New wheels for The Pirate

Started by The Pirate, July 16, 2007, 07:59:59 PM

The Pirate

As some of you know, I sold the Civic a few weeks back.  Roughly two weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on a new (to me) car.

Without further ado, here she is.

It's a 2001 Mazda Protege ES with 91K miles.  It's in very good shape, and runs great.  The previous owner has receipts from new struts, sway bar links, recent tires, recent brakes, etc.  It's quite a step up for me, as I'm now rocking power windows and locks, keyless entry, cruise control and a sunroof.  It's a great handling car, and a bit peppier than the Honda as well.  As some of you may remember, I seriously test drove a Protege some time ago, and made a thread about my consideration.  In the end, I didn't buy that one, but really, really liked the car.  So, I ended up finding another one.

On a recent trip to Albany, NY; the car returned 34 mpg with cruise set at 71 mph, and the A/C running.  As well, the A/C in this car is positively frigid.  All in all, I'm very happy with it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Payman

Very nice! The Protege has always been a terrific car. You done good.

Tave

ooooo, I'd love a sunroof.

Nice looking car, I always liked that model Protege. :ohyeah:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FlatBlackCaddy

Mazda makes a fantastic car, in just about any form.

Its a nice economical little sedan, and the nice thing is it doesn't punish you for wanting such a thing. In fact in some ways it rewards you(light weight, good handling, etc).

good choice, nice color and the rims make the car look sporty compared to others with smaller steelies.

that is some nice gas mileage too.

big  :ohyeah:

SVT_Power

Nice car! I was sort of looking at one as well

But you have to admit the soon-to-be-mine car > your car :evildude:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: M_power on July 16, 2007, 08:14:33 PM
Nice car! I was sort of looking at one as well

But you have to admit the soon-to-be-mine car > your car :evildude:

car in the driveway > hopes and wishes

sorry had to do it.  :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 16, 2007, 08:15:22 PM

car in the driveway > hopes and wishes

sorry had to do it.  :lol:

Deposit is with the seller and the car should be in my driveway wednesday night, registered and driven with temporary plates by thursday morning  :devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: M_power on July 16, 2007, 08:19:03 PM
Deposit is with the seller and the car should be in my driveway wednesday night, registered and driven with temporary plates by thursday morning? :devil:

congrats, i never count a car as mine until the title is signed.

not trying to bring you down, but we all know how shit turns out.

Eye of the Tiger

The 'st33m gets 36mpg  :devil: but the a/c doesn't work.  :(

Very nice Pr0teg3. I'd like one with a terbow.  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Thanks guys.

I love the sunroof, it's the first car I've owned that has one, and it's positively brilliant.
Sixteen inch wheels as well, the car definitely has a firm ride, but it's well worth it as soon as you find some twisties.  I do rather like the color as well, though that wasn't a factor in the purchase.  Buying used certainly limits your options.  :lol:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Be sure to take that Protege out to an autocrosss sometime... they always do well in stock form.

S204STi

Congratsamacations!  Nice car. :ohyeah:

dazzleman

Congratulations Adam.  The car's body appears to be in great shape, so if the mechanics are good, you've got a winner.  :rockon:

Your car is the same color as mine, so that's another reason for me to like it.  :lol:

My previous car is the first car I ever had with a sunroof.  I love it.  It's great to be able to open the roof on those nice days.  You'll definitely enjoy that.

Best of luck with it, man.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 16, 2007, 08:26:02 PM
The 'st33m gets 36mpg  :devil: but the a/c doesn't work.  :(

You broke the A/C

SVT_Power

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 16, 2007, 08:20:21 PM
congrats, i never count a car as mine until the title is signed.

not trying to bring you down, but we all know how shit turns out.

this won't turn out like that    *knock on wood*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 16, 2007, 08:37:11 PM
You broke the A/C

It was already broke, do I just decided to make it harder to fix. :P

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on July 16, 2007, 08:28:12 PM
Thanks guys.

I love the sunroof, it's the first car I've owned that has one, and it's positively brilliant.
Sixteen inch wheels as well, the car definitely has a firm ride, but it's well worth it as soon as you find some twisties.  I do rather like the color as well, though that wasn't a factor in the purchase.  Buying used certainly limits your options.  :lol:

I'd rather have a black contour but silver ain't so bad  :lol: 

I never really understood the appeal for sunroofs. We've actually never owned a car with it but we had a PT cruiser for a few days (someone lent it to us while they went away) and that had a sunroof. It's amazing for venting the car but not really useful for anything else  :huh:

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 16, 2007, 08:38:14 PM
It was already broke, do I just decided to make it harder to fix. :P

same difference  :lol:

Onslaught

Great little car. I always felt that model of Protege was one of the best cars in that class back then. Fun and well built little cars. I must have fixed about 2000 of them and can dissemble you car in about an hour!

SVT_Power

I think what turned me away from the car was how small it is (or at least looks to me)

Raghavan

Nice car! Quite a step up from the Honda I see.
You won't want to leave that unlocked in parking lots. :devil: :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on July 16, 2007, 08:28:33 PM
Be sure to take that Protege out to an autocrosss sometime... they always do well in stock form.

That's the plan, it seems like it's ready for something like that.

Quote from: dazzleman on July 16, 2007, 08:31:52 PM
Congratulations Adam.  The car's body appears to be in great shape, so if the mechanics are good, you've got a winner.  :rockon:

Your car is the same color as mine, so that's another reason for me to like it.  :lol:

My previous car is the first car I ever had with a sunroof.  I love it.  It's great to be able to open the roof on those nice days.  You'll definitely enjoy that.

Best of luck with it, man.

I'd be lying if I said the sunroof wasn't a strong factor, though the rest of the package fit well with what I was looking for too.  The body is in great shape for the year.  I'm the 3rd owner, and it's only had two winters in NY state (it was originally from northern Florida), so the underside is in good shape too.  I do like the silver as well.  The car looks good in it, and it's fairly stealthy on the highway as well.  :devil:

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2007, 08:39:53 PM
Great little car. I always felt that model of Protege was one of the best cars in that class back then. Fun and well built little cars. I must have fixed about 2000 of them and can dissemble you car in about an hour!

Good to hear!  If I have any body questions, I'll be looking your way.  I hope whatever you fixed on that many of them was fairly minor.  :lol:

Quote from: Raghavan on July 16, 2007, 08:43:04 PM
Nice car! Quite a step up from the Honda I see.
You won't want to leave that unlocked in parking lots. :devil: :lol:

It's a similar car to the Honda, just more goodies.  I do like it better on the whole, however some things on the Honda were a bit better.  I've got keyless entry now, I can lock and unlock at will!  :praise:

Vinsanity

that's a sharp little car. I agree with FBC, the rims are a very nice touch. :ohyeah:

I don't think you mentioned it, but is it a manual trans? or automatic? (to which the guys will chide you to no end :mask: )

FlatBlackCaddy

Silver is easy to keep clean too.

The Pirate

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 16, 2007, 08:50:13 PM
that's a sharp little car. I agree with FBC, the rims are a very nice touch. :ohyeah:

I don't think you mentioned it, but is it a manual trans? or automatic? (to which the guys will chide you to no end :mask: )

I can't believe I didn't mention the tranny, on a car forum no less.  :mask:

It is indeed a manual transmission.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: The Pirate on July 16, 2007, 08:52:45 PM

I can't believe I didn't mention the tranny, on a car forum no less.? :mask:

I was going to ask, but i just assumed(prayed) it was a manual.

The automatic wouldn't have been that bad, but the manual rounds out the package nicely.

Raghavan

Yeah, and no interior pics either! :nono:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on July 16, 2007, 08:52:45 PM

I can't believe I didn't mention the tranny, on a car forum no less.? :mask:

I assumed this much, otherwise it would have been necessary for me to reach through my computor screen and slap you very, very hard. Twice.

FlatBlackCaddy