2019 Mercedes G350d Diesel Is Powerful, Civilized And Very Frugal

Started by cawimmer430, December 23, 2018, 09:36:08 AM

cawimmer430

2019 Mercedes G350d Diesel Is Powerful, Civilized And Very Frugal

The all-new Mercedes-Benz G-Class lineup is complete with the addition of the "entry-level" G 350 d diesel variant.

Available since June with two V8 gasoline powertrains (the G500 and Mercedes-AMG G63), the new G-Class finally gets a diesel engine that will be both the cheapest and most economical variant in the current lineup.

The G350d uses the new OM 656 straight-six turbo diesel engine with a displacement of 2.9 liters that delivers 286 PS (282 hp) at 3,400-4,600 rpm and 600 Nm (442 lb-ft) of torque at 1,200-3,200 rpm. Linked to the 9G-Tronic nine-speed automatic transmission, the Euro 6d-TEMP-compliant six-cylinder diesel averages 9.8-9.6 liters/100 km (28.8-29.4 mpg UK) and 259-252 g/km CO2 — according to NEDC.

That makes it the most fuel-efficient G-Class of all time, thanks in part to the gliding function available in Eco mode. It's also the most powerful diesel-equipped G-Class ever. The peak torque, for example, is almost the same as that of the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 in the G500.

Mercedes-Benz says the new engine will set new standards in the G-Class as far as performance is concerned, both on and off the road. The G350d sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 7.4 seconds and reaches a top speed of 199 km/h (123 mph).

Comfort stands to gain as well, with the new diesel-powered G-Class producing less noise and vibrations in the cabin than its V6 predecessor. To help achieve that, the engine mounts of the engine are actively controlled for the first time.

As for off-road performance, the new transfer case is flange-mounted directly to the transmission and is designed to send 40 percent of the drive torque to the front axle and 60 percent to the rear axle. Obviously, the G350d also features low-range off-road reduction gear for driving on difficult terrain.

The automaker also says the new G-Class diesel is better equipped than its predecessor. Standard features include leather seats, Artico man-made leather trim covering the instrument panel, open-pore wood accents, Dynamic Select drive mode selector, Active Braking Assist, and other driver assistance systems.

The 2019 G350d will go on sale in January 2019 in Europe and other markets (not the U.S., though) and will arrive in dealerships in spring. Prices will be announced closer to launch.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/2019-mercedes-g350d-powerful-economical-g-class-diesel-yet/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Very Frugal

That is an interesting way to describe a vehicle with a six figure (or close to it) price tag.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 23, 2018, 12:30:05 PM
Yeah, but it looks goofy :huh:.

I wonder if people in Germany bitch about this thing like r0tor bitches about Wranglers. :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 23, 2018, 12:30:05 PM
Yeah, but it looks goofy :huh:.

I wasn't a fan of the new G-Class, but they've slowly grown on me. They look pretty nice in real life.

Still; big SUV, not for me. ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 23, 2018, 09:57:38 PM
That is an interesting way to describe a vehicle with a six figure (or close to it) price tag.

Most huge and porky SUVs here are sold with Diesel engines. That's one of the main niches where they do provide fuel economy and lower running cost benefits (along with large luxury cars). And hey, even rich people wanna save $$$. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 24, 2018, 03:10:29 AM
I wasn't a fan of the new G-Class, but they've slowly grown on me. They look pretty nice in real life.

Still; big SUV, not for me. ;)

I haven't seen one in person, but I still like the old one a bit better (outside, of course).  Soft corners on the G just doesn't sit well with me.  I know it was done for pedestrian regs...still doesn't look good.

Also, it would be nice if they offered an "off road package" somewhere between stock and the inevitable 4x4 squares...a 2-3" lift + 35"-35" tires would be a good start, or at the very least, the trick suspension from the upcoming GLE.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

This would be my pick over the Urus, Bentayga, and other high dollar 4x4 douchemobiles.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on December 24, 2018, 11:07:02 AM
I haven't seen one in person, but I still like the old one a bit better (outside, of course).  Soft corners on the G just doesn't sit well with me.  I know it was done for pedestrian regs...still doesn't look good.

Also, it would be nice if they offered an "off road package" somewhere between stock and the inevitable 4x4 squares...a 2-3" lift + 35"-35" tires would be a good start, or at the very least, the trick suspension from the upcoming GLE.

The old G-Class looks rugged and manly, the new one is a little "softer" outside. But after recently driving an old body G500 Limited Edition I'm not a fan of the way they drive. I always found them a little cramped inside and this car was no exception. The seats don't slide all the way back for my 6'4" frame, and I can't lower them enough to accommodate my gigantic size and get into a comfortable driving position. The steering was extremely lifeless - and this was a 2017 car!!!

In that regard the new G-Class feels so modern, drives so modern and you can actually get comfortable in it. ;)

The only downside? If you order one today it will arrive in March 2020. Yep, March of 2020.  :lol:

PS: With the sensible G350d out the off-road packages may arrive. A stripper G350d for off-road enthusiasts would be sweet!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on December 24, 2018, 11:33:15 AM
This would be my pick over the Urus, Bentayga, and other high dollar 4x4 douchemobiles.

