We are gifting you a classic car! Which one would you like?

Started by shp4man, February 01, 2019, 10:06:39 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Northlands on February 14, 2019, 07:40:38 PM
That's the idea. But with this one ( 396 SS ) I can leave the parking lot with it on two wheels and front bumper pointing at the sky...  :P

You'll need to upgrade those rear tires. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Northlands

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 14, 2019, 07:49:22 PM
You'll need to upgrade those rear tires. :lol:

Definitely. Little taller and about a foot and a half wider.  :rockon:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Northlands

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 14, 2019, 08:00:57 PM
Colour coordinated rims. Sweet! :ohyeah:

There's actually a couple here in the city. One of them kept original rims. Second guy has since changed a number of things. Resto-moddy, but don't mind the extra 150 hp it's pushing out ( he claims ). It sounds monstrous.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 09, 2019, 08:10:27 PM
All these cars put today's cars to shame in terms of style, beauty, and variability.
I am sure our resident corporatists would disagree, but I think the increased appetite for returns on capital have sucked much of the soul out of the auto industry.

Cars are objectively as good as they've ever been, but every company seems to be its shareholder's hoe. Ferrari is making money hand over fist and is still committing to making a crossover. Yea that Ferrari. The business side is the most exciting aspect of the car business, which IMO is not right.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 20, 2019, 04:58:30 AM
I am sure our resident corporatists would disagree, but I think the increased appetite for returns on capital have sucked much of the soul out of the auto industry.

Cars are objectively as good as they've ever been, but every company seems to be its shareholder's hoe. Ferrari is making money hand over fist and is still committing to making a crossover. Yea that Ferrari. The business side is the most exciting aspect of the car business, which IMO is not right.
Exactly what almost killed the domestic auto manufacturers in the 90s.  Bottom line and bean counters.

Win on Sunday and sell on Monday was a better incentive for building better cars.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Domestic manufacturers making shitty cars almost killed domestic auto manufacturers in the 90s.

It's entirely possible to both make good business decisions and make quality vehicles at the same time.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 20, 2019, 09:28:35 AM
Domestic manufacturers making shitty cars almost killed domestic auto manufacturers in the 90s.

It's entirely possible to both make good business decisions and make quality vehicles at the same time.
Not when you nickel and dime your suppliers.  You get what you pay for.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 20, 2019, 09:31:51 AM
Not when you nickel and dime your suppliers.  You get what you pay for.

Right, I'm just pointing out that it wasn't maximizing shareholder profits that screwed them over - it was just bad, short-term decision making.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 20, 2019, 09:42:45 AM
Right, I'm just pointing out that it wasn't maximizing shareholder profits that screwed them over - it was just bad, short-term decision making.
I hold that it was largely for the purpose of maximizing the shareholder profits.  Why else would the bottom line be so important.  Of course it was bad decision-making in the longer term and they paid for it; having to mortgage absolutely everything, including the company logo for Ford, and having to declare bankruptcy for GM and whatever Chrysler was at the time.

As for the decline of the domestic product, it's significant that the foreign enterprises of the companies did not really suffer the same product decline; the German Fords Mondeo, Focus, etc. excepting whatever the UK was producing, were still quality products.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 20, 2019, 09:40:34 AM
I might have to go for an underdog pick here:

It was/is a beauty.  You only live twice, after all.

Soup DeVille

Does anyone know what that panel behind the driver's door is for? Its been bugging me for years.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2019, 10:16:03 AM
Does anyone know what that panel behind the driver's door is for? Its been bugging me for years.
Battering ram?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2019, 10:16:03 AM

Had to look it up, but according to this, it provides access to the battery and air filter.

https://www.richmond.com/richmond-drives/classic-cars/twists-and-turns-the-toyota-gt/article_a5ee296a-85d6-11e8-8dc5-9bd23a000ce2.html

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 20, 2019, 01:27:28 PM
Had to look it up, but according to this, it provides access to the battery and air filter.

https://www.richmond.com/richmond-drives/classic-cars/twists-and-turns-the-toyota-gt/article_a5ee296a-85d6-11e8-8dc5-9bd23a000ce2.html

Ok, cool.

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 20, 2019, 10:18:14 AM
Battering ram?

But not as cool as I'd hoped...

(the several hatches on 959s are similarly mundane, and slightly disappointing).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator