I bought a 4Runner

Started by Soup DeVille, October 23, 2021, 04:04:22 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Those things sound good with the exhaust opened up. Straight pipe?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Have you taken it off of any sweet jumps?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Plan on picking up any hitchhikers?  :muffin:

SVT_Power

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 25, 2021, 09:38:41 AM

No shins, but its pissing down rain and I aint gettin fancy.

Someone look on eBay to see if this picture is from there, a la Intrepid
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT_Power on October 28, 2021, 05:15:49 PM

Oh, my trustiness quotient must be way lower than I thought.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on October 28, 2021, 05:15:49 PM

:lol:

AutobahnSHO

Will

Soup DeVille

So, 1000 miles into it;

I'm not really seeng this "lack of refinement" that's been mentioned. The suspension is well sorted; not harsh on normal roads and very forgiving on heavy washboarded dirt roads. Steering feedback is middle-of-the-road, but honestly better than I expected from a vehicle like this. The big thing eveybody mentions about these is that its perhaps the last 5-speed automatic being sold. I'm sure this is a part of why its mileage numbers are on the low side (plus the lack of stop/start which is actually a godsend), but as far as driving and throttle response goes, there is no reason to complain. The upside is that when choosing gears manually, things make much more sense, and you don't have to tip through 4 gears to feel a difference.

The interior is perfectly comfortable; the seats are some of the best I've sat in. No, it not leather; its some sort of leather textured plastic feeling synthetic with a silly name, but sturdy and breathable. The interior surfaces are likewise non-luxurious, but well put together. If refinement means leather covered instrument panels and fake wood, I'm not missing much. The only thing I miss is automatic climate control.

The first low-level off road experience went just fine- some deeply rutted muddy two-track on the way to a campsite. It probably could have been done, with some effort, in 2WD; but I used the opportunity to play with the multi-terrain system and take the hard line when I didn't need to; all worked well without incident.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

I loved the polyurethane seat material that I had in my 4Runner.  The Japanese polyurethane stuff is better than a lot of automotive grade leather IMO.  Much more durable, but also softer.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

I love how they call fake leather in some of the luxury nameplates -> vegan leather.  You got vegan leather in your 4Runner man.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on November 01, 2021, 11:49:28 AM
I love how they call fake leather in some of the luxury nameplates -> vegan leather.  You got vegan leather in your 4Runner man.

Not after I smear them with bear grease they aren't.

I looked it up; its called SofTex.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 31, 2021, 07:44:25 PM
So, 1000 miles into it;

I'm not really seeng this "lack of refinement" that's been mentioned. The suspension is well sorted; not harsh on normal roads and very forgiving on heavy washboarded dirt roads. Steering feedback is middle-of-the-road, but honestly better than I expected from a vehicle like this. The big thing eveybody mentions about these is that its perhaps the last 5-speed automatic being sold. I'm sure this is a part of why its mileage numbers are on the low side (plus the lack of stop/start which is actually a godsend), but as far as driving and throttle response goes, there is no reason to complain. The upside is that when choosing gears manually, things make much more sense, and you don't have to tip through 4 gears to feel a difference.

The interior is perfectly comfortable; the seats are some of the best I've sat in. No, it not leather; its some sort of leather textured plastic feeling synthetic with a silly name, but sturdy and breathable. The interior surfaces are likewise non-luxurious, but well put together. If refinement means leather covered instrument panels and fake wood, I'm not missing much. The only thing I miss is automatic climate control.

The first low-level off road experience went just fine- some deeply rutted muddy two-track on the way to a campsite. It probably could have been done, with some effort, in 2WD; but I used the opportunity to play with the multi-terrain system and take the hard line when I didn't need to; all worked well without incident.

I think the GX460 and the 4Runner is basically the same thing, the biggest difference is probably the V8 instead of the V6  engine.  The GX definitely needs a big more clearance due to the unneeded "looks" items though..

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2021, 02:02:41 PM
Not after I smear them with bear grease they aren't.

I looked it up; its called SofTex.

99% sure it's made by Kyowa.  Their polyurethanes are next level compared to everyone else.  I remember when I first got my hands on it back in like 2010 when I worked in interiors, I knew it was going to explode.  Way better than anything the Germans were using, and light years ahead of any TPO or PVC based material.  They do some cool processes with different backings on it too.  It was really, really pricey for being a synthetic, but still much cheaper than real leather.  And none of the patterning around defect kind of issues you get with real leather.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2021, 07:30:11 AM
99% sure it's made by Kyowa.  Their polyurethanes are next level compared to everyone else.  I remember when I first got my hands on it back in like 2010 when I worked in interiors, I knew it was going to explode.  Way better than anything the Germans were using, and light years ahead of any TPO or PVC based material.  They do some cool processes with different backings on it too.  It was really, really pricey for being a synthetic, but still much cheaper than real leather.  And none of the patterning around defect kind of issues you get with real leather.

But does it smell like leather? 

Soup DeVille

Major problem. Probably a deal breaker.

The cupholder in the center console is an odd size- doesn't fit any of my coffee cups perfectly. There's a removable rubber liner for for smaller cups, so it really has two sizes.

The small size is slightly too small for everything and the big size is too big. Then; I found a coffee cup that fits perfectly! Great success! Fits perfectly in the cupholder with the rubber liner in.

Except now, I take the cup out and the liner comes with it! My disappointment is immeasurable. 

veeman

all cupholders in the northeast U.S. should be sized with reference to Dunkin beverage cups. Small, medium, and large designated spots.  My wife always gets a medium coffee from Dunkin when all she drinks is a small amount because the small cup doesn't fit right.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 03, 2021, 09:52:25 AM

The cupholder in the center console is an odd size- doesn't fit any of my coffee cups perfectly. There's a removable rubber liner for for smaller cups, so it really has two sizes.

The small size is slightly too small for everything and the big size is too big. Then; I found a coffee cup that fits perfectly! Great success! Fits perfectly in the cupholder with the rubber liner in.

Except now, I take the cup out and the liner comes with it! My disappointment is immeasurable. 

You have a 3D printer. Take some measurements, model some cylinders, and get printing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

My XJ has two different sized cupholders in the center console, and one has a handle cut out. It fits everything.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on November 03, 2021, 12:22:55 PM
You have a 3D printer. Take some measurements, model some cylinders, and get printing.

I was actually sort of noodling with this idea just now

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 03, 2021, 02:00:29 PM
My XJ has two different sized cupholders in the center console, and one has a handle cut out. It fits everything.

The Jeep superiority shines through!

AutobahnSHO

Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 03, 2021, 09:52:07 PM
Glue the insert....

That was my first thought- but it might be best to leave it removable for cleaning. I'm making one with a slightly larger ID on the printer; it'll have to be a prototype because all I have is blue PLA. If it works well, I'll get some in smoke grey.

Eye of the Tiger

Coat the bottom of your cup in a silicone based lubricant.

MrH

I had this same problem.  I carried the rubber liner into the house and sat my coffee mug next to the sink with the liner stuck on all the time.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Wow sounds like 4Runners are one of the worst vehicles for sale. Unacceptable! :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

If this complaint was on a Tesla group, people would be up in arms calling Soup a heathen and how dare he challenge Elon Musk's genius in designing the cup holder to perfection, and it's the fault of the cup, not the cup holder that failed to conform to the cup holder's shape..

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on November 04, 2021, 12:48:12 PM
If this complaint was on a Tesla group, people would be up in arms calling Soup a heathen and how dare he challenge Elon Musk's genius in designing the cup holder to perfection, and it's the fault of the cup, not the cup holder that failed to conform to the cup holder's shape..

Nobody is leveraged out the ass on Toyota calls and is dependent on the stock price of Toyota going up for their financial well being :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on November 04, 2021, 01:35:21 PM
Nobody is leveraged out the ass on Toyota calls and is dependent on the stock price of Toyota going up for their financial well being :lol:

:lol: 

Lebowski

I feel like those rubber inserts get lost and found again over the years. I have one with the insert in, and one out, and find that fits most cups fine. The rubber insert will fit most store bought coffees, no insert fits the insulated mug I use the most.

I'm hoping that the upcoming 6th gen will have a significantly improved interior. I've been ready to replace my 2010 for like 5 years.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on November 05, 2021, 08:46:15 AM
I feel like those rubber inserts get lost and found again over the years. I have one with the insert in, and one out, and find that fits most cups fine. The rubber insert will fit most store bought coffees, no insert fits the insulated mug I use the most.

I'm hoping that the upcoming 6th gen will have a significantly improved interior. I've been ready to replace my 2010 for like 5 years.

I know one has been in the works for awhile.  Any idea if it's on the same platform at the Land Cruiser and new Tundra?  If it's just a shrunk down Tundra platform, with the same twin turbo V6 + hybrid and 10-speed auto, that'll be great.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited