Author Topic: Photoshop Thread  (Read 2542 times)

Offline MrH

Photoshop Thread
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »
I know a lot of us play in photoshop (some of you guys do it professionally), so I figured I'd start a thread about it.

What are you working on these days?  Hopefully I can pick up some tips and get some questions answered too.  I'll post here soon on what I've done lately, and what I'm working on in the future.
2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT (terrrrrboe)
2001 Honda S2000

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t

Offline Laconian

• Administrator
  • brumm née horr
Re: Photoshop Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »
I used to use it a lot back in HS, when I was building games for my own amusement. I think I stopped using it around PS6, when I decided that Gimp was good enough and that the threat of viral infection from pirated copies was too great.

Gimp is still good enough IMO. Photoshop users think it's a POS, but it's mostly because the workflows are just different. The two applications are very similar in capability for 85% of tasks, but Gimp just does it in a way that's a lot less polished. But hey, free.

I have a Wacom tablet now that I am using with Corel Painter. That's a cool program but Jebus it is a resource haaaawwwwg.
MX-5 RF / Subie Outback

Mazda > Ferrari

Offline Rupert

• GEOLOGIST
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 05:29:02 pm »
I've been using Photoshop since I was, like, ten, so GIMP just makes me angry. :P
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Offline MrH

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:34:58 pm »
Yeah, I was still using Photoshop 6.0 until a few months ago. Now I'm on CS6. Much better. Never had much experience with gimp.

I've got a big 12" X 9" tablet from monoprice now. Makes it all much easier.

Here's my current projects:

-designed a wedding party favor a few months ago.
-today I did a bit of touch up work for a picture we're submitting to our alumni magazine.
-I'm working on designing new jerseys for my ultimate Frisbee team for this year. The new sublimation process for jerseys allows for really cool designs. It's going to be an entirely argyle with number and name on the back. Team name and a coat of arms s on the front. Some design work on the sleeves too.
2001 Honda S2000

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t

Offline Rupert

• GEOLOGIST
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:40:36 am »
Sublimation? So, like, the ink is frozen and then it turns straight to steam? And that allows for more intricate designs to be printed?

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:04:19 am »
I'm "still" using Photoshop CS4 (not upgraded) and I don't plan on upgrading to CS6+ for a long time. I have a lot of filter software that is not yet compatible with CS6 (or even CS5).

My latest "boredom project". Photographed the car at the local Benz dealership in Mühldorf with light and now I am applying the finishing touches to the whole image. The mountains were created using brushes in Photoshop, the futuristic wall behind the car was photographed at BMW Welt.

ORIGINAL

WIMMER EDITING

Next shoot is of a black Mercedes CL63 AMG belonging to my elderly grandma neighbor!  :lol:

This is her car. Just waiting for better weather and her summer tires/rims.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:17 pm »
No way you drew those mountains...

Offline CALL_911

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »
In the SLK, you can still see the old background through the driver's side window. Unless that SLK is some sort of physical anomaly, I'd probably fix that.

Offline CALL_911

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »
Oh, it's unfinished.

Offline Laconian

• Administrator
  • brumm née horr
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:52 pm »
Sublimation? So, like, the ink is frozen and then it turns straight to steam? And that allows for more intricate designs to be printed?

Not frozen, but it changes state from a solid to a gas. Better than inkjet.
MX-5 RF / Subie Outback

Mazda > Ferrari

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:29:50 am »
No way you drew those mountains...

I downloaded a bunch of mountain brushes for Photoshop and created these mountains with them. I filled them with texture from photos I shot of local earth mounds, rocky surfaces etc. and then shaped the mountains using paths, clone tool etc. to give them character and individuality. The whole process took about an hour and half. I have these mountains saved as a PSD file on my computer and you can find them in a bunch of photos of mine.  :ohyeah:

The clouds in the sky were also created using cloud brushes or smoke brushes and edited accordingly. Photoshop and Photoshop downloads are an awesome tool.  :mrcool:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 06:31:22 am »
In the SLK, you can still see the old background through the driver's side window. Unless that SLK is some sort of physical anomaly, I'd probably fix that.

Yep. The whole image isn't finished yet. The mountains, clouds and background should also be slightly blurred because they're out of focus (even though I shot this image using an f10 aperture).

Wait until you see the final version. I am working on it right now.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline MrH

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:36:50 am »
Actually, that is what the sublimation process is.  The ink is printed on a sheet, then they turn it into a gas which then sticks to the shirt material.  You can print on every square inch of the jersey then.  Some of the designs are awesome.

I'll post the template I'm working with and my designs sometime this week.

I submitted that picture to our alumni magazine.  Mostly just playing with contrast and brightness levels.  I cleaned up everyone's imperfections too.  We all looked pretty beat down and sweaty from traveling through Europe, so I made sure everyone looked presentable.  Much easier to do with a graphics tablet than a mouse.
2001 Honda S2000

hotrodalex

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 06:11:44 pm »
I downloaded a bunch of mountain brushes for Photoshop and created these mountains with them. I filled them with texture from photos I shot of local earth mounds, rocky surfaces etc. and then shaped the mountains using paths, clone tool etc. to give them character and individuality. The whole process took about an hour and half. I have these mountains saved as a PSD file on my computer and you can find them in a bunch of photos of mine.  :ohyeah:

The clouds in the sky were also created using cloud brushes or smoke brushes and edited accordingly. Photoshop and Photoshop downloads are an awesome tool.  :mrcool:

Oh okay, so you didn't use just a basic brush tool. Cuz that'd be insane if you could do that and have it come out that good.

Offline Rupert

• GEOLOGIST
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 02:57:30 am »
Oh, you meant to use "sublimation"... I see. I figured it was an autocorrect.

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03:27 am »
Oh okay, so you didn't use just a basic brush tool. Cuz that'd be insane if you could do that and have it come out that good.

I wish there were brushes like that!  :lol:

But the Photoshop mountain brushes will just give you a basic shape which you also can edit and fill with textures as I did here.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline Laconian

• Administrator
  • brumm née horr
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:00 am »
Oh, you meant to use "sublimation"... I see. I figured it was an autocorrect.

I thought you grew up reading MacWorld in the early 90's. They talked a lot about this shit! I thought thermal wax was the sexiest print tech, but it was like $5/page back in 1990, which was like a whole week's allowance back then.
MX-5 RF / Subie Outback

Mazda > Ferrari

Offline Secret Chimp

• best coast
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
Everyone knows I am the photoshop master

That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Online JWC

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
LightRoom 4 is on special.  I decided to buy this too.  Digital photography really isn't as cheap as you think it is. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845955-REG/Adobe_65165061_Photoshop_Lightroom_4_Software.html
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 03:48:23 am »
LightRoom 4 is on special.  I decided to buy this too.  Digital photography really isn't as cheap as you think it is. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845955-REG/Adobe_65165061_Photoshop_Lightroom_4_Software.html

Did you hear about the new Adoble policy? No more Creative Suites - now they're going to be offering a Creative Clout setup for graphic artists that will have to be paid for on a monthly basis. Seems like suicide to me.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline Galaxy

• CarSPINNER
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 09:36:33 am »
Hitler rage works for Adobe as well.

!

"I don't lease my fucking panzers! Why should I lease my creative software?"

Online JWC

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:09 am »
Did you hear about the new Adoble policy? No more Creative Suites - now they're going to be offering a Creative Clout setup for graphic artists that will have to be paid for on a monthly basis. Seems like suicide to me.

Yeah, it has been discussed on the photo forums.  If you have to have the newest upgrades ASAP, it makes sense.  But, my main program is CS2.  It does everything I need a photo program to do.  Everything else is handled by specialty programs or Capture One.  I am beginning to utilize LR4, but if Adobe makes that subscription only too, I'll go back to Capture One or Corel.
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:27 pm »
Hitler rage works for Adobe as well.

!

"I don't lease my fucking panzers! Why should I lease my creative software?"

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
Yeah, it has been discussed on the photo forums.  If you have to have the newest upgrades ASAP, it makes sense.  But, my main program is CS2.  It does everything I need a photo program to do.  Everything else is handled by specialty programs or Capture One.  I am beginning to utilize LR4, but if Adobe makes that subscription only too, I'll go back to Capture One or Corel.

I like the programming and feel of Adobe products. I just don't like the idea of switching to another software and getting used to it all over again - and the fact that they're certainly not as powerful and good as Adobe products.

I'm still using CS4 Creative Suite and LR3.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline MrH

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »
I've got CS6, so I guess I'll be using that for quite awhile now.
2001 Honda S2000

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 05:06:08 am »
I've got CS6, so I guess I'll be using that for quite awhile now.

I might buy a copy just to have the last and most modern Photoshop program in my collection when this Creative Clout stuff comes along...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Online JWC

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 05:32:25 pm »
I might buy a copy just to have the last and most modern Photoshop program in my collection when this Creative Clout stuff comes along...

Hard copies have already been stopped by Adobe, according to my sources.  You might want to go ahead and take the leap.

The only advantage I see with using LR4 (Capture One is nicer) is that I'll be able to get updates for RAW conversions.  Adobe is not supporting CS2 any longer.  That, by-the-way, is the danger of buying CS6.  They may force you to subscribe to get updates for newer cameras.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:35:27 pm by JWC »

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:02 am »
Hard copies have already been stopped by Adobe, according to my sources.  You might want to go ahead and take the leap.

The only advantage I see with using LR4 (Capture One is nicer) is that I'll be able to get updates for RAW conversions.  Adobe is not supporting CS2 any longer.  That, by-the-way, is the danger of buying CS6.  They may force you to subscribe to get updates for newer cameras.

Yeah, it's pretty nasty how we're being herded into a monopoly-type of situation by Adobe.  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de