The Official Mustang Thread

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:07:09 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: 565 on January 31, 2020, 08:09:09 PM
Don't you know?  The GT500 needs a prepped surface to perform.  It's not Ford's fault, it's your fault for not having a prepped surface at all times under the car.
And the ZL1 needs fat sticky tires for it's short hops, until the GT500 blasts by it. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

And that was a M/T ZL1 to boot. But from a dig (not ET) the GT500 is gonna lose due to that weird ass launch delay. The driver and signaler would have to be in cahoots for a GT500 win.

The GT500 will be quicker if/when the launch control is right, but the launch control is such a mess.

FoMoJo

I suspect, on a loose track, that the launch delay is due to lack of grip.  It's pretty obvious that the GT500 is capable of 10s when it can "get a grip."  A set of sticky tires would make a big difference.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 05, 2020, 07:31:16 AM
I suspect, on a loose track, that the launch delay is due to lack of grip.  It's pretty obvious that the GT500 is capable of 10s when it can "get a grip."  A set of sticky tires would make a big difference.

No, there's something hinky with the way they set up the launch control.  There's a delay from when you lift the brake and when it actually launches.  If you get familiar enough with the car, you could probably compensate for it, but it makes it nigh impossible for the typical journalist who only gets the car for a few days or a week to really get the best out of it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 05, 2020, 04:05:02 PM
No, there's something hinky with the way they set up the launch control.  There's a delay from when you lift the brake and when it actually launches.  If you get familiar enough with the car, you could probably compensate for it, but it makes it nigh impossible for the typical journalist who only gets the car for a few days or a week to really get the best out of it.

A .400 or .500 second delay like one would find in a delay box for bracket racing?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 05, 2020, 07:31:16 AM

There's a delay of some sort before the clutches engage - it's not a traction issue, but a delay by design.

A stock GT500 will never run 10s, and shown by virtually an unlimited number of independent tests. Gearing, launch control, traction, weight - it's not gonna happen.

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on February 01, 2020, 06:48:06 PM
Decent showing for the GT350

https://youtu.be/y7dwuvVeD3k

While the GT500 doesn't interest me one bit, but the GT350 and GT350R are mighty compelling.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 05, 2020, 04:38:09 PM
There's a delay of some sort before the clutches engage - it's not a traction issue, but a delay by design.

A stock GT500 will never run 10s, and shown by virtually an unlimited number of independent tests. Gearing, launch control, traction, weight - it's not gonna happen.
Of course ignoring/denying that the GT500 has run 10s, several times at real drag strips where times count as well, does not change reality.

Reality is that the GT500 does just about everything better than the ZL1 save for short hops on surfaces where fat sticky tires provide better grip.  That doesn't mean the ZL1 isn't a very competent muscle car.  It's just that Ford has one upped GM with the GT500. ;)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on February 06, 2020, 06:00:50 AM
While the GT500 doesn't interest me one bit, but the GT350 and GT350R are mighty compelling.
The GT350 and GT350R are special.

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 06, 2020, 07:30:15 AM
Of course ignoring/denying that the GT500 has run 10s, several times at real drag strips where times count as well, does not change reality.

Reality is that the GT500 does just about everything better than the ZL1 save for short hops on surfaces where fat sticky tires provide better grip.  That doesn't mean the ZL1 isn't a very competent muscle car.  It's just that Ford has one upped GM with the GT500. ;)

Then why did it lose the only published magazine comparison published so far from the big 3?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30540966/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-vs-2019-chevy-camaro-zl1-1le/

"Unfortunately, the Mustang's steering is numb compared to the Camaro's, and its chassis isn't as sorted. The ZL1 is more stable, and it puts its power down better with its wider rubber, a more sophisticated traction-control system, and an excellent electronic limited-slip differential. Toss it around, and the Shelby feels smaller and lighter than it is, but it's also a bit skittish and less forgiving. It always feels like one false move, one mistake, one miscalculation, and you could easily end up in a ditch."

"Although both cars offer the kind of speed better suited for the track, the Camaro is easier to drive quickly. The fun is more accessible and therefore more easily enjoyed. "

"e Camaro's Recaro seats are even more comfortable than the Mustang's—and the Mustang has outstanding seats—and the driving position is spot on. Despite its significant discount, the ZL1 was also packed with features not found on our Mustang, including navigation, heated and cooled seats, a heated steering wheel, a back seat, power seats, and wireless phone charging."

"There's a lot we love about the GT500—the ride quality, interior design, and its more sophisticated powertrain—but the more affordable ZL1 1LE manages to match or surpass the Shelby's performance while offering a much longer list of features."

