Author Topic: New/old cameras  (Read 699 times)

Online JWC

New/old cameras
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:43:13 pm »
I've been pretty darn lucky lately. I didn't get arrested Thursday---and I probably should of been. (Something for the future).

A week or so ago, a co-worker gave me a tub of "camera stuff" that belonged to his father inlaw. I offered to pay, even offering up a pro-flash for Canon, a system he shoots, but he said no. His wife suggested taking the tub to Goodwill, he decided to give it to someone who might get some use out of some old film cameras.

In car terms....generally speaking:

A Konica FT-1 Motor. Considered the best of the Konica electronic series. A couple of the batteries leaked into the battery compartment, but I can clean that. Probably a 280Z in car-spin.

A Canon EF 100-300mm L series from 1987....like a Corvette from the same year. It was the first L-series EF lens and set the standard for pro lenses that followed.

A pair of compact Jason binoculars. In binoculars to cars....an old CJ-7.

Three old hippie-style camera straps....I love those things. Been using them since the 70s. In car terms, think of those glass tubes of air freshener--the ones me, or your fathers (or grandfathers), used to attach to the car's dash vents via a clip like that used on a ink pen, and the damn thing smelled like cheap perfume--but it was better than the old vinyl and mildew of the car.

A leather camera bag from the early fifties. After doing the chores around the house, I cleaned it up and wow, nice little leather bag.  It was missing the strap, so I attached one of the previously mentioned camera straps to it. Sweet. It's a VW Beetle....

A Kodak Retina IIa 35mm folder. The vintage Opel of the box.

Five Leica rangefinder cameras. Yep, you read that right. The guy gave me the equivalent of five vintage Mercedes, ranging in age from 1930 thru 1954.

There was also a Tower Type 3---a Leica copy from the late 40s to early 50s. Pretty much the Lexus of rangefinders.

Also: a 35mm, 90mm, and two 50mm Leitz lenses. Also two shoe mount view finders, a 28mm and a 50mm.

Inside two of the Leicas were metal Lietz film cassettes--about $100 each.

Several full and half field cases for Leica.

In other words, I'm now a Hipster camera snob and the mystique of the Leica is well earned. I was skeptical before, thinking it was just bragging rights among doctors, but I admit the Leica is a genuine classic ; and now that I've spent several days figuring them out, and realizing the engineering behind them...I admit....it is something else. I'm sold on Leica. The fuckers done won me over. These are amazing considering the period of design--- 1930s Germany.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:45:34 pm by JWC »
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Offline CaminoRacer

• Alex
Re: New/old cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:14:40 am »
Wow! Feel free to send me a Leica
1969 El Camino - AutoXer

Online FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 07:14:29 am »
So, what happened on Thursday?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race." ~ Albert Einstein

Online JWC

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:04:33 am »
So, what happened on Thursday?

I lost it driving home when a Suburban driver decided that she could drive 65 in a 45mph residential area; almost rear-ending me and a couple of other drivers; passing twice in a no-passing zone---got followed so I could give her a piece of my mind and a plea to correct her arrogant driving habits.  Oddly, I wasn't raging, just fed up with the bad driving this part of NC seems to breed. She apologized profusely, so she knew what she had done. Evidently she lives in the area, because shortly after she pulled over, someone pulled behind her and was on the phone--I assume to the Sheriff's department. I would have gladly taken my punishment just for the pleasure of listening to her explain why I followed her.

As my wife pointed out, you never know who is videoing you nowadays.....or who is carrying a pistol.  The probability of a gun did cross my mind, especially since I thought it was a man driving until the driver rolled the door window down.
I believe everything that man just said---because it was exactly what I wanted to hear.  Space Ghost

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes.  But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls!  ~Ted Grant

Art should be vulnerable....images should be about what something feels like as well as what it looks like. Duane Michals

Online FoMoJo

• VP of Classic Mustangs
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 10:02:04 am »
I lost it driving home when a Suburban driver decided that she could drive 65 in a 45mph residential area; almost rear-ending me and a couple of other drivers; passing twice in a no-passing zone---got followed so I could give her a piece of my mind and a plea to correct her arrogant driving habits.  Oddly, I wasn't raging, just fed up with the bad driving this part of NC seems to breed. She apologized profusely, so she knew what she had done. Evidently she lives in the area, because shortly after she pulled over, someone pulled behind her and was on the phone--I assume to the Sheriff's department. I would have gladly taken my punishment just for the pleasure of listening to her explain why I followed her.

As my wife pointed out, you never know who is videoing you nowadays.....or who is carrying a pistol.  The probability of a gun did cross my mind, especially since I thought it was a man driving until the driver rolled the door window down.
We've got some really terrible drivers around where we now live.  Usually, I just pull up beside them and blast the horn; while my wife shakes her fist and yells at them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race." ~ Albert Einstein

Online JWC

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 10:10:04 am »
We've got some really terrible drivers around where we now live.  Usually, I just pull up beside them and blast the horn; while my wife shakes her fist and yells at them.

North Carolina is well known for its horrible drivers. I've seen NCHP troopers who couldn't properly merge into freeway traffic.

Offline 12,000 RPM

• Its not that serious
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:20:46 pm »
5! Fuck!!!!! Great come up.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Offline Morris Minor

• Andrew
  • Speorg note.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »
Those Leicas...  :wub:
------------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Infiniti G37 Journey | 2018 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Previous: 2010 Toyota Prius | 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK350 Convertible | 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT | 2007 Scion tC | 2002 Honda Pilot | 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2000 Infiniti i30 | 1992 Mazda MPV | 1992 Mazda Protege | 1987 CitroŽn 2CV | 1986 Volvo 240 GL Estate  | 1984 Renault 9 TSE | 1982 Fiat Uno 55S.

Online JWC

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 05:16:27 am »
Damn....the same guy shows up to work with a old Canon camera bag. Says, here I brought you another camera.  I check it out--not a Canon camera inside, but a Nikkormat FS, a 50mm F2 Nikkor lens, a 135mm 3.5 Nikon lens, hoods, a light meter. It turns out the FS was the least popular Nikkormat/Nikon produced and sold poorly. (It doesn't have mirror lock up or a built-in meter). Consequently, it is rare and more valuable than a lot of Nikons. I found this out at lunch and told him, offering to give the camera back. He said he still didn't want it and wasn't going to take the time to sell it.

His youngest son needs a car, and the Volvo won't pass smog in this county, but will in his. So I've offered to sign the title over to him. He said he'd think about it. His son wants a sports car, not a family wagon. I told him to take it and use it as a trade-in.

Online JWC

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:37:07 pm »
Taken in Parmele NC last spring.

Online JWC

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 09:40:32 pm »
Whitehurst Station NC

Online JWC

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 09:43:58 pm »
1920s gas pump at Whitehurst Station NC

Online JWC

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 09:45:50 pm »
BTW photos are from AristaEDU film, Olympus OM2 and OM2sp

Online JWC

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 09:51:45 pm »
Abandoned Hardee's  Robersonville NC

Online JWC

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 09:53:10 pm »
Hardee's drive thru menu sign

Online JWC

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 09:57:22 pm »
Abandoned farm house found in the woods of North Carolina, Pitt County.

Online JWC

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 08:50:59 am »
Bought a Canon 1DS Mark II from Keh Camera; In excellent condition; 3 month warranty. Originally this camera sold new for $8,000.  Used, $599 with tax and shipping.

If I get laid off, its can help me return to some portrait work.

Offline Morris Minor

• Andrew
  • Speorg note.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:25 am »
Bought a Canon 1DS Mark II from Keh Camera; In excellent condition; 3 month warranty. Originally this camera sold new for $8,000.  Used, $599 with tax and shipping.

If I get laid off, its can help me return to some portrait work.
Nice - full frame. Do you have the lenses for it?
Previous: 2010 Toyota Prius | 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK350 Convertible | 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT | 2007 Scion tC | 2002 Honda Pilot | 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2000 Infiniti i30 | 1992 Mazda MPV | 1992 Mazda Protege | 1987 CitroŽn 2CV | 1986 Volvo 240 GL Estate  | 1984 Renault 9 TSE | 1982 Fiat Uno 55S.

Offline Morris Minor

• Andrew
  • Speorg note.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 10:42:23 am »
LED light from a PC I have running folding@home:

Online JWC

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 12:51:13 am »
Nice - full frame. Do you have the lenses for it?

Oh yeah. I shot Canon FF with the photo business using 5d camera with 30d and film as backup. When I shut things down, I didn't sell off the gear. I still have all my lens, flashes, and studio lights. I no longer have the space anymore, but I can figure something out.

The original Canon 5d suffered from reflex mirror separating from its mount. Great camera, but a serious flaw. It can be fixed, but you have to save the part and a niece grabbed the part and promptly lost it. You can't get replacements...yet. When mine failed it was while shooting, ironically, the last wedding I planned to shoot. Fortunately I had two Pentax digital cameras as backup to finish the wedding.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:19:27 am by JWC »