Author Topic: Experimented with new lighting techniques for night photography  (Read 1966 times)

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
I just bought this powerful LED lamp for 25 Euros from Amazon because of raving reviews from fellow automotive photographers. Cartrend 50228 LED Light. It's fairly powerful and has an endurance of 4 hours (when fully charged).

Below are some of the experimental shots I took last night. I generally left the camera at 20-30 seconds exposure and an aperture of f10, ISO 250. So far, I like the results that this lamp has given me but I will need to use it more often to know from which angles it works best etc. Best of all, this is a clean white light and not a bluish light that so many LED lighting products tend to give off.

If you're an avid car photographer and this product is available in your country, I'd recommend giving it a try.  :ohyeah:

Stay tuned for the finished photo that I will create from various exposure shots.  :cheers:

Here you can see me lighting the car from the left (your right).

In this shot, I put the lamp on the floor and let it light the car for 20-30 seconds.

Frontal side lighting. I really like the light and ambience generated here. I basically pointed the light at the at the floor from a 45 degree angle for 10 or 15 seconds and the 20-30 second camera exposure did the rest. Like I said, I am studying the images, exposure time and the angles to see what works and what doesn't.

Dramatic rear lighting from afar. Again, 10-15 second light exposure, 20-30 second open shutter on the camera...

Full walk-around, 30" @ f 10, ISO 250.

Full walk-around, 30" @ f 10, ISO 250, but with the LED's pointed towards the camera to create that "line effect"...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Offline FlatBlackCaddy

Re: Experimented with new lighting techniques for night photography
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »
How are you(or whoever) not present in the first(linear) walkaround?

hotrodalex

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »

He's always behind the light. Even though an area looks lit up, it was only when he was on the other side.

Offline FlatBlackCaddy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27:56 pm »
He's always behind the light. Even though an area looks lit up, it was only when he was on the other side.

Ahh, I get it. Didn't think of the individual frames just the whole.

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:02 am »

I was quickly walking around the car which meant that my body would not be captured by the open shutter and resulting exposure time. In the first photo where my red-white stripped shirt is visible, I was standing there and did not move, which is why my body was captured by the camera.  ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Offline heelntoe

• das ist nicht meine fault
  • please to be no eatings
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:05:59 pm »
Cool. Now you can start doing stuff like zis?
Founder of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
@heelntoe

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:41:00 am »
Cool. Now you can start doing stuff like zis?

Yes! I wasn't much of a fan of light painting, but I am warming up to it now!

www.wimmerfotografie.de