My wife's looking at replacing her 2016 Honda Pilot with a Lexus GX460.

Started by NomisR, August 07, 2021, 05:01:07 PM

NomisR

It's going to be a shorter, more narrow, less cargo space vehicle with worse mileage.  I can't think of any reason that it's a good idea but somehow, I think it's a good idea and it may hold it's value better than the newer one that's coming out in 2024.  Thoughts?

Submariner

I'm a big fan of the last gen LX and GX.  The current GX is, IMO, a pretty weak proposition: old interior, ancient BoF (BoF obviously has its merits but not in this type of truck for the purpose it is being sold for) chassis, old engine, kind of weird looks, not a lot of space for how large it is, cramped 3rd row due to the aforementioned BoF chassis, etc.

I'd personally go with a Merc GLE.  Or if you want a 3 row Lexus, an RX 350L.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

NomisR

Quote from: Submariner on August 07, 2021, 05:52:12 PM
I'm a big fan of the last gen LX and GX.  The current GX is, IMO, a pretty weak proposition: old interior, ancient BoF (BoF obviously has its merits but not in this type of truck for the purpose it is being sold for) chassis, old engine, kind of weird looks, not a lot of space for how large it is, cramped 3rd row due to the aforementioned BoF chassis, etc.

I'd personally go with a Merc GLE.  Or if you want a 3 row Lexus, an RX 350L.

The 2022 is going to have a refreshed center console and some minor upgrades to keep it up to date.  The mechanicals are still the same with the  V8 and the 6 speed which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Her main reason for wanting the GX is because it has a V8 and those would be hard to come by in the future so might as well get one while she can.. :huh:  If anything, at least it'll be reliable.

The GLE and Rx350L is out of the question.. she was considering the Rx350L and also the Toyota Highlander but we came to the conclusion that if we were going to get one of those, we might as well just keep the Pilot.  The main reason she really want to get rid of the Pilot is because of the auto start/stop feature of the Honda.. and when it the battery was dying.. it sometimes would shut off the vehicle in the middle of a stop light.. and you can't have it off full time, it has to be manually turned off every time. 

I'm trying to convince her to get the Defender, but she went with the GX because she wanted a Lexus but doesn't want to wait for the new TX or GX. :huh:

MrH

You can permanently disable the auto start stop.  It's not that hard.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on August 08, 2021, 12:04:32 AM
The 2022 is going to have a refreshed center console and some minor upgrades to keep it up to date.  The mechanicals are still the same with the  V8 and the 6 speed which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Her main reason for wanting the GX is because it has a V8 and those would be hard to come by in the future so might as well get one while she can.. :huh:  If anything, at least it'll be reliable.

The GLE and Rx350L is out of the question.. she was considering the Rx350L and also the Toyota Highlander but we came to the conclusion that if we were going to get one of those, we might as well just keep the Pilot.  The main reason she really want to get rid of the Pilot is because of the auto start/stop feature of the Honda.. and when it the battery was dying.. it sometimes would shut off the vehicle in the middle of a stop light.. and you can't have it off full time, it has to be manually turned off every time. 

I'm trying to convince her to get the Defender, but she went with the GX because she wanted a Lexus but doesn't want to wait for the new TX or GX. :huh:

I appreciate the "I want a V8 sentiment" but even the refreshed GX is already old looking (and just old).

The GX probably doesn't have much more useable interior room owing to its BoF chassis. 

I'd really reconsider.

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 09, 2021, 08:31:42 AM
You can permanently disable the auto start stop.  It's not that hard.

It's not but i don't want to permanently disable it.  And I'm don't want to open the center console to do that either, not really worth the time at this point.

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2021, 10:10:39 AM
I appreciate the "I want a V8 sentiment" but even the refreshed GX is already old looking (and just old).

The GX probably doesn't have much more useable interior room owing to its BoF chassis. 

I'd really reconsider.

It really doesn't.  The fact that it's roughly the same size as the Honda Pilot but has no usable cargo space when the 3rd row is up sorta says it all.  I went to test drive one this weekend.. it actually feels very nice.. but looking at the mpg showing 11.9mpg after the drive is definitely something to think about. 

Like I said, there's really no good reason to get it, and if anything, it's going to be a temporary "new" car until what she wants comes out.  I guess if anything, maybe wait for the new Land Cruiser to come out and see... having an LX wouldn't be a bad choice..

