If True, This $142 Million Mercedes 300SLR Is The Most Expensive Car Ever Sold

Started by cawimmer430, May 14, 2022, 12:58:59 PM

cawimmer430

DAMN!  :mask:

If True, This $142 Million Mercedes Silver Arrow 300 SLR Is The Most Expensive Car Ever Sold

Rumor has it that Mercedes-Benz just sold one of its most prized vehicles to the tune of $142 million. If true, the Silver Arrow 300 SLR "Uhlenhaut Coupe" would be valued at nearly three times the next most expensive car ever confirmed to have traded hands.

While Mercedes-Benz has yet to confirm or deny any such sale, the folks over at Hagerty seem convinced that this sale did in fact happen after contacting multiple sources. They also seem to have someone on the inside too because they detail that around 10 or fewer individuals were invited to attend a private event at the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart on May 6, 2022.

Each of those individuals met the predetermined criteria that Mercedes required of the person they would ultimately sell the 300SLR to. As of this writing, the Mercedes-Benz Museum's website does indeed say that it's closed from May 6 to May 15 for 'an event'.

Again, if confirmed, this is by far the most valuable automobile ever to trade hands. The next most expensive on record was a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO that sold for $48,405,000 in 2018. That same year a rumor came out that another 250 GTO was purchased in a private sale for $70 million but that has yet to be confirmed.

If this is indeed the Silver Arrow race car that Hagerty thinks it is, it's undoubtedly one of the most storied cars in history. All indications point to this car being one of just two hardtop coupes ever created by Mercedes-Benz. One other reason that it's worth so much is that they just don't trade hands.

The specific car in question was brought back to running order around 2010 and even ran up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed by Sir Jackie Stewart and Mika Hakkinen. It was one of the most potent race cars of its day and laid the groundwork for many of the cars we know and love today.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/05/reports-suggest-that-this-mercedes-silver-arrow-race-car-just-sold-for-142-million/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

It's like paintings.  Most expensive painting ever sold was $450 million for one by Leonardo da Vinci, sold by private auction in 2016.  Stocks for the billionaires club.

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on May 16, 2022, 04:10:33 AM
It's like paintings.  Most expensive painting ever sold was $450 million for one by Leonardo da Vinci, sold by private auction in 2016.  Stocks for the billionaires club.

At least a car is a usable item, unlike a painting.  Though I suspect at this level of rarity/price for a car, it will basically serve the same purpose as a painting. Something pretty to look at and talk about. Maybe fire it up a few times a year.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2022, 09:55:24 AM
At least a car is a usable item, unlike a painting.  Though I suspect at this level of rarity/price for a car, it will basically serve the same purpose as a painting. Something pretty to look at and talk about. Maybe fire it up a few times a year.

I appreciate the 1 guy I know who actually races his original Cobra.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV