Next-Generation Camry Set for Debut Next Year

Started by BMWDave, June 23, 2005, 09:23:35 PM

BMWDave

Link

Next-Generation Camry Set for Debut Next Year
Date Posted 06-23-2005

Toyota goes to great lengths to keep its upcoming models under wraps, but we've got the latest photos of the 2007 Toyota Camry that will go on sale early next year. Unlike the 2007 Honda Accord that's getting a minor face-lift, the next-generation Camry will be all-new from the ground up.

As our spy photos show, this Camry will have a more distinctive shape than the slab-sided design of the current model. With Toyota's newfound emphasis on more dramatic designs, expect to see a more stylish interior as well. Already one of the bigger sedans in its segment, the 2007 Camry prototype in the spy pictures looks as though it may be even longer than the current model.

In addition to the usual four- and six-cylinder power plants, this will be the first generation of the Camry to offer a hybrid drivetrain. Like the RX 400h, the Camry Hybrid will most likely combine electric motors with a gas V6 to deliver even better performance than the standard six-cylinder. The Camry Hybrid will be built in Georgetown, Kentucky, making it the first Toyota hybrid to be built in the United States.

Non-hybrid models will most likely get slightly improved versions of the current engines, so expect a base four-cylinder with roughly 170 to 180 horsepower. Higher-line V6 models should fall in the 250-260-hp range, enough to keep it competitive without pushing too close to the 280-hp Avalon.

Look for a possible debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in October, with sales beginning in the U.S. next year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Sounds great, but they need to inject some emotion before I will consider the Camry to be best in class.  

SargeMonkey

Looks like a nother winner, lots of duct tape on that model, I wonder what option package that is?
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

ifcar

Looks horridly bloated, more so than the current version. It should, at least, sport a more-attractive interior.

BMWDave

It looks to sport a more nicely, cleanly designed exterior as well.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteIt looks to sport a more nicely, cleanly designed exterior as well.
Not if these pics are any indication.  <_<  

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

BMWDave

QuoteYou can tell what? :blink:
That it has a nice clean design.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

You think so? It just looks like the current Camry, but fatter, to me.

BMWDave

QuoteYou think so? It just looks like the current Camry, but fatter, to me.
It looks less floaty, and lower to the ground.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

I agree that the shape is clean....but look at the friggin rear wheel!

BMWDave

QuoteI agree that the shape is clean....but look at the friggin rear wheel!
These are just mules....the production ones will probably have different wheels.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I think the lower to the ground aspect is an illusion, thanks to the black car over the shadow.

BMWDave

I dont think its an allusion...the current camry's butt looks like its headed toward outer space.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

ifcar

QuoteI dont think its an allusion...the current camry's butt looks like its headed toward outer space.
That's just because the back bumper is mounted high:

Raza

Still looks slab sided to me.

Hope they re-engineered the suspension.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

I'm interested to see what they'll come up with. I was worried back in 2002, (we'd bought our newer camry not too long before that) thinking they'd mess up a winner, and when they brought out a new model, I was very wrong. They made it much better than the previous one, which I'd thought was the best at the time. I'm sure they won't risk doing anything stupid with the new Camry, they like/need that best seller, but I hope that it looks a little more angular and a little less rounded. From the spy shots, however, that doesn't appear to be the case.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

CaseyNPham

QuoteLooks like a nother winner, lots of duct tape on that model, I wonder what option package that is?
Well, I guess their secret to making sure their cars never fall apart is to make sure all the piece stay together!
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

BMWDave

QuoteI'm interested to see what they'll come up with. I was worried back in 2002, (we'd bought our newer camry not too long before that) thinking they'd mess up a winner, and when they brought out a new model, I was very wrong. They made it much better than the previous one, which I'd thought was the best at the time. I'm sure they won't risk doing anything stupid with the new Camry, they like/need that best seller, but I hope that it looks a little more angular and a little less rounded. From the spy shots, however, that doesn't appear to be the case.
It certainly isnt less rounded, but the looks is more cohesive and pleasing to the eye, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000