Why 70's cars had vents in the rear

Started by Laconian, March 30, 2022, 10:50:55 PM

Laconian

...so you could smoke, of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WteGgqZoVfg

Unfortunately GM's awesome design actually sucked exhaust back into the cabin!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

In concept ahead of its time but not well tested. Something I didn't know is that the b-pillar/door jamb vent is what replaced it.

As I posted elsewhere, this is literally my favorite YouTube channel at present, and has been for some time.

I've given him some CL leads on local low mileage '70s classics even. Very normal and cool dude. His channel has sorta blown up. Pretty cool.

cawimmer430

I wish the 1974 Dodge Monaco or 1976 Plymouth Volare had these.  :wub:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2022, 05:52:16 AM
Smoking was so cool in the 70s.
Back in the '50s if you didn't smoke by the time you were 14 you were considered odd.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2022, 05:52:16 AM
Smoking was so cool in the 70s.

I just don't understand why the height of smoking coincided with the height of super shag carpets and crushed velour upholstery. Its like they were trying to trap as many smells as they possibly could.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 31, 2022, 05:17:52 PM
Back in the '50s if you didn't smoke by the time you were 14 you were considered odd.

I liked Camels.
More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 31, 2022, 05:21:32 PM
I just don't understand why the height of smoking coincided with the height of super shag carpets and crushed velour upholstery. Its like they were trying to trap as many smells as they possibly could.

Every time I see that stuff, I expect it to smell like smoke and ass sweat.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2022, 06:02:14 PM
Every time I see that stuff, I expect it to smell like smoke and ass sweat.

Because it does; you would think smokers would want hard, easy to clean surfaces.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2022, 06:01:04 PM
I liked Camels.
More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette.
Players Navy Cut was my brand.  They were unfiltered so it was a smooth easy draw.  Just had to spit out some tobacco strands, though they tasted pretty good if you chewed them.  None of that gucky brown sticky stuff you see on filters either.  It went straight into your lungs along with the smoke.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 31, 2022, 06:04:01 PM
Because it does; you would think smokers would want hard, easy to clean surfaces.

Porcelain interior!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on March 31, 2022, 12:22:36 AM
In concept ahead of its time but not well tested. Something I didn't know is that the b-pillar/door jamb vent is what replaced it.

As I posted elsewhere, this is literally my favorite YouTube channel at present, and has been for some time.

I've given him some CL leads on local low mileage '70s classics even. Very normal and cool dude. His channel has sorta blown up. Pretty cool.

He's impressive; fluency on camera & complete command of the subject. He'd be a great guest on Jay Leno's channel.
This one's a gem:

https://youtu.be/TYFZjF7oeGY
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

Jay Leno would just talk over him the whole time.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 01, 2022, 06:26:56 AM
He's impressive; fluency on camera & complete command of the subject. He'd be a great guest on Jay Leno's channel.
This one's a gem:

https://youtu.be/TYFZjF7oeGY

He's buying a car every few weeks. I've upped my estimate to 40-50 cars. Amazing.

I sent him a lead on a local and near-perfect '78 Mercury Grand Marquis sedan with 460, red, and only ~30k original miles. Seller was asking $18k, and he said that was way too high, so he must be getting screaming deals on these cars.

Morris Minor

It's plausible that he could build traction and popularize this niche, so increasing values. With his own collection that would be nice. haha.

You see any number of over-restored vintage muscle cars at shows etc. I find these more compelling.

The first car I ever drove in the US was a 1972 Mercury Grand Marquis. I was best man at a wedding in Pennsylvania & it belonged to the father of the bride. I couldn't believe he gave me the keys to go & run some errands... think he just wanted me to experience it. I remember looking under the hood - the a/c compressor alone looked bigger than the engine in my Vauxhall Chevette back home.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 01, 2022, 03:15:38 PM
It's plausible that he could build traction and popularize this niche, so increasing values. With his own collection that would be nice. haha.

You see any number of over-restored vintage muscle cars at shows etc. I find these more compelling.

The first car I ever drove in the US was a 1972 Mercury Grand Marquis. I was best man at a wedding in Pennsylvania & it belonged to the father of the bride. I couldn't believe he gave me the keys to go & run some errands... think he just wanted me to experience it. I remember looking under the hood - the a/c compressor alone looked bigger than the engine in my Vauxhall Chevette back home.

I'm trying to decrease the values of Jeep XJs by driving around with no muffler.