Started by CaminoRacer, August 03, 2018, 04:07:43 PM

Have you bought Grey Poupon recently?

Yes
5 (38.5%)
No
8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

CaminoRacer

The definition of recently is up to you.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Yes, I use it for vinegarettes.

I use moutard de Meaux (Pommery) when I want something whole grain and strong.

The best I've found is very fresh Maille. Cheap in France and WOW it clears the sinuses, but without the aid of horseradish.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Question inspired by this: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/08/02/635129556/grey-poupon-and-the-cultural-divide

"GARCIA: And this new working paper by economists Marianne Bertrand and Emir Kamenica explores that possibility. It explores whether the cultural distance between rich people and poor people has increased over time. In other words, it explores the question of whether the things that people do and the things that they buy and how they spend their time, whether those things have diverged between rich and poor over time. And how these economists investigated this issue is almost as interesting as what they ended up finding out.

VANEK SMITH: OK. Here's how this works. Let's say you were talking to someone you've never met, and you only know that she's either rich or she's poor, but she's not middle class. So this means she either lives in a household with a really high income in the top 25 percent of all American households or she lives in a household that is in the bottom 25 percent. That is all you know. And you only get to ask her one question about a consumer brand that she uses. What is the one brand you should ask her about to determine whether she is rich or whether she is poor, the one brand that if she says, yes, I use that best predicts that she is rich? Here's Emir.

EMIR KAMENICA: The question that's most discriminating between the rich and poor in the first year of the data, which is 1992, is did you buy Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard?

VANEK SMITH: It's in the mustard. Back in 1992, the brand you should have asked about to answer this question is Grey Poupon Mustard, even more than Kodak film or Scotch tape.

GARCIA: But that is only one measure and in one specific year of behavior that helps to measure that cultural distance between rich and poor. And in their paper, Marianne and Emir include lots of other examples that they pulled from a variety of data sets that go back decades. Like, what brand of TV do you own, or even what brand of sandwich bag do you buy? These things also help predict whether someone was rich or poor."

CaminoRacer

Can I find Maille here in Utah? Sounds like I need to try it.

Lebowski

Nope, and never been a mustard or Dijon fan.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Lebowski on August 03, 2018, 05:48:34 PM
Nope, and never been a mustard or Dijon fan.

This explains why you had to pawn off the M3

CALL_911

No but I do like it. I like mustard a lot

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

I like Grey Poupon but I like most mustards. Especially with pretzels.  Carb heaven. 

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 03, 2018, 04:15:33 PM
Can I find Maille here in Utah? Sounds like I need to try it.

The thing is, it has to be fresh. We smuggled back a bunch of jars in our suitcases and it turned into Regular Old Mustard after 6 months.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on August 03, 2018, 06:22:30 PM
I like Grey Poupon but I like most mustards. Especially with pretzels.  Carb heaven. 

Dang

Edit: lol meant to quote Lac not veeman. Yummy mustard on a pretzel sounds great, not dang-able.

FoMoJo

I like a nice snappy Dijon mustard, especially on a sandwich with a nice thick piece of ham freshly sliced off of a ham shoulder just out of the oven, but I don't know if I ever had Grey Poupon Dijon.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 03, 2018, 06:13:37 PM

This explains why you had to pawn off the M3

It explains a lot of things.

When I was younger I outright hated mustard. My aversion to it isn't as strong as it used to be, to the point on certain things, particularly a Cuban sandwich, I'll admit it belongs and will leave it on.  There's even a mustard based bbq sauce (Blues Hog) I like enough to keep a squeeze bottle of it in the fridge at all times for certain things ie pork. But generally, I don't like mustard and especially don't like dijon mustard. Horseradish also is something I don't like, I can't stand it.

12,000 RPM

I cook a lot with mustard, but cheapo spicy brown private label shit. The way I use it makes it subtle
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 03, 2018, 07:22:43 PM
I like a nice snappy Dijon mustard, especially on a sandwich with a nice thick piece of ham freshly sliced off of a ham shoulder just out of the oven, but I don't know if I ever had Grey Poupon Dijon.

Mmm yes.

And Cubans are great too.

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on August 03, 2018, 04:13:25 PM

The best I've found is very fresh Maille. Cheap in France and WOW it clears the sinuses, but without the aid of horseradish.

They actually buy most of their mustard seed from Canada.

Galaxy

r0tor

I love spicy brown mustard, but have no Grey poupon
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

My wife I and went to the National Mustard Museum last year (Middleton WI.)

Try Edmond Fallot Walnut Dijon: it's really quite good y'know.

Kevin is right that they lose their piquance if stored too long.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

SJ_GTI

So I am one of only two people who have bought it?

Honestly I don't think Grey Poupon is particularly expensive. I do buy it but the price isn't that much more than normal yellow mustard and it does have a better flavor (imo). It comes in a standard plastic squeeze bottle just like any other mustard.  :huh:

edit: so i just poked around on amazon and yeah grey poupon is a little more expensive than the basic heinz/guldens, but it is way cheaper than the specialty mustards.

mzziaz

Is grey poupon like dijon mustard, btw?
Cuore Sportivo

shp4man

I think I saw that Rolls in the video on the freeway yesterday..no kidding.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on August 08, 2018, 08:37:02 AM
Is grey poupon like dijon mustard, btw?

Yeah, its a brand of dijon mustard. For a long time in the '80s and '90s it was really the only alternative to the bright yellow French's stuff in a lot of places.

It was this commercial that cemented its place in US pop culture.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOCOm9Z0YE

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 08, 2018, 06:29:49 AM
So I am one of only two people who have bought it?

Honestly I don't think Grey Poupon is particularly expensive. I do buy it but the price isn't that much more than normal yellow mustard and it does have a better flavor (imo). It comes in a standard plastic squeeze bottle just like any other mustard.  :huh:

edit: so i just poked around on amazon and yeah grey poupon is a little more expensive than the basic heinz/guldens, but it is way cheaper than the specialty mustards.

I think there are 3. Me, Kevin, & you.

I'm not a big fan of yellow mustard anymore. It's too plain. Grey Poupon and pepperjack cheese on a ham sandwich are my go-tos.

Brown deli mustard is good too. I just go for Grey Poupon since it's what my Dad gets. Specifically the coarser country style.

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2018, 10:15:01 AM
Damn yoopers.

Go back to your deer jerky and potatoes.

You know what goes great on deer jerky and potatoes?

Mustard.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2018, 10:15:01 AM
Damn yoopers.

Go back to your deer jerky and potatoes.

I'm just a very plain/picky eater.  I enjoy other condiments (ketchup, RANCH, etc.), but have never liked mustard.  Makes me gag.

CaminoRacer

But have your tried non-yellow mustard?

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 08, 2018, 10:30:30 AM
But have your tried non-yellow mustard?

A few times, and always by accident...order a sandwich...ask for no fancy mustard...still get fancy mustard...blech.  One time I did force it down, but it ruined the sandwich for me.