Ford Maverick

Started by Payman, June 08, 2021, 10:24:43 AM

AutobahnSHO

I see LOTS of 80s-90s Rangers around here- they look like toys compared to newer trucks. Ranging from super clean to beat up and getting used for actually hauling stuff every day.
Will

Speed_Racer

FoMoJo

I'd like to see it compared to the Escape, length, height.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 21, 2021, 01:30:48 PM
I'd like to see it compared to the Escape, length, height.

19" longer, 3" taller, same width.  I think the length difference is rear overhang, not wheelbase.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 21, 2021, 01:46:40 PM
19" longer, 3" taller, same width.  I think the length difference is rear overhang, not wheelbase.
Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up.

However, that sounds about right in respect to rear passenger room.  Same wheelbase would make sense.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 21, 2021, 01:50:38 PM
Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up.

However, that sounds about right in respect to rear passenger room.  Same wheelbase would make sense.

Found the wheelbase figures and it looks like they stretched it about 14", so most of it is between the axles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 19, 2021, 06:35:56 PM
It's based on the Escape platform.  It can't be that big.

And it's not a real truck, it just looks like one.
I live in pickup truck country.... for most owners the look is enough

I just can't get over how brilliant this thing is.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2021, 06:41:20 PM

If I were to buy another vehicle, it would be a tough choice between a Bronco Sport and a Maverick; the Maverick mainly because of price.  It seems to have all the functionality plus of an entry level SUV, but also a pickup bed. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2021, 06:41:20 PM

A stock pickup is not enough where I'm at. Gotta be lifted and have all sorts of accessories too. :rolleyes:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 21, 2021, 07:07:15 PM
A stock pickup is not enough where I'm at. Gotta be lifted and have all sorts of accessories too. :rolleyes:
Both ends lifted or just one.

Somebody should try something different, like maybe just lifting one side. :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 21, 2021, 07:30:32 PM

Somebody should try something different, like maybe just lifting one side. :huh:

NASCAR TRUCK GOES IN CIRCLES BETTER
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 20, 2021, 05:55:53 PM
I see LOTS of 80s-90s Rangers around here- they look like toys compared to newer trucks. Ranging from super clean to beat up and getting used for actually hauling stuff every day.
My completely uninformed guess is that the majority of pickup trucks don't get used for getting down & dirty & actually hauling stuff until they're on their third owner. Someone else's gleaming pride & joy, that never did more than mounting the curb outside Whole Foods, is now your dented work truck with bits of hardened concrete in the bed, per its designed utility.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 24, 2021, 08:04:00 AM
My completely uninformed guess is that the majority of pickup trucks don't get used for getting down & dirty & actually hauling stuff until they're on their third owner. Someone else's gleaming pride & joy, that never did more than mounting the curb outside Whole Foods, is now your dented work truck with bits of hardened concrete in the bed, per its designed utility.

I think a lot of new consumer trucks do likely get used for some lighter duty "truck stuff" that would be more difficult to do with a car.  Towing a boat/camper/toy-hauler or maybe carrying bicycles in the bed.  Picking up the annual Christmas tree or other, "clean" bulky items like bags of mulch or furniture.  Maybe hauling household stuff to the local landfill once in a while.  I don't think many are dumping piles of cinder blocks or bucketloads of gravel or earth into the bed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on June 24, 2021, 09:00:08 AM
I think a lot of new consumer trucks do likely get used for some lighter duty "truck stuff" that would be more difficult to do with a car.  Towing a boat/camper/toy-hauler or maybe carrying bicycles in the bed.  Picking up the annual Christmas tree or other, "clean" bulky items like bags of mulch or furniture.  Maybe hauling household stuff to the local landfill once in a while.  I don't think many are dumping piles of cinder blocks or bucketloads of gravel or earth into the bed.

Yup. Lots of trucks in Utah that are used for commuting, but also towing a boat, camper, or UTV on the weekend.

shp4man

Had one of these in High School.

Blazing fast 1200CC engine. It was rated at a half ton load capacity, so it rode really rough. It was a tough little bastard, though. 

FoMoJo

I had one of these...

'73 Ford Courier aka '73 Mazda B1800.

Nice little truck with a few problems.  First, the seat back was too close to the rear window and whenever I went over a bump, I banged the back of my head on the window.  Also, crappy metal from Japan at that time and it rusted out after a couple of years.  The positive was the engine.  It ran great but the exterior of the engine started to pit after a year or so.  It wasn't until the eighties that imports, as well as cars from the EU, were able to survive more than 2 or 3 years in the rust belt before holes started to appear in them.

Laconian

Did they not salt their roads in Japan?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Japanese cars still are rust buckets
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Trucks are so ungodly expensive on the used market.  It was bad before, it's especially bad now.  Imported kei trucks for <$5k is actually not a bad deal now if you've got the space to put it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on June 25, 2021, 08:35:39 AM
Japanese cars still are rust buckets

Depends on the brand.  Mazdas are terrible.  Mitsubishi and Nissan aren't great either.  Toyota is about average.  Honda actually ranks as one of the best for rust-resistance, along with the major German brands (VW, Merc, BMW).
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 25, 2021, 11:19:42 AM
Depends on the brand.  Mazdas are terrible.  Mitsubishi and Nissan aren't great either.  Toyota is about average.  Honda actually ranks as one of the best for rust-resistance, along with the major German brands (VW, Merc, BMW).
In the '80s, I don't remember the specific year, Toyota introduced a process where they would dip the vehicle frame in undercoating applying a charge to the metal in order to get the paint to adhere better.  Seemed to work.  Most automakers, no doubt, implemented the process, or something similar.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 25, 2021, 12:06:58 PM
In the '80s, I don't remember the specific year, Toyota introduced a process where they would dip the vehicle frame in undercoating applying a charge to the metal in order to get the paint to adhere better.  Seemed to work.  Most automakers, no doubt, implemented the process, or something similar.

Clearly it didn't work, or they've stopped doing that, since Toyota had a massive recall on Tacomas, Tundras, and related SUVs covering models from the mid-90s to 2008 or so due to catastrophic, corrosion-induced frame failure.

The shift to more environmentally-friendly finishing systems has resulted in poor corrosion performance for many cars starting in the mid 90s.  Chromates are terrible for the environment, but work great for inhibiting corrosion.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Submariner

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 21, 2021, 07:30:32 PM

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 21, 2021, 07:07:15 PM
Dont see why a Maverick can't be sovereign brother bedazzled any different than the rest
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

As an alternative for someone in a Fusion, or maybe even a Focus, who wants to haul bikes, and maybe shopping from the gardening centre it sounds like a good idea. And if it really gets 40 mpg.... why not?

They actually managed to make it interesting to look at, also the interior with that textured plastic, and the orange trim. 

AutobahnSHO

Funny how the "tiny" pickup is still bigger than what pickups used to be.
Will

CaminoRacer

I think a Maverick would round out my garage pretty well. Just the base hybrid. Good for road trips or weekend trips to the mountains.

Speed_Racer

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide