Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 13, 2022, 09:45:53 AM
Spent 5 hours doing electric diag on GMT900 for no crank no start. Found it needs a PCM.

It's never the PCM. Except when it is.

I had a Chrysler Cirrus that had a crank won't start problem while I was on a trip. I couldn't figure out what was going on so we towed it to a dealership and it turned out to be the PCM. They replaced it with a refurbished PCM and charged me a bunch of money. About a month later the refurbished PCM went out and a local dealership replaced it and told me that the previous dealership shouldn't have charged me even though the car was out of warranty. Apparently the PCM falls under the extended emissions warranty so I was able to get my money back from the first repair.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 13, 2022, 11:30:37 AM
I had a Chrysler Cirrus that had a crank won't start problem while I was on a trip. I couldn't figure out what was going on so we towed it to a dealership and it turned out to be the PCM. They replaced it with a refurbished PCM and charged me a bunch of money. About a month later the refurbished PCM went out and a local dealership replaced it and told me that the previous dealership shouldn't have charged me even though the car was out of warranty. Apparently the PCM falls under the extended emissions warranty so I was able to get my money back from the first repair.

Terrible mid 90s Chrysler products and terrible mid 90s Chrysler customer service.  Name a more iconic duo.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

RomanChariot

Quote from: Submariner on January 13, 2022, 12:35:44 PM
Terrible mid 90s Chrysler products and terrible mid 90s Chrysler customer service.  Name a more iconic duo.

Abbott and Costello?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

r0tor

Replaced brake caliper #3 of the JGC over the weekend.  Saved ~$500 but doing it in my 30 deg garage sucked.

Found on the last inspection the dealer gorilla installed the lugnuts.  On one wheel 4 out of the 5 maxed out my 200lbft impact gun and the 5th is on so good the lugnut decided to start deforming instead of loosening.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on January 24, 2022, 12:09:08 PM
Replaced brake caliper #3 of the JGC over the weekend.  Saved ~$500 but doing it in my 30 deg garage sucked.

Found on the last inspection the dealer gorilla installed the lugnuts.  On one wheel 4 out of the 5 maxed out my 200lbft impact gun and the 5th is on so good the lugnut decided to start deforming instead of loosening.

The last thing you ever want to do is break a stud on a newer JGC. You have to press the wheel bearing out to replace them.

Eye of the Tiger

Why am I the only one left at the shop with over an hour until closing?

Oh yeah, shop for man.

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on January 24, 2022, 12:09:08 PM

There is only one setting for dealer/tire shop gorillas' impact guns: MAX.
Same with tire inflators.
And the max fill line on oil dipsticks....that's the base reference line for the next five quarts.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Eye of the Tiger

Rusty plow truck comes in.
Had lifetime warranty muffler installed 9 years ago.
Muffler has small rust hole. Rest of system is rotted to shit, leaking at every gasket, manifold, etc.
Customer just wants the free muffler.
Do I just hang it there in the middle?

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 03, 2022, 08:52:50 AM
Rusty plow truck comes in.
Had lifetime warranty muffler installed 9 years ago.
Muffler has small rust hole. Rest of system is rotted to shit, leaking at every gasket, manifold, etc.
Customer just wants the free muffler.
Do I just hang it there in the middle?

But....but.....IT'S FREEEEEEEEEE    :lol:

You mean my warranty doesn't cover that?   What a crappy warranty!  You suck!  :muffin: ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 03, 2022, 11:08:59 AM
But....but.....IT'S FREEEEEEEEEE    :lol:

You mean my warranty doesn't cover that?   What a crappy warranty!  You suck!  :muffin: ;)

Yes. The customer is pissed and raising hell, but my service writer is such a smooth talker that we got him to agree to $900 in work. :cheers:

Eye of the Tiger

And then this fucking thing shows up...

That's a Chevy Colorado, single cab, on an extended cab frame... I can't even

Laconian

Why not? The joy of BOF.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 03, 2022, 03:14:01 PM
Why not? The joy of BOF.

Because it has an EVAP leak and won't pass emissions, and all the fuel lines are cobbled together.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 03, 2022, 03:12:39 PM
And then this fucking thing shows up...

That's a Chevy Colorado, single cab, on an extended cab frame... I can't even

How is that even possible?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

It looks like he just threw a tool chest in between the cab and the box and didn't even bother to fasten it in.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on February 03, 2022, 11:37:41 PM
It looks like he just threw a tool chest in between the cab and the box and didn't even bother to fasten it in.

It's bolted on with some angle steel. High quality.

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 04, 2022, 05:45:20 AM
It's bolted on with some angle steel. High quality.

He should have made an extended cab with some scrap sheet metal and plexiglass.

Eye of the Tiger

Scooby-Doo towed in not running.
Check oil. None.
Add 4 quarts (capacity 4.2).
Turn motor over by hand, hard stop piston-to-valve.
Check timing belt, one bank 5 teeth off.
Reset timing. Cranks right up and runs smoothly on all cylinders.
WTF.

Eye of the Tiger

So here I am about to do a clutch on a B5 S4. 13+ hours of labor. Why did I say I could do this?

Eye of the Tiger

Just give me a check engine light to clear or something. I don't want to do this right now.  :hammerhead:

RomanChariot

Are you going to be able to drop the transmission from under the car or do you have to remove the engine?