Freelander Opens Its Doors

Started by BMWDave, June 23, 2005, 10:03:29 PM

BMWDave

Freelander Opens Its Doors

The Freelander's back! Auto Express revealed pictures of Land Rover's all-new entry-level SUV in issue 855, but the current issue of the mag features the best pics yet of the newcomer, including an exclusive look inside the cabin for the first time.

Clearly taking its inspiration from the recently launched Discovery 3, the Freelander has a slab-sided look similar to its big brother. Much of the styling ahead of the A-pillar appears to be carried over from the current model. But underneath the thin disguise, it's clear the car will be given a boxier rear end with larger light clusters.

Inside, our picture of the centre console is a world first, and reveals a substantially upgraded interior. The cabin will shift upmarket with higher quality materials and luxurious new equipment, while the dashboard will house the controls for a simplified version of the Discovery's Terrain Response System, which will guarantee off-road capability to match class rivals.

Surprisingly, the new Freelander will be based on the same platform as Ford's next-generation Mondeo. The increased chassis size will be reflected in the SUV's external dimensions, which will be bigger all round compared with the existing model. In an effort to move the 4x4 upmarket, Land Rover has taken the decision not to build a three-door variant. And with the demise of MG Rover, the Freelander will no longer be powered by its K-Series engine. That unit was supplied by Powertrain, a division of the failed firm. The car seen here will use brand new powerplants from Ford. Whether buyers choose either petrol or diesel versions, refinement will be significantly improved over the outgoing car.

Although bosses have yet to make an official announcement, it's thought the new Freelander will make its official debut at the British Motor Show in London next July. The 4x4 will then appear in dealerships before the end of 2006 - but buyers should expect a price hike. The rise is designed to distance the Freelander from budget rivals, such as Suzuki's latest Grand Vitara and Hyundai's forthcoming new Santa Fe.
Chris Thorp

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

TBR

What engine do you guys think this will have, the new 3.5l Duratec or the new Volvo I5?  

BMWDave

QuoteWhere are the pictures?
The pictures are only in the magazine.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteWhat engine do you guys think this will have, the new 3.5l Duratec or the new Volvo I5?
Maybe both, but the I5 I think is more compact, so it may be used.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Do you get the magazine? If so, scan it in. Afterall, this thread is useless without pictures!  

BMWDave

Do you get the magazine? If so, scan it in. Afterall, this thread is useless without pictures!
I dont get the magazine, as its a British Publication only published overseas, so I cant scan them :(

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I dont get the magazine, as its a British Publication only published overseas, so I cant scan them :(
That is unfortunate, maybe wimmer gets it...  

TBR

Now I am really pissed, Dodge has dropped their yellow too!  

ifcar

Wrong thread. ;)

Oh well, there's still the F-150, the yellow is still widely available there.

BMWDave

QuoteWrong thread. ;)

Wow, that rarely happens...TBR must be having a bad day :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteWrong thread. ;)

Oh crap, I just realized that I was the one that posted in the wrong thread, I was trying to figure out what yellow F-150s had to do with Land Rovers ;).  

BMWDave

QuoteWrong thread. ;)

Oh crap, I just realized that I was the one that posted in the wrong thread, I was trying to figure out what yellow F-150s had to do with Land Rovers ;).
Wow, thats a first too....doubly bad day for you :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000