Author Topic: Downsizing from a DSLR ... suggestions?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Lebowski

Downsizing from a DSLR ... suggestions?
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »
So in the process of getting ready to move later this month I am going through all my shit with an eye towards, "do I use this ... and if not what to do w/ it?"

I have a Nikon D7000 that I bought in Feb 2011.  It's a nice camera but, the reality is I don't use it that much, and I haven't learned to use it anywhere near it's potential.  I kind of view it as an attempt to take on a new hobby that just didn't take - I'm just not as interested in learning photography as I thought I'd be.  On top of that, due to it's size, I don't have it on me in a lot of instances where a camera would be nice to have.  I could probably sell it on craigslist, along w/ the accessories, for a decent amount and get something that I would get more use out of plus have some cash left over to piss away on furnishings and other house related stuff.

Thought's on a reasonable replacement?  Wouldn't mind having a little more capability than a point and shoot (unless they have really improved in the last few years), but at the same time small enough that I can have it on me more often and that still takes very good pics.  It seems there's been pretty big strides made in this segment of the market the last few years, but I haven't really kept up w/ what.

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
Re: Downsizing from a DSLR ... suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:20 am »
Me n Mr H love our Sony NEXs... and knowing us, if we agree on something its gotta be pretty damn good

There are a few varieties available.... all of which have pretty much the same image quality and just different ergonomics. I would say either go for the NEX-3N if you just want the cheapest + newest one, or the NEX-6 if you like having a viewfinder (good if you do a lot of shooting in sunlight)

The only thing I'm not crazy about are the menu setups... but honestly for you you can just put it in Auto mode and never touch them. I would get the camera body alone and then either get the 18-55 kit lens or the 18-200 big zoom... DON'T get the 16-50 PZ, it SUCKS.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Offline Lebowski

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:48:43 pm »
Thanks, I will look into those.

The 3N looks sweet, not sure if I want to give up the viewfinder but in terms of price and size that looks like a good option.

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:01:45 pm »
I have the nex5n as well.  (First one here to have it.  I'm a trend setter)
where were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Offline MexicoCityM3

• Founder, BMW Car Club de México
  • Administrator
  • Founder, BMW Car Club de México
    • BMW Car Club de México
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:17:51 pm »
the new Nokia phone with the big ass camera? I think its the Lumia 1020
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Offline Raza

• Bloggers
  • Asshole
    • Acceleration Therapy
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:17:37 pm »
Those Sony Nex cameras seem to be the best bet. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you’re too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Offline JWC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:44 pm »
Can't argue with the Sony choice.  I like the Olympus Pen series.

If I were doing away with my DSLR(s)...I'd be buying Fuji.  I'd love an XPro1.  I'd settle for an X100s. 
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline Lebowski

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:07:44 am »

If I were doing away with my DSLR(s)...I'd be buying Fuji.  I'd love an XPro1.  I'd settle for an X100s. 

I will czech those out as well, thanks.

Offline Galaxy

• CarSPINNER
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 03:04:00 am »

I love what Fuji did with the X Series. Especially since they brought back setting the shutter speed by a single dial, and setting the aperture by a ring on the lens. That is just such a logical setup, I don't know why companies git rid of that setup.

Their sensor seems to be excellent as well.