Rental Car thread

Started by Laconian, February 27, 2017, 08:50:47 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 06, 2022, 01:06:32 PM
Driving dynamics .... Sentra?  :confused:

Only being compared because they're the same class and I've rented both in the past year
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 06, 2022, 02:16:54 PM
Only being compared because they're the same class and I've rented both in the past year

The Corolla must be a total piece of garbage.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Speed_Racer

Apparently the Sentra really stepped it up a notch. GF's company car is a Corolla and it's a dog. We both hate driving it.

Morris Minor

Going to California in a couple of weeks - have reserved a full-size SUV, "Tahoe or similar." Figured it would be interesting to experience what will probably be among the last of the full meal deal V8 American gas guzzlers. My wallet is limbering up for California gasoline prices.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 07, 2022, 05:16:48 AM
Going to California in a couple of weeks - have reserved a full-size SUV, "Tahoe or similar." Figured it would be interesting to experience what will probably be among the last of the full meal deal V8 American gas guzzlers. My wallet is limbering up for California gasoline prices.

You're looking at high $5s for regular and if you're in more liberal cities, it'll probably be $6 min. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 06, 2022, 02:19:19 PM
The Corolla must be a total piece of garbage.

It's fine, just not enthusiast or sporty at all. The dumb gas pedal surges when you take off from a stop. Very hard to take off smoothly unless you just want to commit and floor it

Morris Minor

Tahoe with dugga-dugga-dugga awesome quad tailpipes. GM's greatest legacy will be its mellifluous V8 exhaust note. Here, in this Napa CA hotel parking lot, littered with EVs & hybrids, it juts proud toxic masculinity.

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

Might end up using Turo again in London this summer. Enterprise has no cars available and Avis wants like 500 pounds for 2 days. Turo is a normal 30-50 pounds/day for a small car.

Rich

what about sixt?   I loved their cars
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

Tolls are 'spensive if you're renting.

Total Toll Amount : $16.05
eToll Convenience Fee : $11.90
$5.95 per usage day, max $29.75 per rental

Total Charges : $27.95

Rental Agency : Avis

Tolling Summary
Golden Gate Bridge $9.05
Carquinez Bridge $7.00

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on April 23, 2022, 04:46:36 AM
what about sixt?   I loved their cars

They're around $195/day for June.

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 05, 2022, 12:40:33 PM
Tolls are 'spensive if you're renting.

Total Toll Amount : $16.05
eToll Convenience Fee : $11.90
$5.95 per usage day, max $29.75 per rental

Total Charges : $27.95

Rental Agency : Avis

Tolling Summary
Golden Gate Bridge $9.05
Carquinez Bridge $7.00

I think I paid the toll online for the GG Bridge instead of going through the rental car company. I paid Enterprise for the tolls around Miami, though. That cost me around $25-30 in the end too with all of the fees.

CaminoRacer

I've got a manual Citroen C3 Aircross or similar booked for London this summer. (Need a car to get to the Goodwood Festival of Speed)

Driving a stickshift with my left hand will be fun. :mask:

Laconian

Lucky, I want to try RHD stickshift!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

afty

I drove a RHD stick Opel Astra in Ireland about 10 years ago.  It was super weird, and even after a week it still didn't feel natural.

Laconian

Any embarassing misshifts?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on May 28, 2022, 05:12:21 PM
I drove a RHD stick Opel Astra in Ireland about 10 years ago.  It was super weird, and even after a week it still didn't feel natural.

Using both your left hand and left foot seems unbalanced.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 28, 2022, 09:53:45 PM
Using both your left hand and left foot seems unbalanced.
Right foot on the wheel and right foot on the gas.  It balances out.

Many years ago, decades, we rented a small Metro for a week to tour the country.  I was concerned, but after a few stops and starts, it seemed pretty natural.  My only real concern was the roundabouts.  They've got some pretty tricky ones.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

In CA with in-laws so they rented a van. Grand Caravan. Total piece of garbage. Least comfortable van seats I've ever sat in and horrible squeaking trim pieces,

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 02, 2022, 08:11:35 PM
In CA with in-laws so they rented a van. Grand Caravan. Total piece of garbage. Least comfortable van seats I've ever sat in and horrible squeaking trim pieces,

Stow n Go seats make it all worth it!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Ended up with an MG hatchback in England instead of a Citroen. Decent little car. Stickshift with the left hand isn't too bad, nor is driving on the left.I had to pay more attention to keeping the car in the narrow lanes though, since I'm sitting in the other side so I have to hug the right lane marker instead of the left. (And the roads are narrow so you do literally hug the line)

All the roundabouts are very fun with a little stickshift hatchback

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 27, 2022, 04:38:35 AM

All the roundabouts are very fun with a little stickshift hatchback

Roundabouts are wonderful. America's obsession with Stop signs is weird & unnatural.

AutobahnSHO

I am soooooooo upset they replaced a roundabout here with a frakkin stoplight. Not once before did I have to stop....
Will

afty

On a family vacation and have a 2021 Sienna hybrid. It's not bad. I'm averaging 31 mpg in mixed driving. Also the radar cruise + lane keeping is surprisingly good, though not as good as Autopilot in my Model 3. It tends to ping pong around the lane and isn't great when there's any curve to the road. But it's still helpful on long drives.

veeman

That a 4,600 lb car with the shape of a refrigerator has better fuel economy than my 2800 lb compact hatchback...

mzziaz

In UK atm and got a Vauxhall (Opel) Grandland X. I don't like it. Flimsy, light steering, and below par build quality.

I find Opel after PSA turnover to be pretty boring stuff.

Also, first time driving on the left side of the road :mask:
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

Are they still using their same platforms from the GM days, or did they switch over to PSA underpinnings?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on August 04, 2022, 12:42:36 PM
That a 4,600 lb car with the shape of a refrigerator has better fuel economy than my 2800 lb compact hatchback...

The technology is amazing!
Will

mzziaz

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 04, 2022, 02:42:55 PM
Are they still using their same platforms from the GM days, or did they switch over to PSA underpinnings?

PSA (Peugeot) platforms
Cuore Sportivo

Speed_Racer

I spent a few days in NC visiting some extended family and found an A4 hiding between some generic sedans/CUVs in the Emerald Exec. lane at National. This one had <250 miles on it and still smelled like new car. It turned out to be a great choice for the highways & mountain roads I ended up taking. Surprisingly good gas mileage.

But it's disappointing that radar cruise & blind spot monitoring were absent. At least it had Android Auto.