How do you do brakes?

Started by the Teuton, July 14, 2007, 04:10:47 PM

the Teuton

I drained a hell of a lot of fluid out the other day when I tore apart my strut.  Now, it's time to put more brake fluid in.  The line is still unattached and the screw still has the washer on it, but it is off the line connector.  I have killed a weekend stressing myself out over this car and now I want to get it done.  How do you refill the brake fluid and make sure no air is in the line?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Best article I've found on how to bleed brakes.  It's actually really easy, just be thorough, and follow the procedure exactly.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_howto_bleedbrakes.shtml
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

That's a great article.  I would just add that since you probably have no fluid in the lines, go ahead and reassemble everything, fill the brake reservoir, and then crack open each bleeder sequentially and close each as fluid begins to dribble out.  This is known as a gravity bleed and is simply to save time with the final bleed. Otherwise the steps in the article would have to be repeated a ridiculous number of times until fluid even began to come out with each cycle.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

The car is still inoperable.  I have hardly any pressure in my brake pedal, so I'm going to take more time with it tomorrow.

:frown:

Onslaught

Usually when I want to do something I buy it wine or just inflate it.
That article seems to tell you what you need.

etypeJohn

Looks like you need to pressure bleed the things.? Make sure you keep the fluid reservour full when you are bleeding the brakes.? Let it get too low and you introduce air back into the master cyl. and you have to start over again.

S204STi

John's right.  Something I use that helps me at work is a vacuum bleeder.  You can get them at some auto parts stores, or at least they should know what you're talking about; they usually either have a relatively large tank with a long pump handle, or they connect to an air source such as a compressor.  The vacuum sucks the air out, while drawing fluid into the system from the reservoir.

The only downside is the cost...sometimes over $100 for one. :confused:

southdiver1

How do you do brakes?
First, I like to start off with a bit of Barry White and a few candles.....
yeah.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on July 16, 2007, 07:40:57 AM
John's right. Something I use that helps me at work is a vacuum bleeder. You can get them at some auto parts stores, or at least they should know what you're talking about; they usually either have a relatively large tank with a long pump handle, or they connect to an air source such as a compressor. The vacuum sucks the air out, while drawing fluid into the system from the reservoir.

My hand pump version cost $80CAD.

The fact that it came with a bottle for bleeding brakes, etc.. was a bonus. I bought it to test shit on my Accord.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

etypeJohn

Quote from: R-inge on July 16, 2007, 07:40:57 AM
John's right.? Something I use that helps me at work is a vacuum bleeder.? You can get them at some auto parts stores, or at least they should know what you're talking about; they usually either have a relatively large tank with a long pump handle, or they connect to an air source such as a compressor.? The vacuum sucks the air out, while drawing fluid into the system from the reservoir.

I think Mity-Vac is a common one and generally costs about $50 US

S204STi

Cool, that's a lot better than I thought it was.

the Teuton

I'm going to be finishing them off tonight.  Now, it's time to call Auto Zone to see if I can rent one.

r0tor

speedbleeders are much cheaper and easier
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2007, 06:00:14 PM
speedbleeders are much cheaper and easier

Are those the bleeders you install in place of the OEM ones?

the Teuton

I just picked up the OEM vacuum thing which I should be using tonight or tomorrow.  In any case, it cost $53 at Auto Zone with $50 of that refundable when I return it.  Not a horribly bad deal, IMO.

JYODER240

I can bleed my brakes without removing the wheel :rockon:

BTW since I tend to drive rather spiritly, would it be a good idea to bleed mine?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 16, 2007, 10:55:43 PM

BTW since I tend to drive rather spiritly, would it be a good idea to bleed mine?

How many miles on the car?  It's probably not a bad idea.  I have my bled and new fluid put in once a year.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 16, 2007, 10:55:43 PM

Miles are meaningless to brake fluid.

Once every three years.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 16, 2007, 11:12:35 PM
Miles are meaningless to brake fluid.

Once every three years.

I'll probably wait untill next spring then since that will be almost 3 years.

the Teuton

I think I am utterly screwing up this "Teuton the mechanic" thing, but at least I've learned a hell of a lot.  I'm probably going to get back at it after I sell the old 1.8 liter engine sometime today (like noonish, hopefully).

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on July 16, 2007, 06:41:13 PM
Are those the bleeders you install in place of the OEM ones?

...yup, simple but effective little check valves built into the bleeder screw http://www.speedbleeder.com/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Since I'm an idiot when it comes to doing mechanical things, where should I take the VW to bleed the brakes?  It's not the type of thing I can get done under warranty, is it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 07:24:31 AM
Since I'm an idiot when it comes to doing mechanical things, where should I take the VW to bleed the brakes?  It's not the type of thing I can get done under warranty, is it?

No, but the dealer would do it.

Or grab a friend and do it yourself.  It's easy with two people.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10154.msg510201#msg510201 date=1184678671
Since I'm an idiot when it comes to doing mechanical things, where should I take the VW to bleed the brakes?? It's not the type of thing I can get done under warranty, is it?

It's rediculously easy with two people, but you need to the tools.

Any dealership will do it for you, and an independant shop will probably be cheaper.

etypeJohn

Call a brake shop like Brake Check and see what they would charge.

Raza

Quote from: etypeJohn on July 17, 2007, 09:11:17 AM
Call a brake shop like Brake Check and see what they would charge.

Never heard of them.  There's a local shop that's pretty good, I'll see what they can do.  Maybe I can schedule it the same time as my inspection on a Friday and I'll have to take the Box to work... :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 09:17:11 AM
Never heard of them.  There's a local shop that's pretty good, I'll see what they can do.  Maybe I can schedule it the same time as my inspection on a Friday and I'll have to take the Box to work... :lol:

Oh that's right.  If I live in PA but still have my car registered in Ohio, I assume that means I don't have to have inspections, right?

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 17, 2007, 09:29:27 AM
Oh that's right.? If I live in PA but still have my car registered in Ohio, I assume that means I don't have to have inspections, right?

I don't think you'll have to.  But be advised that you'll probably get pulled over for it if a cop doesn't notice your out of state plates. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i