MrH

It's not worth your time to spend 15 minutes fixing something, but it is worth getting an entirely new vehicle? :wtf:

If you want a new car, just say you want a new car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2021, 10:50:38 AM
It's not but i don't want to permanently disable it.  And I'm don't want to open the center console to do that either, not really worth the time at this point.

It really doesn't.  The fact that it's roughly the same size as the Honda Pilot but has no usable cargo space when the 3rd row is up sorta says it all.  I went to test drive one this weekend.. it actually feels very nice.. but looking at the mpg showing 11.9mpg after the drive is definitely something to think about. 

Like I said, there's really no good reason to get it, and if anything, it's going to be a temporary "new" car until what she wants comes out.  I guess if anything, maybe wait for the new Land Cruiser to come out and see... having an LX wouldn't be a bad choice..

I'd just take the 20 minutes to disable the auto on/off feature at this point (it's maddening that it can't be disabled permanently with a simple button but w/e).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2021, 11:52:11 AM
I'd just take the 20 minutes to disable the auto on/off feature at this point (it's maddening that it can't be disabled permanently with a simple button but w/e).

What I'd really want is to reverse the default operation; have start/stop normally disabled unless I want to activate it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 09, 2021, 11:22:30 AM
It's not worth your time to spend 15 minutes fixing something, but it is worth getting an entirely new vehicle? :wtf:

If you want a new car, just say you want a new car.

Well, it's not me, she just wants a new vehicle.  I'd just disable it. 

I'm ok with her choice, just wondering what the thoughts are on that car. 
Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2021, 11:52:11 AM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 09, 2021, 12:39:20 PM
What I'd really want is to reverse the default operation; have start/stop normally disabled unless I want to activate it.

Exactly :hesaid:  I wouldn't mind keeping the functionality, if nothing else, just for resale, but I want to be able to reverse it. 

veeman

If you/your wife rarely use the third row for passengers and when you do use it, it's for small young kids, the decreased cargo space of the Lexus GX compared with the Pilot shouldn't be too much of an issue.  The few times I've used all three rows of our Infiniti QX56 with lots of luggage, I put a luggage rack on the rear hitch and we all rode comfortably.  You can get a good luggage rack that goes on the rear hitch for about $200-$300 on Amazon. 

If you somewhat frequently use the third row for bigger kids or adults, then I'd look elsewhere. Otherwise it's fine I think.  A great winter car for sure.

Using fueleconomy.gov the average increased gas cost would be $1500/year using their preset parameters of a new GX vs a new Pilot.  That's a lot though.  Psychologically it might also be irritating to have to put in premium gas over regular (GX requires premium).

MrH

I actually looked into making a permanent kill switch for the Outback because I hated stop/start so much.  It resets every time you start the car, and it used to be buried like 3 menus deep.

I hit about 10 dead ends and gave up, but pushed this guy to work on the Outback, and he eventually came through.  I got mine for $80.  Best money ever spent.  Doesn't look like he's done any for Honda sadly.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/subaru/products/2020-subaru-outback-autostop-eliminator
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

NomisR

Quote from: veeman on August 09, 2021, 01:45:17 PM
If you/your wife rarely use the third row for passengers and when you do use it, it's for small young kids, the decreased cargo space of the Lexus GX compared with the Pilot shouldn't be too much of an issue.  The few times I've used all three rows of our Infiniti QX56 with lots of luggage, I put a luggage rack on the rear hitch and we all rode comfortably.  You can get a good luggage rack that goes on the rear hitch for about $200-$300 on Amazon. 

If you somewhat frequently use the third row for bigger kids or adults, then I'd look elsewhere. Otherwise it's fine I think.  A great winter car for sure.

Using fueleconomy.gov the average increased gas cost would be $1500/year using their preset parameters of a new GX vs a new Pilot.  That's a lot though.  Psychologically it might also be irritating to have to put in premium gas over regular (GX requires premium).

Yeah all of that went into the calculation, she wanted a 3rd row previously because her parents may be here but with the virus not going away anytime soon, the chances of the 3rd row being used is a lot lower.. currently only being used at the moment when we go out to eat with my parents and decide to take one car.  Rear hitch is definitely the plan.

The gas cost is definitely going to be a killer especially when in some places of California, i've seen close to $6 for premium.  But she's saying that if we go anywhere, we'll be taking my car anyways.. :huh:

Personally, I would prefer her to keep the Pilot over getting another car, I've talked her out of getting a Highlander and a Sienna already.. i'm still trying to steer her to get a Defender with a front row jump seat.. it'll be a more fun car for me :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 09, 2021, 02:13:49 PM
I actually looked into making a permanent kill switch for the Outback because I hated stop/start so much.  It resets every time you start the car, and it used to be buried like 3 menus deep.

