My co-workers 335i

Started by SVT666, July 09, 2007, 11:19:59 AM

Champ

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 09, 2007, 10:27:10 PM
I am surprised two dozen haters have not come out and told you how bad it is to go with larger custom wheels :huh:
He didn't claim they were better for performance, like you did.

I don't care if someone puts a larger/heavier/lighter wheel on a car if it makes them happy, but for someone to say they did it for performance, when there are options that perform better - that is silly.

Rich

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 09, 2007, 04:43:15 PM

:lol:

Its really odd to overstate the weight. I guess they are protecting themselves from manufacturing variances?? :huh:

I'm going out on a limb....

Pad the egos of an M3 buyer whose car actually weighs the same as the 335i? :huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT_Power

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 10, 2007, 01:24:56 AM
I'm going out on a limb....

Pad the egos of an M3 buyer whose car actually weighs the same as the 335i? :huh:

that'd be really funny if it was true :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: omicron on July 09, 2007, 10:47:20 PM
Bah!

:wub:

Also pretty plain looking.  Now the E46 M3; that looks more substantial.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Raza on July 10, 2007, 04:05:06 AM
Also pretty plain looking. Now the E46 M3; that looks more substantial.

I think it's handsome; a description I cannot apply to the new one.

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on July 09, 2007, 12:06:38 PM
Because it looks better than all painted and really emphasizes the width of the rim itself. other than fully polished, it's my favorite look for a wheel. Like these 19" wheels I'm considering for the E38:

x3

Those would look great on the E-38.  I was considering a similar wheel by BMW, but then I started to look at selling it.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT666

Quote from: eThirteen on July 09, 2007, 11:08:06 PM
so he pulled 330 whp stock with just an ECU upgrade? usually ECU doesn't give you a peak gain at the higher rpm, instead it gives a peak gain at the midrange.
The midrange is where the biggest bump came, but you have to remember that an ECU upgrade on a turbo motor is a lot more effective then it is on a NA motor.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on July 09, 2007, 11:22:19 PM
At 3,360 lbs., I officially love the E92 again.? It's perfect...except for iDrive.
I gotta tell you, after using his iDrive a couple times and getting used to it, it's really not that bad.  Too many things are controlled through it, but most things are just fine.  Especially since it's mostly voice activated.

SVT666

Quote from: Champ on July 09, 2007, 11:39:48 PM
He didn't claim they were better for performance, like you did.

I don't care if someone puts a larger/heavier/lighter wheel on a car if it makes them happy, but for someone to say they did it for performance, when there are options that perform better - that is silly.
Those 19" wheels he put on it weigh less then the stock 18s.

Nethead

ChrisV: "Seriously, however, I love the coupes better than the sedans. I always have, and given the choice will pick a coupe version of a car over the sedan version. My years of studying automotive design from the turn of last century to the present just points out the better proportions of the coupes, for the most part, and this is no exception. The sedan looks too plebian, whereas the coupe looks more rakish. I wish the 7 series had been available as a coupe..."

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

On July 6th I had lunch near Little Italy at a restaurant on a street that runs north off Pratt just up a block or two from the old powerplant building that now is home to an ESPN sports center, a bookstore, etc. and a block or two west of the shot tower.  I hate that I missed seeing your BMW, as I know you would do it right.
So many stairs...so little time...

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2007, 08:00:02 AM
I gotta tell you, after using his iDrive a couple times and getting used to it, it's really not that bad.  Too many things are controlled through it, but most things are just fine.  Especially since it's mostly voice activated.

No joke, when I drove the E60, I couldn't figure out how to adjust the mirrors.  Thanks, iDrive.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 06:05:44 AM
I think it's handsome; a description I cannot apply to the new one.

agreed.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

1 BAD 7

It ok Hemi666 maybe you didnot know but god has given him special ability to determine weight of peoples wheels without any information on them.  I was as confused as you when he pretended that my custom wheels were heavier then my stock wheels.

But I guess that is his nature ;)

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2007, 08:00:42 AM
Those 19" wheels he put on it weigh less then the stock 18s.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

SVT666

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 10, 2007, 02:22:19 PM
It ok Hemi666 maybe you didnot know but god has given him special ability to determine weight of peoples wheels without any information on them.? I was as confused as you when he pretended that my custom wheels were heavier then my stock wheels.

But I guess that is his nature ;)

The front 19" wheels are 11 lbs lighter and the rears are 14 lbs lighter than the 18" wheels they replaced.  He weighed them himself.

Raza

That's quite a loss in unsprung weight!  I personally wouldn't have upsized, but at that weight loss, that's really impressive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

FYI, the wheels from Kayani's thread were also lighter wheels, but every claimed that since the overall diameter of the wheel was bigger it would still result in lower performance because the weight was futher away from the hub.

Additionally, people made the point that if you can get bigger wheels that are lighter, you could have kept the same size wheels and gotten soemthing even lighter than the 19s, and probably even went down to 17's and gotten something extremely light.

As for me, I am happy to rock my 18's heavies just cause they look good.  :thumbsup:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10053.msg502433#msg502433 date=1184101938
Horseshoes!

:praise:

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10053.msg502405#msg502405 date=1184099598
That's quite a loss in unsprung weight!? I personally wouldn't have upsized, but at that weight loss, that's really impressive.
Why not go with 12" wheels then.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2007, 03:20:56 PM

I mean that personally, I think 18" is about the perfect size for a rim.  I wouldn't go bigger than that, personally. 

Personally, personally, personally.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2007, 03:20:56 PM

Wheels gotta fit over the brakes! I think the smallest my GTI can fit is 16", and my brakes are not that big.

Raghavan

I would've gone with 17", unless the sidewall becomes too big and ugly.
SJ's GTI has rubberband tires.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raghavan on July 10, 2007, 03:29:11 PM
I would've gone with 17", unless the sidewall becomes too big and ugly.
SJ's GTI has rubberband tires.

Screw you hippie!

FYI, my wheels and tires are pretty much identical in size to a stock S4.  :huh:

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2007, 02:29:55 PM
The front 19" wheels are 11 lbs lighter and the rears are 14 lbs lighter than the 18" wheels they replaced.? He weighed them himself.

unless the stockers were complete anvils, i can't imagine the weight difference is that great
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Maybe he meant together. Like, his two new fronts are 11 lbs lighter than the old fronts, and the 2 new rears are 14 lbs lighter, combined.

Otherwise, DAMN! A 50 lb weight reduction just from wheels is impressive.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on July 10, 2007, 05:02:50 PM
Maybe he meant together. Like, his two new fronts are 11 lbs lighter than the old fronts, and the 2 new rears are 14 lbs lighter, combined.

Otherwise, DAMN! A 50 lb weight reduction just from wheels is impressive.

Still though, my stock 18x8 RX8 wheels are 21lbs a piece (cast aluminum) and you will have a hard time finding an 18" wheel of that width anything lighter then 18lbs without really resorting to draining your bank account.  I can't imagine BMW putting on wheels that weight somewhere around 25-30 lbs a piece.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2007, 05:05:55 PM
Still though, my stock 18x8 RX8 wheels are 21lbs a piece (cast aluminum) and you will have a hard time finding an 18" wheel of that width anything lighter then 18lbs without really resorting to draining your bank account.? I can't imagine BMW putting on wheels that weight somewhere around 25-30 lbs a piece.

My wheels are about 27 lbs each. Manufacturer wheels tend to be heavier since they don't want people breaking them. I would guess non-M wheels are indeed in the 25-30 lb range.

1 BAD 7

Well it is quiet ok SJ you know after all I am the designated BMW troll arround here so few of these childish posters feel like they need to pee? ?:pee:? all over my shoes.

But then again what is new these so called self proclaimed troll fighters have god given right to insult others because after all they are the judge and executioner arround here. I just thank my lucky stars that they are not the moderators because they are the ones that start with inuslts and then point the fingers. :praise:

Anyways enough of my rant I am just glad that you, redshift, chrisV, MX793, wimmer and few others are always very decent people and it is a pleasure to post arround you guys. :ohyeah:

Other wise some of these drama queens we have arround here are too much? :lol:

Anyways back on the topic of wheels. I think your wheels look very nice and they fill the gap nicely. They make they car look a lot more aggressive and sporty. By the way what size tire are you runing SJ and what brand.? ?

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 10, 2007, 03:08:37 PM
FYI, the wheels from Kayani's thread were also lighter wheels, but every claimed that since the overall diameter of the wheel was bigger it would still result in lower performance because the weight was futher away from the hub.

Additionally, people made the point that if you can get bigger wheels that are lighter, you could have kept the same size wheels and gotten soemthing even lighter than the 19s, and probably even went down to 17's and gotten something extremely light.

As for me, I am happy to rock my 18's heavies just cause they look good.? :thumbsup:

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

r0tor

holy jeebus... i'm going to have to design a new center cap to replace the Mazda symbol and start selling my stockers to some unfortunate anvil owners  :confused:

1 BAD 7

Rotor even going with 18 Ibs vs 21 Ibs all arround is a very decent advantage in your case if you decide to do it. According to my research from when I was getting my wheels.....by removing each unsrpung Ib of weight you can effectively be removing 10 Ibs of? weight from your overall car. So just by removing 12 pounds of unsprung weight you can effectively remove 12 x 10 = 120 Ibs of your car. I think that is a decent reduction by going with lighter wheels. Now if you can effectively reduce the weight of your tires as well as your wheels you are looking at even bigger advantage.

Most tires of equal size by even the same manufacture can vary in weight according to their make up and type. I did this type of research at tire rack for my tires and found some 22's that were nearly as light as my 19's despite so much larger size. As for going lighter then 18 Ibs for 18" wheels you are right you would have to spend some serious cash.?

Quote from: r0tor on July 10, 2007, 05:05:55 PM
Still though, my stock 18x8 RX8 wheels are 21lbs a piece (cast aluminum) and you will have a hard time finding an 18" wheel of that width anything lighter then 18lbs without really resorting to draining your bank account.? I can't imagine BMW putting on wheels that weight somewhere around 25-30 lbs a piece.

www.KayaniTravel.com