Cadillac XT6 revealed

Started by 12,000 RPM, January 13, 2019, 10:06:04 AM

12,000 RPM

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/cadillac/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/jan/0113-xt6.html

Luxury:

Sport:

Inside:

QX60 (Pathfinder) fighter. I guess they are relying on the Escalade to fight the Aviator
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Glad to see that Cadillac is moving away from the clunky looking Art & Science design language; though remnants still appear on the light fixture surrounds on the front and back.  Looks pretty good. 

The front actually looks quite nice...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

"The first-ever Cadillac XT6 delivers a compelling blend of spaciousness, safety and convenience features for customers who thrive on doing it all"

God, car press releases are awful.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

It looks fine, but it doesn't look very stand out inside or out. This car would have been class leading in 2015.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on January 13, 2019, 12:03:30 PM
It looks fine, but it doesn't look very stand out inside or out. This car would have been class leading in 2015.
This would have been middle of the road in 2015. The class hasn't moved that much since then though. QX60 and MDX are unchanged IIRC

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 13, 2019, 01:07:09 PM
This would have been middle of the road in 2015. The class hasn't moved that much since then though. QX60 and MDX are unchanged IIRC

If you squint, it looks like an XC90 from the side, which is a good thing.  But the interior is, as sporty said, pretty mediocre. 

2o6

Honestly, I don't think drive wheels matter that much.

But Lincoln's interior team is beating the BRAKES off Cadillac.

Side note, I have always hated the graphic design elements of Cadillac's CUE and all the fonts they insist on using. They look dated (not in a good way), and harsh, and all of the design elements and layout look cheap and low effort.

GoCougs

GM has had a number of misfires this last little while - new Silverado (save powertrain), XT4, CT6, and now this XT6. I mean, GM is cable of doing good things there. It it only now that ze M5 and C63 are matching/surpassing the CTS-V, but that's such a niche market. ATS-V is a great example. Pretty much no one is going to pass on paying $5k more to buy an M4 or RS5. However, stick an LT-1 in the ATS-V, and the calculus changes (a la first gen CTS-V).

shp4man

Yet another overpriced, over equipped truck/station wagon hybrid. No thanks. But...but..it has WIFI!    :nutty:

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on January 13, 2019, 05:46:37 PM
GM has had a number of misfires this last little while - new Silverado (save powertrain), XT4, CT6, and now this XT6. I mean, GM is cable of doing good things there. It it only now that ze M5 and C63 are matching/surpassing the CTS-V, but that's such a niche market. ATS-V is a great example. Pretty much no one is going to pass on paying $5k more to buy an M4 or RS5. However, stick an LT-1 in the ATS-V, and the calculus changes (a la first gen CTS-V).

The ATS has other issues - microscopic back seat, 3rd rate interior, etc.  People are looking more and more for infotainment, "sporty details" power and 24 setting driving modes (of which they will use exactly one), not snorting V8's and manual boxes.  Even the A4 and C-class are luxury sedans first and foremost.  It just so happens that Audi and Mercedes know how to deliver good driving dynamics and power.

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on January 13, 2019, 05:28:29 PM
Honestly, I don't think drive wheels matter that much.

Side note, I have always hated the graphic design elements of Cadillac's CUE and all the fonts they insist on using. They look dated (not in a good way), and harsh, and all of the design elements and layout look cheap and low effort.

The class leader Lexus RX has been a FWD CUV for all of its existence.  Most people don't care, or even know.

You're right regarding the interior.  The XT6's innards looks as if they were pulled straight out of the CT6, and the CT6 was already playing second fiddle to most of its segment when it debuted almost four years ago. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on January 13, 2019, 05:28:29 PM
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

veeman

When you look at the Lincoln website for the 2020 Aviator, there are a bunch of pics of the interior.  When you look at the Cadillac website for the 2020 XT6, there's one or two pics of the interior and at a distance.  No close pics of the dash or seating.  Pricing is probably going to be equivalent, my guess around 55 to 60 grand with typical options. 

I don't think it's going to sell that well.  Car and Driver also trashed the interior but praised it's 3rd row seats and overall interior packaging saying it has a lot of room for it's footprint. 

The Aviator is going to be a thorn in this car's side. 

12,000 RPM

I think the XT6 is going to be a good bit cheaper than the Aviator. It has to be. Just look at the interiors and engines.

Quote from: Submariner on January 13, 2019, 07:13:25 PM
The ATS has other issues - microscopic back seat, 3rd rate interior, etc.  People are looking more and more for infotainment, "sporty details" power and 24 setting driving modes (of which they will use exactly one), not snorting V8's and manual boxes.  Even the A4 and C-class are luxury sedans first and foremost.  It just so happens that Audi and Mercedes know how to deliver good driving dynamics and power.
Yea, even with that LS engine the 1G CTS-V was kind of a niche also-ran........ 15 years ago

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Xer0

Man, that pricing is very ambitious.  These things will probably be trading for 20% less in real world cause that car is in no way worth that much.

giant_mtb

$56k+ to get AWD and adaptive cruise?  Blehhhhh.  I'm sure it's a nice vehicle and all, but damn.

Xer0

The most confusing part is that it will be labeled the "400" when it only has 300hp.  Why Caddy thinks that branding things off of torque is a good idea I don't know.  Why they think branding things off of newton meters of torque which the general buying public has no fucking clue anything about I am seriously worried about.  Its going to be embarrassing when your "400" branded Caddy gets smoked by a 4 cylinder German car.

Submariner

Quote from: Xer0 on March 25, 2019, 10:44:26 AM
The most confusing part is that it will be labeled the "400" when it only has 300hp.  Why Caddy thinks that branding things off of torque is a good idea I don't know.  Why they think branding things off of newton meters of torque which the general buying public has no fucking clue anything about I am seriously worried about.  Its going to be embarrassing when your "400" branded Caddy gets smoked by a 4 cylinder German car.

No one is going to be racing their Cadillac 400 or whatever vs. a Q7, but the new nomenclature is pretty stupid, yes.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Xer0 on March 25, 2019, 10:44:26 AM

What do the German numbers mean?

Nothing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner