2019 Mercedes G350d Diesel Is Powerful, Civilized And Very Frugal

Started by cawimmer430, December 23, 2018, 09:36:08 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 31, 2018, 03:01:09 PM
Most cars in the states just have a couple option packages to choose from anyway, outside of accessories that are mostly just aesthetic items that you could install after the fact pretty easily. There's not really a whole lot to customize.

MB (and I guess luxury marques in general) do tend to be a bit more customizable though.

I wonder if those who order European cars and partake in the European Delivery Program get more freedom in terms of customization.

It's a neat thing in my opinion, putting together the car of your dreams. Others may want something generic that is fully loaded and offers perhaps "better value", but personally I see the value in specifying the features and options that I want in my car, which I know I will use/need. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 31, 2018, 04:31:40 PM
I wonder if those who order European cars and partake in the European Delivery Program get more freedom in terms of customization.

It's a neat thing in my opinion, putting together the car of your dreams. Others may want something generic that is fully loaded and offers perhaps "better value", but personally I see the value in specifying the features and options that I want in my car, which I know I will use/need. ;)

Yeah, I guess that's really the question. In theory, them offering fewer configurations cuts down on manufacturing costs, but I don't know to what extent those savings are actually passed on to the buyer.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 31, 2018, 01:02:51 PM
For whatever reason, and probably because they get some sort of deal, many employees order their vehicles rather than buy them off the lot.

Yep, this is what my brother did. Its because they get the same price whether they order or take from inventory. By ordering he also got to take delivery at his office rather than going to a dealer.

If something were to happen to my Golf I would almost certainly custom order a WRX and take delivery at Subaru's offices rather than a dealer. My mom took delivery of her Crosstrek at a local dealer and she was pretty irritated by them (took forever to help her or answer questions).