I hit about 10 dead ends and gave up, but pushed this guy to work on the Outback, and he eventually came through.  I got mine for $80.  Best money ever spent.  Doesn't look like he's done any for Honda sadly.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/subaru/products/2020-subaru-outback-autostop-eliminator

Something like this would be perfect!  I'll contact them about it.

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2021, 02:50:17 PM
The gas cost is definitely going to be a killer especially when in some places of California, i've seen close to $6 for premium.

How the fuck do people put up with that?

NomisR

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2021, 03:54:05 PM

It's California.. "It's the price you pay for the perfect weather.."

veeman

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2021, 02:50:17 PM

The gas cost is definitely going to be a killer especially when in some places of California, i've seen close to $6 for premium.  But she's saying that if we go anywhere, we'll be taking my car anyways.. :huh:

That alone (close to $6 premium) would make me steer clear of any SUV requiring premium gas unless driven for < 10,000 miles year.  That's Europe level pricing (well for Europe regular grade petrol).  Maybe you can convince her to just test drive a Palisade/Telluride.  Doesn't have the badge but everything else about them is class leading (including interior). 

Anyways happy wife is happy life...

NomisR

Quote from: veeman on August 09, 2021, 04:58:49 PM
That alone (close to $6 premium) would make me steer clear of any SUV requiring premium gas unless driven for < 10,000 miles year.  That's Europe level pricing (well for Europe regular grade petrol).  Maybe you can convince her to just test drive a Palisade/Telluride.  Doesn't have the badge but everything else about them is class leading (including interior). 

Anyways happy wife is happy life...

She doesn't want a Hyundai/Kia.. going that direction would be the same as keeping the Pilot since they don't drive any better or offer anything more..  Then again, realistically for her use, neither does the GX, but she's looking at places to go off road now that she has her mind set on the GX :lol:

Best solution is probably to wait for the new whatever 3rd row SUV that Lexus have out and keep driving the Pilot.  It's still a perfectly good car with no issues other than the auto start stop.  I'll have to convince her though..  I mean i'm good with the GX and her wanting to go offroading though.. :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2021, 04:40:04 PM
It's California.. "It's the price you pay for the perfect weather.."

So many Californians don't know the value of a dollar anymore. Which is why they piss off people in other states when they move and pay way too much for a house and inflate the market
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

I visited the Smoky Mountains National Park for a photography workshop. One of the guys there ferried me around in his GX. He loved it. I remember it for the outstanding front seats... just supremely comfortable.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Lebowski

NomisR

Quote from: Lebowski on August 13, 2021, 10:14:44 AM
Since it's for your wife anyway, just get the highlander.

She didn't want the Highlander, the difference between the Highlander and the Pilot was so small, it made no difference in changing it. 

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

GoCougs

Who is paying for this thing?

Auto start/stop is indeed a travesty. I'm simply now in the habit of turning it off upon startup (luckily, a physical one-touch button). Aftermarket tuners can disable it, but they do so with trickery by convincing the ECU that the AC is on max, which sounds a bit sketch. I have other items I do at startup as part of the economization of person emotion - switch the HVAC to recirc, enable minimal digital dash mode, turn off the parking brake. It's rather sad how bad automakers still screw up ergonomics.

MrH

Yeah, auto start/stop is awwwful.  Worse in some cars more than others.  Outback is especially bad.  Boxer engines really kind of shake the car back and forth on start up.

Some of the luxury makes that have 48 volt hybrid systems are really smooth with it.  It creates a whole other host of issues constantly starting the engine though.  I can't believe it's actually on nearly every car now.  I left it on for a tank or two of the outback to see how much gas I would save.  It was nearly nothing.  I think it extrapolated to less than a gallon a year.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

It's all about cheating the federal "estimated consumption" tests though!
Will

Lebowski

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2021, 03:54:05 PM

You spend less money elsewhere which you then invest in gasoline. That's what we do here. And now due to the idiotic energy politics here our heating and electricity costs are out of control. Heating costs are projected to rise by several hundred Euros! Total insanity here.

By the way, fuel prices here have approached and even exceeded 2 Euros PER LITER at Autobahn filling stations. I always make sure to fuel up in the city at times when fuel prices experience a price drop.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie