Very Cool Saab 9-5 Estate!

Started by BMWDave, May 08, 2005, 09:49:06 AM

BMWDave

Link

Saab 9-5 Estate ETH-1  

It might look like any other Saab load-lugger, but do not be fooled. There is nothing ordinary about this workhorse. With the latest alternative fuel engine under its bonnet, this version of the 9-5 Estate delivers amazing performance and has a 155mph top speed. The ethanol-powered unit is still in prototype form, but offers a massive 300bhp.

Yet it is a car that will also be popular with conservationists when it goes into production next year, as its 2.3-litre engine uses a renewable fuel. The car will be built in small numbers by Saab to persuade Europeans to drive on ethanol - the fuel made from agricultural crops such as sugar cane.

A new range of 2.0-litre 9-5 BioPower models reaches Swedish showrooms in June, and orders are already being taken. They will cost no more than conventional 2.0-litre petrol cars, and provide improved performance.

What's more, the government there has made ethanol 15 per cent cheaper than petrol, decided the cars using it are exempt from congestion and parking charges, and lopped 20 per cent off the tax paid by business drivers. Let's hope the UK authorities follow suit in future.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

That's pretty amazing if it works.

From press I always assumed ethanol was a bit of a joke, because it could never be produced in enough volume to be as cheap as gas. Maybe this will indeed start a trend.

Colonel Cadillac

The numbers sound good, but they go through the front wheels.

TurboDan

Wow, that's awesome!!  I always thought ethanol would be a great alternative too, but what's the MPG rating?  Could we possibly produce enough corn/sugar cane, etc. to sustain a large portion of vehicles running on it?

I've always been very interested in this topic and never knew that much about it.  Hmm, I wonder if I should invest more in ADM?  B)  

TBR

Looks like they just made my favorite SAAB even better :)

Rupert

Ethanol is like biodiesel, hybrids, and diesel cars. It's great as an intermediate energy source on the way to something better.  
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA