Rivian electric truck

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 04:13:21 PM
I'm being too critical of this truck, I admit it. It's nowhere near the worst offender.

It is a shame that the truck segment is so conservative and plays so hard on insecurity though. There's nothing like the 80's/early 90's Ranger or the Mazda B-series anymore.

Yeah, this is a pretty subtle design for a modern truck.

vs.

It's much more akin to something like a Ridgeline, styling-wise, than it is a Compensation Station.  :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 02:01:19 PM
Yes, trucks are great at annihilating smaller cars and pedestrians, don't want to interfere with that.

perhaps drivers will be more careful if they have valuables in the frunk
Will

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 12:48:37 PM
Why the hell do they still have an enormous hood and grille? It's not like it has a TRITON V10 under there. It's a goddamn electric car, do something clever instead of just making yet another limp dick enhancer

Because big grilles are Built Ford Tough (R) like truck nutz and decals of strippers with their fake tits cascading over the confederate flag plastered in the back window.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

I don't know what it is, but everything the CEO of this company says makes him sound like a professional huckster.  I'll believe this truck when I see it...but my spider senses tell me this is somewhere between vaporware and invent n' run scheme.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on November 27, 2018, 09:29:47 PM
I don't know what it is, but everything the CEO of this company says makes him sound like a professional huckster.  I'll believe this truck when I see it...but my spider senses tell me this is somewhere between vaporware and invent n' run scheme.

I remain skeptical as well, but we shall see.

Submariner

Spidey  :facepalm:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on November 27, 2018, 09:24:57 PM
Because big grilles are Built Ford Tough (R) like truck nutz and decals of strippers with their fake tits cascading over the confederate flag plastered in the back window.

I feel like some of y'all are so insecure that owning a truck would just make you 6x more insecure.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 06:57:36 AM
I feel like some of y'all are so insecure that owning a truck would just make you 6x more insecure.

I am so secure

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Why does it have a front end, though?  Anybody who wants that has a tiny peniz.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 12:32:56 PM

Galaxy

^ I have to ask, where is that gif from?

2o6

Too bad it looks like a bob-omb from the front

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Galaxy on November 28, 2018, 01:27:22 PM

The actor is Sinbad...he was (is?) a famous comedian.

The scene is from a TV show called "A Different World" which was itself a spin off from "The Cosby Show."

BimmerM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2018, 02:26:19 PM

The scene is from a TV show called "A Different World" which was itself a spin off from "The Cosby Show."

What I remember Sinbad from:

Galaxy

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 28, 2018, 02:31:07 PM
What I remember Sinbad from:

Same.

And honestly I thought that gif was Neil The Grass Tyson. :lol:

SJ_GTI

giant_mtb

heelntoe

@heelntoe

RomanChariot

Because it would look silly with 2 back ends.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 28, 2018, 04:54:05 PM
Because it would look silly with 2 back ends.

Or that could be genius. It would be like a choo choo train. You can drive it in any direction. Pull forward into a spot, then pull forward out. No worries about backing your trailer up, just spin your seat around and push the trailer. Twice as many pickup beds. One can have a cap for doges.

93JC

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2018, 01:17:55 PM

Quote from: Galaxy on November 28, 2018, 01:27:22 PM
Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2018, 02:26:19 PM

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 02:53:16 PM
... honestly I thought that gif was Neil The Grass Tyson. :lol:
Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2018, 02:56:33 PM

:clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12,000 RPM

Faraday Failure has people's hackles justifiably up

One weird thing about this and other EVs is the insane acceleration times. Do we need a pickup truck that can go to 100 in 7 seconds? I guess with the batteries being the big cost item, and additional HP being so incrementally cheap in an EV vs a gas car it's easy and cheap headline fodder. But it also seems like a waste.

It's also quite frightening considering how the average pickup driver drives around here
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2018, 08:34:00 AM

One weird thing about this and other EVs is the insane acceleration times. Do we need a pickup truck that can go to 100 in 7 seconds? I guess with the batteries being the big cost item, and additional HP being so incrementally cheap in an EV vs a gas car it's easy and cheap headline fodder. But it also seems like a waste.

It's also quite frightening considering how the average pickup driver drives around here

For real.  The vast majority of the driving public has zero place behind the wheel of a rocket. 

0-60 times are just like cores on your average run of the mill dell.  No one needs 32 threads and 64 gb to watch Ellen videos on YouTube, but bigger numbers always sell and gives people a reason to buy something new.  I can't blame automakers for trying...

giant_mtb

Trucks tow/haul heavy things. This requires more power. :nutty:

giant_mtb

Says the guy who used to brag about driving like an asshat on the street.

Soup DeVille

It probably "needs" the torque for towing (not really, but recreational towers are a bunch of pussies), but the nature of AC electric motors is such that that also leads to stupid acceleration times.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

This vehicle would handle way different than a regular pickup. An electric motor on each wheel and a way more balanced front to rear weight ratio unloaded. Plus probably a bunch of electronic shit to compensate for different loads. IT"S THE FUTUUUUUURE!!!

:lol: