If you can't beat 'em join 'em - Ford goes pooprod for 2020 Super Duty.

Started by GoCougs, February 06, 2019, 11:41:57 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 14, 2019, 10:56:03 AM
Or was it a modified AC Ace?
Another remarkable partnership with Ford.  "Powered by Ford" was legendary.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2019, 05:28:41 PM
Now Mustangs are running around with LS Motors in them.......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2019, 05:28:41 PM

Hng, I love those "POWERED BY FORD" valve covers... :wub:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 14, 2019, 06:48:34 PM
Agreed! Waste a perfectly good motor......
I actually haven't followed 'The Drags' for quite a while, but as torque is king at the strip, it would make a bit of sense to use a push-rod engine.  I can see that the Godzilla engine would be a popular swap for a lot of quarter mile racers.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2019, 07:06:36 PM
Some guys have no class :huh:.

When starting from the ground up (replicas, hot rods, kit cars, etc.) many just want a compact, light, simple, powerful, usable and mod-friendly engine - the GM LS/LT pooprod motor wins that competition 100 times out of 100 vs. any Ford motor ever built.

CaminoRacer

Yeah, an LS is just more manageable than a Coyote. If you've got a big Galaxy 500 or something, a Coyote would be fine. But if it's a Cobra kit, I'm gonna use an LS.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 15, 2019, 07:31:47 AM
I actually haven't followed 'The Drags' for quite a while, but as torque is king at the strip, it would make a bit of sense to use a push-rod engine.  I can see that the Godzilla engine would be a popular swap for a lot of quarter mile racers.

Actually, power is king at the drag strip.

Since this is an all-new engine, aftermarket support for parts needed (hi-po heads, cams, etc.) is a long way off, if ever. If a variation of this motor gets rolled out to the Mustang, that would greatly speed the development of such parts.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 15, 2019, 09:17:41 AM
Yeah, an LS is just more manageable than a Coyote. If you've got a big Galaxy 500 or something, a Coyote would be fine. But if it's a Cobra kit, I'm gonna use an LS.

Well, to be fair, if I wanted to do a Cobra replica or modified Ford product in general, I'd go for Ford's closest approximate of an LS/LT - a Windsor with modern stuffs - stroker crank, roller cam, FI. It's not as good a motor as the LS/LT, but it's pretty good and more than enough.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on February 15, 2019, 10:52:02 AM
Well, to be fair, if I wanted to do a Cobra replica or modified Ford product in general, I'd go for Ford's closest approximate of an LS/LT - a Windsor with modern stuffs - stroker crank, roller cam, FI. It's not as good a motor as the LS/LT, but it's pretty good and more than enough.

I'll go with a 3.8 Essex V6 with the improved intake of 99+
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

I'd stick with carbs. FI is for pansies.

I might do a carb'd LS3 in the El Camino if I don't just rebuild the current engine when the time comes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 15, 2019, 11:19:59 AM

I might do a carb'd LS3 in the El Camino if I don't just rebuild the current engine when the time comes.

But FI is so reliable and accurate. I mainly dislike the throttle response and limitations of throttle by wire.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 15, 2019, 09:17:41 AM
You could be the first to squeeze a Godzilla into a Cobra kit :ohyeah:.

FoMoJo

Lots of Windsor crate engines available for reasonable prices.  Stroker 347 is a great idea.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 15, 2019, 11:19:59 AM

A brace of four duel throat Webers with short chrome velocity stacks would be perfect.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 15, 2019, 10:46:54 AM
Actually, power is king at the drag strip.

Since this is an all-new engine, aftermarket support for parts needed (hi-po heads, cams, etc.) is a long way off, if ever. If a variation of this motor gets rolled out to the Mustang, that would greatly speed the development of such parts.
We've had this discussion before.  Low end torque to get off the line.  This is why the 428 CJ cleaned up at the '68 Winternationals.  The 428 used the 406 block, biggest production bore, and 410 crank, longest production stroke in order to achieve a lot of low end grunt.  It was also a great stop light racer.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 15, 2019, 12:22:28 PM
We've had this discussion before.  Low end torque to get off the line.  This is why the 428 CJ cleaned up at the '68 Winternationals.  The 428 used the 406 block, biggest production bore, and 410 crank, longest production stroke in order to achieve a lot of low end grunt.  It was also a great stop light racer.

Winning drag races starts by revving up against a high stall converter or clutch dump and holding the revs high and tight through the gears till the end - this means lots of RPM and lots of power, preferably in a light car and/or car with good weight transfer (Mopar B-body). This is why the solid-lifter (high revving) Chevy L-88, ZL-1 and LS-6 and the ginormous breathing Mopar 440-6 and 426 Hemi rule the Pure Stock Muscle Car class: https://www.psmcdr.com/all-time-lists.

The "torque monster" GM 400/455s or 429 CJs make only the rare appearance. Fun to cruise around town and to play around and the like, but they're winning few drag races, all else equal (factory stock vs. factory stock), vs. the solid lifter/high RPM or ginormous breathing big blocks of the era.