man

This is a shitty cure for limp dick syndrome:

This works better. But it is blue.  :lol:

Don't laugh! You'll be there someday, too.

Edit: It looks like Photosucket works again... :wtf:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 27, 2018, 05:15:03 AM
Under acceleration, yes. A horspower is after all 746 Watts, and batteries are rated in watt-hours.

At constant speed, less so, although keeping the inverters in the most efficient range for their output is likely a bigger factor than the motor size.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 27, 2018, 05:54:46 AM
It does, but nowhere near as much. The jump in fuel economy vs power is probably like 1/2 for electric as it is for gas. On the power generation side there are a lot less losses in an electric motor vs a gas engine- especially a powerful one- but the biggie is probably regenerative braking.

The reason a 600 HP electric car would be thirstier than a 150 HP one on a cruise would be the fact that the 600HP car would probably be bigger + heavier + have wider, higher rolling resistance tires.

Simply and well-explained. Thanks!  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

It doesn't look like it, but the Jag I-Pace is actually a fairly small car with a short nose. It's more aerodynamic, it doesn't atomize pedestrians on impact, and the length is spent where it counts: on the passengers instead of a "frunk".

Simply aping ICE form factors because penis is a waste of the weird and interesting potential of electric drivetrains.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 27, 2018, 03:43:54 PM
Bullshit

If a guy had a micropenis, would he buy a vehicle that causes everyone to make dick size jokes?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2018, 03:37:20 PM
Ur peepee is too small!

You promised you wouldn't say anything!!!!

Laconian

I'm being too critical of this truck, I admit it. It's nowhere near the worst offender.

It is a shame that the truck segment is so conservative and plays so hard on insecurity though. There's nothing like the 80's/early 90's Ranger or the Mazda B-series anymore.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on November 27, 2018, 03:44:39 PM
This is a shitty cure for limp dick syndrome:

You should've got a Ford.  A wimpy 6 just can't hold a candle to an explosive 8. :ohyeah:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 04:09:27 PM
It doesn't look like it, but the Jag I-Pace is actually a fairly small car with a short nose. It's more aerodynamic, it doesn't atomize pedestrians on impact, and the length is spent where it counts: on the passengers instead of a "frunk".

Simply aping ICE form factors because penis is a waste of the weird and interesting potential of electric drivetrains.

Right, but the I Pace already has secure cargo space in the normal trunk area. Truck beds do not without installing covers and/or toolboxes, which compromise the utility of the bed itself. It's a legitimately useful feature, not just a fun-to-say word (though that is also true).

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2018, 04:20:10 PM
You should've got a Ford.  A wimpy 6 just can't hold a candle to an explosive 8. :ohyeah:

I give you...The Ford 300 CID truck 6-banger!  ;)

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on November 27, 2018, 04:24:27 PM
I give you...The Ford 300 CID truck 6-banger!  ;)

Well, bigger is always better then.