Author Topic: Car Chat  (Read 112851 times)

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
Re: Car Chat
« Reply #6480 on: February 10, 2019, 06:49:52 am »
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike, than other people do in all their life" - Marco Simoncelli

#CoolDad
$5.5 million is not a huge amount for a high income to retire on, even in today's dollars.

Offline giant_mtb

• UP Detailing
« Reply #6481 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:19 am »
Thereís a universal fit kit thatgets installed under the upholstery I bought for the wagon, since Iím redoing the cushion foam anyways- infinite adjustability: Iíll let yíall know if they work decently.

I've heard they work well enough.

Offline 68_427

• beautiful
  • Is Ravishingly
« Reply #6482 on: February 10, 2019, 07:52:01 am »
My truck has three heat settings and can do both seat and back, or just back.  Just back feels so :wub:
where were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Offline Morris Minor

• No, I want my Mommy
« Reply #6483 on: February 10, 2019, 11:00:42 am »
I reconnected with a guy I'd lost touch with years ago. He started his own auto service & repair shop and it's been going strong for 15 years.
His preferred brand by far - with the fewest problems - Toyota/Lexus. The rational choice for left-brainers.
Of  the Europeans - Mercedes-Benz only. (He would not touch BMW or VW AG - fine for short leases - but terrible for long-term ownership.)

(He's not heard of it, but was completely unsurprised by the Honda 1.5T oil dilution problem - "ya shoulda got the 2.4 Andrew")
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:06:55 am by Morris Minor »
------------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Infiniti G37 Journey | 2018 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Previous: 2010 Toyota Prius | 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK350 Convertible | 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT | 2007 Scion tC | 2002 Honda Pilot | 2000 Infiniti i30 | 1992 Mazda MPV | 1992 Mazda Protege | 1987 CitroŽn 2CV | 1986 Volvo 240 GL Estate | 1982 Fiat Uno 55S.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline shp4man

• Trump Supporter! A.K.A "Shippy"
« Reply #6484 on: February 10, 2019, 03:34:46 pm »
I reconnected with a guy I'd lost touch with years ago. He started his own auto service & repair shop and it's been going strong for 15 years.
His preferred brand by far - with the fewest problems - Toyota/Lexus. The rational choice for left-brainers.
Of  the Europeans - Mercedes-Benz only. (He would not touch BMW or VW AG - fine for short leases - but terrible for long-term ownership.)

(He's not heard of it, but was completely unsurprised by the Honda 1.5T oil dilution problem - "ya shoulda got the 2.4 Andrew")

Interesting. Keep up the Jap superiority idea. How quaint.  :muffin:

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6485 on: February 10, 2019, 07:13:58 pm »
How do you figure? Guy fixes cars of all brands for a living... if he doesn't know who is reliable who does?
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike, than other people do in all their life" - Marco Simoncelli

#CoolDad
$5.5 million is not a huge amount for a high income to retire on, even in today's dollars.

Offline shp4man

« Reply #6486 on: February 10, 2019, 07:49:56 pm »
How do you figure? Guy fixes cars of all brands for a living... if he doesn't know who is reliable who does?

Ha. The times, they are a changin'. The Japs made the best a while ago, I'll give you that. Not so much any more.

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6487 on: February 10, 2019, 07:58:36 pm »
Ha. The times, they are a changin'. The Japs made the best a while ago, I'll give you that. Not so much any more.
Who makes the best now?

#CoolDad

Offline Eye of the Tiger

• alive/mechanic
  • no garage
    • NoGarage
« Reply #6488 on: February 10, 2019, 08:00:46 pm »
Who makes the best now?

Nobody. It's all crap now.
1988 GMC K1500 4.3 ... 2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ... 1986 Ford Ranger 2.0 ... 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 ... May God Rest Their Soul

Offline Soup DeVille

« Reply #6489 on: February 11, 2019, 05:44:19 am »
I have a feeling that the most talented engineers in all companies have been moved off of  ICE cars/drivetrains and are now working on the electrics.

And the ICEs are being saddled with an entirely new generation of efficiency/emissions measures. 
We should get into the sympathy business.  There is a killing to be made.

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6490 on: February 11, 2019, 06:24:19 am »
Yea, it is a double whammy in that way

I still think the plain hybrid is the most efficient use of resources. EVs are too battery intensive and electric source dependent. PHEVs combine the worst of both worlds and often don't even get charged by their owners. People just get them for the tax breaks. I hope to see a move away from PHEVs.

#CoolDad

Offline Xer0

« Reply #6491 on: February 11, 2019, 03:36:43 pm »
So, I'm planning on replacing the Si with something this year as a birthday present to myself in September.  The current front runner is the Civic Type R so that I can continue the Honda fanboy.  I'll also try and drive a G70 Sport for shits and giggles but the reviews of the manual cars have been pretty tepid. 

Well, I was doing the usual enthusiast exercise of "maybe I could afford this awesome car if it was slightly used" and it turns out that 2017 M2s are being listed between 42-46K with a few examples as low as 40K.  This got the wheels a spinning as its not that far off the Type R, which are going for like 38K new.  Maybe an M2 is in my future  :hmm:

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6492 on: February 11, 2019, 04:38:46 pm »
Split the difference? New 230i with the 6MT, M-Performance LSD & suspension, and wheels/tires. If you slum it on options you can get a brand new one for around $40K. My friend has a 228i and it's fucking quick.... def not far off from a CTR

#CoolDad

Offline BimmerM3

• Fight! Win! Drink! Get Naked!
« Reply #6493 on: February 11, 2019, 05:09:41 pm »

You do realize that "Jap" is a slur, right?

He also only specifically mentioned Toyota as being reliable.
-Charlie
2008 Honda S2000 - 2006 Ford Explorer - 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian that I don't know how to ride

Offline shp4man

« Reply #6494 on: February 11, 2019, 05:18:29 pm »

In the motorcycle world, "Jap bike" is pretty common. It wasn't meant to be a racist comment.

Offline Xer0

« Reply #6495 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:23 pm »
Split the difference? New 230i with the 6MT, M-Performance LSD & suspension, and wheels/tires. If you slum it on options you can get a brand new one for around $40K. My friend has a 228i and it's fucking quick.... def not far off from a CTR

I just don't see the benefit of saving 5K on a new 230 vs a barely used M2.  I thought a 230/228 might be a good fit for a bit but the way BMW pricing works you have to add a good amount of things to the 2 series to get it where you want vs the M2 which comes with all of it standard.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:51:29 pm by Xer0 »

Offline MrH

« Reply #6496 on: February 11, 2019, 06:52:37 pm »

It is? :confused: I google searched it. Looks like it was used a lot during World War II for anti Japanese media. It looks like thatís the reason itís considered derogatory. If thatís the case, why is Jew still acceptable?
2018 Honda Accord EX-L
2001 Honda S2000

Previous: 2002 Mazda Protege5, 2008 Mazda Miata, 2005 Toyota Tacoma, 2009 Honda Element, 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2014 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, 2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Offline Soup DeVille

« Reply #6497 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:58 pm »
It is? :confused: I google searched it. Looks like it was used a lot during World War II for anti Japanese media. It looks like thatís the reason itís considered derogatory. If thatís the case, why is Jew still acceptable?

Its a mild slur; like kraut, limey or gopnik. Nobody's actually offended by it.

Offline FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #6498 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:27 pm »
 Gopnik?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline Soup DeVille

Offline BimmerM3

• Fight! Win! Drink! Get Naked!
« Reply #6500 on: February 11, 2019, 07:23:27 pm »
In the motorcycle world, "Jap bike" is pretty common. It wasn't meant to be a racist comment.

I didn't mean to imply that you meant it to be racist - just letting you know that it has that connotation.

It is? :confused: I google searched it. Looks like it was used a lot during World War II for anti Japanese media. It looks like thatís the reason itís considered derogatory.

Pretty much. It's not the most vile thing in the world, but I still wouldn't throw it out in casual conversation.

If thatís the case, why is Jew still acceptable?

Beats me. I'm not an etymologist.
-Charlie
2008 Honda S2000 - 2006 Ford Explorer - 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian that I don't know how to ride

Offline FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #6501 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:03 pm »
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #6502 on: February 11, 2019, 08:19:04 pm »
Is not Jew the name of a people much the same as Roma?  Of course there are many pejoratives of both.

Offline Eye of the Tiger

• alive/mechanic
  • no garage
    • NoGarage
« Reply #6503 on: February 11, 2019, 08:40:00 pm »
Is not Jew the name of a people much the same as Roma?  Of course there are many pejoratives of both.

But Roma is also the name of a tomato.
1988 GMC K1500 4.3 ... 2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ... 1986 Ford Ranger 2.0 ... 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 ... May God Rest Their Soul

Offline Galaxy

• CarSPINNER
« Reply #6504 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:53 pm »
In Canada the Golf Sportwagen, and Alltrack have a 40% take rate on the manual transmission. Even VW is surprised. I guess they are kinda eccentric cars there to begin with, and if you go accentric you go all in.

Offline Laconian

• Administrator
  • brumm nťe horr
« Reply #6505 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:42 pm »
In Canada the Golf Sportwagen, and Alltrack have a 40% take rate on the manual transmission. Even VW is surprised. I guess they are kinda eccentric cars there to begin with, and if you go accentric you go all in.
They should go full Jalopnik and make a standard trim out of a stinky diesel engine and ScheiŖbraun paint.
MX-5 RF / Subie Outback

"Damn that new Ferrari V12!  I'm pissed they made the intake so tall.  I can't swap it into a Kia Rio because it won't clear the hood now!" :lol:

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #6506 on: February 12, 2019, 02:20:17 am »
I hate how the EU wants to literally force everyone to drive an electric car. Until these cars have some range and a charging time of 5 minutes, then I will refuse to drive one.

As of late the EU has really shown its anti-democratic stance by ignoring the wishes of the people and introducing a bunch of censorship laws that are clearly aimed at silencing ďregimeĒ-critical voices. Critical voices and conspiracy theorists also believe that the electric car will be another means for the EU to control the population.

Namely:

1) Electric cars have crap range. Citizens canít go anywhere without constantly having to charge. Charging stations are rare.

2) If youíre regime (yes, regime) critical the government can shut off your individual charging capabilities making you a sitting duck in your electric car.

George Orwellís 1984 says hello!

I recently saw a documentary about charging stations in Germany. Most charging stations are rated at a slow 20kw/h (IIRC) which slow-charge your car. Youíre billed by the hour. Seems like a great way to rip off the new electric car drivers.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line W177

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6507 on: February 12, 2019, 04:51:21 am »
2) If youíre regime (yes, regime) critical the government can shut off your individual charging capabilities making you a sitting duck in your electric car.
The EU is nuts, but when have they ever cut off someone's electricity for dissent? Don't respond to crazy with crazy.

#CoolDad

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
« Reply #6508 on: February 12, 2019, 07:30:40 am »
The EU is nuts, but when have they ever cut off someone's electricity for dissent? Don't respond to crazy with crazy.

They have not - YET. Besides, that theory isn't from me, but from some hardcore political nuts who watch every step of the EU and see a conspiracy behind every move.

I do think this could be plausible in the future since the EU is introducing all of these censorship laws (GDPR, EU Article 11 & 13) aimed at those who criticize their ways and behind-the-back dealings, and they have a desire to get rid of printed money and move everyone into digital currency (aka potentially more control over consumers)...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line W177

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6509 on: February 12, 2019, 08:07:38 am »
They have not - YET. Besides, that theory isn't from me, but from some hardcore political nuts who watch every step of the EU and see a conspiracy behind every move.

I do think this could be plausible in the future since the EU is introducing all of these censorship laws (GDPR, EU Article 11 & 13) aimed at those who criticize their ways and behind-the-back dealings, and they have a desire to get rid of printed money and move everyone into digital currency (aka potentially more control over consumers)...
I wouldn't buy into conspiracy theories man.

As for the move to digital currency, that's not really the EU's doing, but more consumers. What percent of your money do you keep in cash and gold bullion? The move away from hard currency started as soon as fiat money was invented.

EU has enough real problems that people shouldn't be resorting to conspiracy theories and hypotheticals to bash it.

#CoolDad