Author Topic: Stories behind the photos  (Read 6086 times)

Offline JWC

Re: Stories behind the photos
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »
I don't think these images have appeared here.  If they have, my apologies.  I know they appear on another website site, but I don't think they have been posted here.  These are part of a documentary shot for the owner of the business.  He is 70 years old, just married this past July, and has decided to retire.  The business is now for sale.  Some of the photos have also been used in advertising the business in a real estate handout. This building was once the local Dodge dealership.

This hardware store is the last remaining type of its kind in the county.  If it closes, we'll only have big box hardware stores.  Bob has had the business for 40+ years.  There is a snack rack and a soda machine because in the mornings, men will show up and sit around the side door, talking politics and weather.  Until a few months ago, you could chip in two bucks and enjoy breakfast on Wednesday mornings.  One afternoon a month, one of the "regulars" would cook a fish stew.  All of the food was prepared and cooked right at the business by customers.  

This hardware store sells seeds by weight, not by the packet.  Need a box of nails?  You won't find boxes of nails at this store, they are sold by weight also...in brown paper bags.

It is a unique store and a town treasure.  It will be missed.

McCurry's Hardware

Bob is the owner, Leroy is one of his employees.  In the first photo, Leroy rings up a sale.  In the second, Bob and Leroy discuss options to solve a customer's problem.  

Photos 1-3, and 5 are taken with a Mamiya 645AF and Tri-X.  All others are Canon digital with custom B&W conversion.

I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline J86

• growin' older but not up
  • Mazda6... for sale
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »
stores like that are so cool.

Offline JWC

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »
These stores have an aroma...a combination of iron, wood, manufactured fertilizer, and plants.  Man-made and natural products all combined under one roof.  It is a wonderful aroma.  For someone like me, it reminds me a much simpler time.
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline Laconian

• Administrator
  • brumm née horr
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »
I used to work at a store very much like that. I bucked hay for them too, that's probably what fucked up my back. The pictures bring back memories, I can't say they were good ones though. :lol:
MX-5 RF / Subie Outback

Mazda > Ferrari

Offline JWC

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »
Veterans Day, 2012

I found out about the ceremony about two hours before it started.  I grabbed my new (to me) Mamiya 645AF, a back with Acros 100, and two lenses.  I did a few shots and the introductions began.  Senator Burr and Senator Hagan's representatives were first, each reading a one page letter from their boss.  Burr's speech was typical political-speak.  Thanking the veterans for their sacrifices and the need to remember the fallen.  Hagan's letter thanked the veterans and told the gathering how much the Democrats have done for veterans and how Democrats will continue to work for veterans.  I noticed during these remarks there was some uneasy chuckling along the side lines.  The next speaker was Congressman Walter Jones.  He thanked the veterans.  I got one shot off of Congressman Jones with the water tower in the background, then I had to maneuver around some spectators who chose this moment to stand in front of me and my camera.  While walking to another spot, Jones did something I did not expect.   To much applause, he stated we needed to leave Afghanistan immediately, stop promising what we will do for our veterans, and use the money we're spending on the war to help those veterans and U.S. citizens.   I found myself applauding instead of photographing the happenings.

Congressman Jones

A couple listen to the Congressman as he makes the case to leave Afghanistan

Offline JWC

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:37 am »
http://www.jwcurryphotography.com/#/mccurrys-hardware/

http://www.jwcurryphotography.com/blog/

I still don't know what I want for a website, but this is pretty darn close.