Author Topic: GF wants to get a nice $400ish camera  (Read 254 times)

Offline Rich

• Highway Man
  • Welcome to Costco. I love you.
GF wants to get a nice $400ish camera
« on: February 13, 2018, 07:00:06 am »
A lot of you have been there done that and sold what you have. Any suggestions?
2000 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2017 Toyota 86

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
Re: GF wants to get a nice $400ish camera
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:02:52 am »
I need a little more info

But with just that info, I'd suggest a used Sony RX100 III (dont bother with the I or II as their lenses are slow as shit). It will fit in your pocket or her purse and has image quality about as good as a 3-4 year old DSLR. It will get awesome photos in the daytime and decent photos in low light. Here are some photos from that:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sonyrx100iii/pool/with/39203860835/

Another idea that's a little less portable is a Sony A5100 + 1650 lens. Image quality on this will be about the same, but it has a selfie screen (which is kind of key) and you can change the lenses. I'd put a little extra money on top and get this with the Sigma 30 1.4 DN (make sure to get the Sony version). You can use the 16-50 for general shit and then use the Sigma when you want to isolate your subject or shoot in very low light.

I'm biased because I shoot Sony but they have an advantage in that they have the best sensors (they make sensors for most other camera manufacturers and phones) and they generally make smaller cameras. They also have decent video which can't be said about many other brands either. I'd look at those

Cliffs:

Used RX100 III- very small, light, decent image quality, only one lens though

Sony A5100- a little bigger, better image quality, selfie screen, ability to upgrade lenses. I'd add this lens for low light and portrait stuff (it will blur the backgrounds)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Offline mzziaz

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:35:34 am »
Check out the Olympus PEN cameras. It uses the micro four thirds format which is the mirrorless format with most support. I just picked up an e-pl5 used with two kit lenses for around $300.

If size is not an issue, I'd suggest going with an entry level DSLR from either Nikon or Canon.
Cuore Sportivo

Offline JWC

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:09 am »
I've switched out from Canon gear to Pentax. Great cameras, great IQ, and best of all K-mount. Pentax bodies can use any K mount lens from autofocus to manual focus---and with Pentax's adapter, M42 screw mount lenses.

For P&S, the Olympus Pens are really good. I have a EPL-1 Pen (daughter and wife have EPL-3s). I used mine to shoot a child's portrait at a church fair, entered the shot in the annual art show and got third in portraits. Pens are great little cameras.
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals