Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

heelntoe

I think I need to do that for my NC as well. The previous owner told me it already came with a module, but I found out the hard way at a stop light last week.
@heelntoe

CaminoRacer

I installed a new front sway bar yesterday. Karcepts 3-piece bar. Costs 2-3x more than typical aftermarket 1-piece bars, but it's a PITA to remove and install 1-piece bars on NDs. (The bar sits on top of the subframe, so removal/installation requires a lot unbolting parts and tetris.)

To install this bar, I just cut the stock bar in half so I could easily pull it out, and then this bar slides right into place and then you bolt on the end pieces.

It does well to neutralize the handling with my stiffer springs and stock rear bar. I was pretty happy with it during today's autocross. Had it set in the middle holes and didn't bother adjusting it.

CaminoRacer

Eye of the Tiger

Fast car go bruum and win race?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 19, 2022, 04:38:46 PM
Fast car go bruum and win race?

2nd in class, 32nd overall (out of 110)

My old Bridgestone RE-71R are outclassed by the Yokohama AO52s.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 19, 2022, 04:44:50 PM
2nd in class, 32nd overall (out of 110)

My old Bridgestone RE-71R are outclassed by the Yokohama AO52s.

Nice.
Get some Hoosiers :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Fun!!!

Scrappy's battery was TOAST after not being used for 10 months. $200 for a new one!

Took lots of cranking to fire up, but it's running like a purring kitten!!  I forgot how much FUN go karting on streets is. :lol:

Appointment for new tires fell through because they didn't have ANY in the right size. We have another appointment for next Saturday.
Will

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Looks so good!!!! Great pictures!

It's been a couple days since I got Miata fun. No rain tomorrow though! :)
Will

CaminoRacer

I can't decide if I should blow way too much money on a lightweight LiFePo battery, an Optima yellowtop that's about the same weight as stock, or just a normal battery.

https://flyinmiata.com/products/anti-gravity-51r-24-lithium-battery

Laconian

The weight reduction on the battery is pretty substantial, no? People spend $$$ to shed pounds :mrcool:

giant_mtb

Depends on the use case, at the end of the day. I'd never run a LiPo/LiFePo battery because of cold weather. They're useless when temps get towards/below freezing. But if you keep it on a trickle charger, probably a non issue.

There's a reason Optimas are Optimas. I've seen vehicles that have sat for a couple years fire right up with an Optima. No chance in hell that would happen with a lightweight battery.

Laconian

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on December 19, 2022, 07:26:21 PM
The weight reduction on the battery is pretty substantial, no? People spend $$$ to shed pounds :mrcool:

Around $400 extra to save around 17 lbs

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 19, 2022, 07:46:30 PM
Depends on the use case, at the end of the day. I'd never run a LiPo/LiFePo battery because of cold weather. They're useless when temps get towards/below freezing. But if you keep it on a trickle charger, probably a non issue.

There's a reason Optimas are Optimas. I've seen vehicles that have sat for a couple years fire right up with an Optima. No chance in hell that would happen with a lightweight battery.

Supposedly the Antigravity 51R has enough cranking amps and capacity to be fine in the cold. But I guess I wouldn't know until I try it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 19, 2022, 10:15:15 PM
Around $400 extra to save around 17 lbs

Supposedly the Antigravity 51R has enough cranking amps and capacity to be fine in the cold. But I guess I wouldn't know until I try it.

Directly in the product description...

"Why wouldn't you want this setup? Fair question. For the bigger lithium batteries we sell (vs. the smaller ND setup), there's really only one drawback - performance in cold weather. If your car is frequently stored in freezing conditions (a warm garage when it's cold outside doesn't count) or frequently driven and parked in <20°F / -7°C conditions, this isn't the battery for you."

Not a chance/risk I would take (currently 16F outside), but like I said, depends on your use case.

AutobahnSHO

I found myself browsing auto PRHT NCs this week.....    :mask:

The weather here is almost always good enough for top down, but when it's raining I don't like to drive Scrappy because of visibility, traction, add the top rain noise and it gets pretty bad.

Wife has only driven Scrappy twice- once to get used to it, once because she had to. Auto she would be more likely to drive it if needed, would be nice cruiser for trips, and as I get older my carthusiasm may wane....
Will

Laconian

Well, there's more than just the transmission when it comes to comfort in a car. Does waifu like sitting low, the seats, the headlight glare, the noise? Miatas offer lots of thrills but they do give up creature comforts.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 20, 2022, 12:39:17 PM
Well, there's more than just the transmission when it comes to comfort in a car. Does waifu like sitting low, the seats, the headlight glare, the noise? Miatas offer lots of thrills but they do give up creature comforts.

They're not the most luxurious but she does indeed love "toodling" around in the open air when we're just out together. I'm telling you, the weather is so nice here for convertible most of the year!!
Will

AutobahnSHO

I browse bimmer verts too, but they're $$$. The Solara is ugly but I look at those also. We both hated driving a Murano from New York to Utah or I'd want to find one of those in a drop top. :lol:  She's won't consider a PT Cruiser based only on looks. Jeeps aren't good road cars and $ to maintain.
Will

Laconian

G37 vert. Very reliable powertrain, quite fast and makes good noise, attractive especially with the top up.

Wow, they actually appreciated since I sold mine five years ago. :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

Keep current Miata and add an NC PRHT. Do it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 20, 2022, 04:41:15 AM
Directly in the product description...

"Why wouldn't you want this setup? Fair question. For the bigger lithium batteries we sell (vs. the smaller ND setup), there's really only one drawback - performance in cold weather. If your car is frequently stored in freezing conditions (a warm garage when it's cold outside doesn't count) or frequently driven and parked in <20°F / -7°C conditions, this isn't the battery for you."

Not a chance/risk I would take (currently 16F outside), but like I said, depends on your use case.

Mine is usually in the garage overnight, so it'd just be daytime temps to worry about. Usually stays above 20F, there's probably only a handful of days that have lower highs than that

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 20, 2022, 06:34:01 PM
Keep current Miata and add an NC PRHT. Do it.

Haha wife won't go for that. Or if we ever get Maverick I'd keep it and Odyssey. (EDIT, she would want to get rid of one and only keep 2 cars + Scrappy)

We have room for 2 cars in garage, 2 in driveway, and 3 on the street before it gets "too" crowded LOLOLOL

As long as I'm still in uniform SC waives most of our vehicle taxes, so it's basically just cheap liability and maintenance to keep up on....
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 20, 2022, 06:34:51 PM
Mine is usually in the garage overnight, so it'd just be daytime temps to worry about. Usually stays above 20F, there's probably only a handful of days that have lower highs than that

I guess it comes down to price and weight savings, then. I could never bring myself to spend that much on a battery, but I'm also not trying to save weight. Taco's next battery will probably be an Optima redtop. lol

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 20, 2022, 06:33:51 PM
G37 vert. Very reliable powertrain, quite fast and makes good noise, attractive especially with the top up.

Wow, they actually appreciated since I sold mine five years ago. :facepalm:

yeah these are still money too
https://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/d/augusta-selling-2010-lexus-sc430-2dr/7560840698.html
Will

Laconian

Oh, a Lexus V8. Not great for fuel economy but so freaking smooth...