2019 RAV4

Started by BimmerM3, January 09, 2019, 01:01:05 AM

BimmerM3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJKwS1NpHH0

tl;dw: Tons of standard features (emergency braking, adaptive cruise, multi-terrain select) and even more available, a bit faster at 205hp. 8 speed auto (yay for no CVT).

I've been looking at some other reviews as well, and it seems like a legitimately nice vehicle that's actually somewhat decent offroad. In Adventure trim, it has near best-in-class ground clearance at 8.6 in (Forester and Cherokee Trailhawk are each 8.7, IIRC) and the "dynamic torque vectoring" AWD system can handle a wheel off the ground without any fuss (albeit at a Toyota-organized press event, so grain of salt). Multi-terrain select is standard and Adventure trim has downhill assist control. I still want to find some more specifics on the AWD system though.

All that said, these things are starting to get pricey. Optioned out like I'd want (Adventure trim + moonroof + cold weather package) is just under $35k. Fully loaded is $38k-$39k. Base price is only $25,500 though, and as mentioned, comes with a lot.

12,000 RPM

I hate the way these things look. Like a Chinese 4Runner

Solid package but as you said, pricey. I am looking forward to getting a car with the latest safety features when the time comes. I imagine active cruise control will make my commute a lot nicer.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2019, 05:52:03 AM
I imagine active cruise control will make my commute a lot nicer.

I had a rental Mazda6 with active cruise control, and it made getting through Atlanta during rush hour, and even just highway cruising in general, so much more tolerable. It's the one piece of modern tech that I really want on a car of my own.

Also, forgot to mention, a bit strange that they offer Apple CarPlay but no Android Auto.

Personally, I think it looks great. This and the CX-5 are easily the best looking cars in the class, IMO.

FoMoJo

Is that a sport model or do they all have the fender cladding?  Anyways, it would be great for an active young fella out in the mountains.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 09, 2019, 09:06:42 AM
I had a rental Mazda6 with active cruise control, and it made getting through Atlanta during rush hour, and even just highway cruising in general, so much more tolerable. It's the one piece of modern tech that I really want on a car of my own.

Also, forgot to mention, a bit strange that they offer Apple CarPlay but no Android Auto.

Personally, I think it looks great. This and the CX-5 are easily the best looking cars in the class, IMO.

Toyota doesn't like googles rules about privacy and listening and data storage, IIRC

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 09, 2019, 09:14:02 AM
Is that a sport model or do they all have the fender cladding?  Anyways, it would be great for an active young fella out in the mountains.

The one in the video is the "XLE" trim, but it looks like all of the trims have the same plastic trim for both the fenders and the rocker panels. The Adventure grade gets a different front all together, and the Limited has the same shape as the base model, but a different grill insert. I'd guess that the skid plates on both Adventure and Limited are more for show than actual protection, but I'm not sure on that. It'd be nice if the Adventure at least offered some protection, though I don't think any other vehicles in the class have true skid plates (maybe the Cherokee Trailhawk).

The various trims are:
XL
XLE
XLE Premium
Adventure
Limited

With a hybrid to be added at some point.

From left to right: XLE, Adventure, Limited

2o6

I'm pretty sure the basic AWD trims have a worse AWD system than the adventure cars. And AWD hybrids are "e-4WD" which is prolly useless for your needs.

Xer0

Yeah, this thing has 3 different AWD systems, with only the Adventure trim having an AWD worth much.  I really like this new Rav4 though, and I respect that Toyota actually made the effort to bring out a trim that has some utility off road.  Pretty cool that torque vectoring is starting to trickle down this far.

BimmerM3

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that bit. The Limited trim also gets the torque vectoring AWD that the Adventure has, which includes "rear driveline disconnect" which I guess is effectively similar (even if mechanically different) to a transfer case except that it disconnects the rear instead of the front (and operate automatically, though I assume the terrain modes will "lock" the car into AWD mode).

Xer0

Yeah, but the Limited is even more expensive right?  The Adventure sounds like the trim to get, imo.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on January 09, 2019, 03:12:56 PM
Yeah, but the Limited is even more expensive right?  The Adventure sounds like the trim to get, imo.

They're about about the same. I haven't done a detailed comparison to figure out exactly what the differences are other than ride height (non-Adventure trims are slightly lower) and color selection.

BimmerM3

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 09, 2019, 01:01:05 AM
All that said, these things are starting to get pricey. Optioned out like I'd want (Adventure trim + moonroof + cold weather package) is just under $35k. Fully loaded is $38k-$39k. Base price is only $25,500 though, and as mentioned, comes with a lot.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2019, 05:52:03 AM
Solid package but as you said, pricey.

This got me thinking, and it's really not that bad compared to the rest of the compact CUV market. Obviously these aren't perfect comparisons as far as features go, but it's good for a rough idea. 

Assumptions/notes:

• Did NOT include all the various accessories, including package that are largely accessories for other marques (e.g. Chevy has an all-weather floor mats package that I skipped)
  • Did NOT include premium wheel options (except when included in trim level or some other package)
  • Did NOT include hybrid options
  • DID include premium paint and interior when available
  • DID include tow package or tow receiver, even if listed as an accessory
  • Omitted the Tiguan because NA only gets the LWB version, which is available with 7 seats, so I don't consider that "compact" anymore
  • Prices are MSRP (i.e. before incentives and fees, unless I accidentally copied the wrong thing)

This really makes the Forester seem like a steal though, since it come standard with a more advanced AWD system (compared to the RAV4's base system) and EyeSight. My ideal Forester is about $32k, but I'd even be pretty happy dropping a few of those options, which would bring it down to just under $30k. Compared to the almost $35k for the RAV4 how I'd want it.

EDIT: In case anyone cares, here's what the averages look like with the Equinox and Sorento removed.

Laconian

That fully loaded Equinox price, WTF
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2019, 12:50:52 PM
That fully loaded Equinox price, WTF

Yeah, I didn't do an actual feature comparison there to figure out why, but it's a lot.

I almost removed that one and the Sorento since they're both so expensive loaded and look bigger than the others (though I didn't compare actual dimensions).

Eye of the Tiger

That Equinox is a dreamboat. I just optioned one out to $48,980 with all the sweet accessories, including the insane destination charge of $1,195. Once again, why should I pay for shipping on a vehicle that is already in a dealer's inventory? I'll pay it if I special order something.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

How lazy do you have to be to actually use that hold feature at stop lights?  :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

veeman

GM seems to think that because people have been willing to overpay for Tahoes and Escalades, this will trickle down to the rest of their Chevy SUV line-up.  The problem being people really want Tahoes and Escalades whereas people actually comparison shop the rest of their SUVs (Not including the GMC Tahoe clone).  I got a loaded Buick Enclave a while back because it was a lot of SUV for the money.  I comparison shopped it though with the Pilot and Explorer.  If the Enclave had been significantly more than the Pilot, I wouldn't have gotten it.