From that list I like the new G and the Urus. I recently saw a black and a yellow Urus and they do turn heads. Sexy SUV.

The Bentley Bentayga is hideous, but strangely I like the Rolls Royce Cullinan. I did see a Cullinan on the road maybe two weeks ago, a dark red one. Looked great. For some reason I think they do look pretty cool.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 24, 2018, 03:11:38 AM
Most huge and porky SUVs here are sold with Diesel engines. That's one of the main niches where they do provide fuel economy and lower running cost benefits (along with large luxury cars). And hey, even rich people wanna save $$$. :lol:

I get that, but it's still a silly way to describe the vehicle. It probably loses more in depreciation in the first year alone than most first owners spend on fuel over the life of a vehicle.

"Efficient" would be better.

I'd definitely have one as my rich-guy outdoorsy vehicle if I were loaded though. Only thing I don't like is the halo on the headlight.

cawimmer430

Yeah, the halo around the headlight takes some getting used to. I feel that the headlights on the old body G-Class looked nicer.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

I wonder if my A250 has this glide mode. Gotta give it a try, but I avoid ECO MODE like the plague...  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 24, 2018, 01:48:45 PM

The only downside? If you order one today it will arrive in March 2020. Yep, March of 2020.  :lol:

Lame. The G63 I rode on was delivered from the factory in late November. The 15% deposit was paid in October   :evildude:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Submariner

Just sat in a new G550.

It looks much better than it does in photos...the "softer" edges really aren't that bad in person.  And the interior is just eons better than the last generation model.

Also, the new CLS is much the same way...it photographs quite poorly.  The new model is (almost) as well proportioned as the 6 4-door coupe.

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on December 26, 2018, 01:44:16 PM
Lame. The G63 I rode on was delivered from the factory in late November. The 15% deposit was paid in October   :evildude:

When I picked up my A250 my salesman told me about the waiting periods for the new cars.

A-Class: 6 months+

G-Class: 1 year+

Want an S-Class? It will take only 2 or 3 months. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 27, 2018, 01:33:45 PM
When I picked up my A250 my salesman told me about the waiting periods for the new cars.

A-Class: 6 months+

G-Class: 1 year+

Want an S-Class? It will take only 2 or 3 months. :lol:

The G class is "at least 6 months, probably longer" according to one sales guy here.

12,000 RPM

Such a contrast with America. I imagine even mid grade S-Class buyers/leasers are mostly taking whatever's on the lot.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on December 27, 2018, 02:13:10 PM
The G class is "at least 6 months, probably longer" according to one sales guy here.

Maybe the delivery times have changed, or the US market gets priority.

I'm on another car forum with an international crowd of members and the guys in the UK and Australia all got their A-Classes before me, despite having ordered them after me!

We need Trump in Germany - GERMANY FIRST!  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 27, 2018, 08:47:41 PM
Such a contrast with America. I imagine even mid grade S-Class buyers/leasers are mostly taking whatever's on the lot.

The only S-Classes on the lots here are low mileage used models. It's a completely different system here than in the US. Customers here want to individualize their cars and expect to custom order them from the factory with the features they want.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 28, 2018, 03:11:53 AM
The only S-Classes on the lots here are low mileage used models. It's a completely different system here than in the US. Customers here want to individualize their cars and expect to custom order them from the factory with the features they want.

For the vast majority of people that individualization is unnecessary and inefficient

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 28, 2018, 12:16:13 PM
For the vast majority of people that individualization is unnecessary and inefficient

How does it work in the US? Does MB offer feature packages for the S-Class or are they pretty much fully-loaded and buyers simply have to look for a specific exterior/interior color combination?

I love playing with the configurator on the German MB website, and creating my personalized S-Class with the features I want is fun.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 29, 2018, 04:45:27 AM
How does it work in the US? Does MB offer feature packages for the S-Class or are they pretty much fully-loaded and buyers simply have to look for a specific exterior/interior color combination?

I love playing with the configurator on the German MB website, and creating my personalized S-Class with the features I want is fun.  :tounge:

You can custom order cars in the US, but most people choose not to do it. Dealers will usually offer a better price on inventory...to the point where it could cost you more to order a car with fewer options.

The only time it makes sense to custom order (IMHO) is if you want something really rare (manual transmission, unusual color, way more options than normal). Dealers will look at inventory all over the place to see if there is something already out there that you want.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 31, 2018, 09:22:42 AM
You can custom order cars in the US, but most people choose not to do it. Dealers will usually offer a better price on inventory...to the point where it could cost you more to order a car with fewer options.

The only time it makes sense to custom order (IMHO) is if you want something really rare (manual transmission, unusual color, way more options than normal). Dealers will look at inventory all over the place to see if there is something already out there that you want.

Got it. Good info, thanks!  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

For whatever reason, and probably because they get some sort of deal, many employees order their vehicles rather than buy them off the lot.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

I am just glad I was able to pick the options and features that I know I will use in my new A-Class.  :ohyeah:

This is why I like the way we can individualize cars here in Europe.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Most cars in the states just have a couple option packages to choose from anyway, outside of accessories that are mostly just aesthetic items that you could install after the fact pretty easily. There's not really a whole lot to customize.

MB (and I guess luxury marques in general) do tend to be a bit more customizable though.