The ZL1 beats the GT500 in the thing that matters most to me, driving satisfaction, and it's available with a real man's transmission unlike the GT500.  I don't buy a high performance vehicle for it's ride quality, interior design, and how good the auto is if there is a manual choice.  This GT500 is just like the last one.  Big horsepower that it can't put down and wonky driving dynamics.

FoMoJo

Cheaper with fat sticky tires good for short hops.  Not a lot to give the ZL1 the edge.  Ahh, but it has heated and cooled seats. :lol:

SJ_GTI

Cooled seats for all the butt hurt.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 06, 2020, 07:30:15 AM

All the legit tests (i.e., not private, non-filmed Ford events) I can Google show 11.3-11.5 consistently for a stock GT500.

The GT500 has big numbers and hype, but it's simply not the dialed performer the ZL1 is, which has been the GT500's MO since its reintroduction.

CaminoRacer

Can the GT500 run 10s with a quick tire change? I don't really care about stock tire tests considering that's the easiest thing to modify and most people get different tires after the stock ones wear out anyway.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on February 05, 2020, 04:05:02 PM

//M cars have the same delay

Also, reaction time (basically what the delay hits) doesn't get counted in an ET on a drag strip
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 06, 2020, 09:17:55 AM
All the legit tests (i.e., not private, non-filmed Ford events) I can Google show 11.3-11.5 consistently for a stock GT500.

The GT500 has big numbers and hype, but it's simply not the dialed performer the ZL1 is, which has been the GT500's MO since its reintroduction.
C & D say "But these are muscle cars, and it's the quarter-mile that really matters."  Even though the GT500 bested the ZL1 in a drag "race", I'll wait for the results at a real drag strip.

In the meantime...https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a30535279/shelby-gt500-camaro-zl1-challenger-redeye-drag-race/

As confirmed by Edmunds' instrumented testing, the Shelby GT500 was the clear victor, running the quarter-mile in 11.3 seconds. Next came the Camaro, which overcame its significant power deficit and put up an 11.6-second quarter-mile pass. That was a tenth quicker than the Challenger.

All three cars were hampered by traction issues. A non-1LE Camaro ZL1 may have done better on this particular day, as the 1LE comes equipped with aggressive track-day tires that struggled to heat up. And even though the Challenger has wide tires under its embiggened fenders, it still couldn't get all of its 797 horsepower to the ground. Edmunds predicts that on a prepped surface with drag radials, the finishing order of the three would be about the same.

Still making excuses for the Chevy :huh:.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 06, 2020, 09:45:01 AM
Can the GT500 run 10s with a quick tire change? I don't really care about stock tire tests considering that's the easiest thing to modify and most people get different tires after the stock ones wear out anyway.

They'll run 10s on a prepped surface with the OE tires.  I posted a video from some vloggers who got into the 10s at one of Ford's press days at LVMS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

... Meanwhile a 911s will run a 11.3s quarter mile all day long with a couple hundred less hp...

-yawn-

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on February 06, 2020, 04:42:54 PM
... Meanwhile a 911s will run a 11.3s quarter mile all day long with a couple hundred less hp...

-yawn-

Meanwhile my bike will do 11 flat all day long with over 300 fewer hp than a 911...

r0t0r shrug
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 06, 2020, 04:42:54 PM

-yawn-

C8 runs 11.2

#centimated

giant_mtb

My 230cc dirtbike will do 0-60 in like 12 seconds in the woods on a trail that nunna these cars could ever go down. 

GoCougs

Another comparo: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30870010/2020-muscle-car-showdown/

First: Camaro ZL1 1LE
2nd: GT500
3rd: Hellcat Redeye

In short, this went down pretty much like the other comparos - the Camaro is the most dialed and best to performance drive yet cheapest, Mustang best daily driver but not dialed and expensive, and the Hellcat is a hot mess of power and fun but ancient and unrefined.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on February 12, 2020, 12:54:38 PM
Another comparo: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30870010/2020-muscle-car-showdown/

First: Camaro ZL1 1LE
2nd: GT500
3rd: Hellcat Redeye

In short, this went down pretty much like the other comparos - the Camaro is the most dialed and best to performance drive yet cheapest, Mustang best daily driver but not dialed and expensive, and the Hellcat is a hot mess of power and fun but ancient and unrefined.
Still waiting for some tests on real race tracks.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 12, 2020, 01:16:31 PM
Still waiting for some tests on real race tracks.

Track duties were at Willows, which is as legit track as any. And even if not tested at Willows, how would "real race tracks" affect the results in these camparos? Noted acceleration and track times are roughly equivalent with the Camaro taking the win for noted race/track advantage in better steering, braking, handling, balance, weight and differential (plus it costs less).

And really, they're about tied, if one subtracts out points for goofy stuff like cargo space.

The GT500 is a fine car, Ford just should have focused.