Something was off

Started by cozmik, July 20, 2007, 12:05:58 AM

cozmik

So tonight I was driving home with some friends after seeing a movie, and as we stop as a red light, a previous generation Dodge Stratus with PA tags (we're in DE) blows through the red light in the turn lane, and almost t-bones an Infiniti G35. So seeing as this is pretty odd, and def not normal, once the light turns green, we catch up to it, and I hit my high beams so that we can read the plate and call 911. The driver doesn't like this and pulls to the side to let us pass, then after we do this, he turns on a set of LEDs in his visor (red and blue) and pulls up next to us at the next light, screaming and cursing, making threats, etc. He's wearing a wife beater and a bullet proof vest that simply says "state police" and nothing else. No ID of any sort. After screaming at us for turning on our high beams, he drives off. No tickets, no warning, just screaming.

We still call 911, cause he had still blown through a light (and not even with his special LED visor lights on), and had out of state tags, no identification, nothing, and the cops that meet up with us basically say thanks for telling us, have a good night, and nothing else, not, it's ok, he was a real cop, not, hmm, that's not right, nothing.

Am I the only one who finds this all odd? I mean, first off, there's no way an DE "state police" would be driving a car with PA tags. Secondly, he did nothing too us, and we had gotten to a pretty good speed to catch up with him, and he did nothing. The other officers doing nothing I'm not real surprised about (but at least we tried), but this one in the Stratus, there was definitely something up with. Anyone ever hear of anything similar before? Am I crazy in thinking something was wrong?

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Soup DeVille

That is odd.

I would think that a report of a police impostor would tick most cops right off, and I believe that's a felony almost everywhere.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

That is quite odd.  I would go ahead and call the po-po again and report it again.

the_koof

That is one of the strangest things I've ever read. Impersonating a police officer which that clearly is and nothing is done about it?
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

Raza

At first I read "mullet proof vest", conditioned by the wife beater, I assume. 

That is strange...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

How do you know they didn't do anything?

First, you have to assume he wasn't legitimately an officer (and, if the scenario was as you said, I'd kinda doubt that it was). If he was legit and involved in something, then the officers who you talked to might either have not known about it or it was one of those secret-squirrel things that they weren't going to tell the public.

Assuming it was suspicious, it was an out-of-state vehicle (which means no local address to start the investigation at), so the first course of action would have been to re-locate the car. That doesn't happen instantly. For all you know, a BOLO might have been put out and the car pulled over anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours later.

rohan

Quote from: bing_oh on July 20, 2007, 12:05:26 PM
How do you know they didn't do anything?

First, you have to assume he wasn't legitimately an officer (and, if the scenario was as you said, I'd kinda doubt that it was). If he was legit and involved in something, then the officers who you talked to might either have not known about it or it was one of those secret-squirrel things that they weren't going to tell the public.

Assuming it was suspicious, it was an out-of-state vehicle (which means no local address to start the investigation at), so the first course of action would have been to re-locate the car. That doesn't happen instantly. For all you know, a BOLO might have been put out and the car pulled over anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours later.
Or they could have jsut been using an out of state plate on an ops car- our drug interdiction teams do stuff like that here all the time.  The screaming and yelling and cursing - where was this a big city or a smaller area?-  doesn't sound right but his clothes and what he looked like don't mean a thing- think undercover?  Something about the driving sounds fishy.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cozmik

Quote from: rohan on July 22, 2007, 06:48:48 AM
Or they could have jsut been using an out of state plate on an ops car- our drug interdiction teams do stuff like that here all the time.  The screaming and yelling and cursing - where was this a big city or a smaller area?-  doesn't sound right but his clothes and what he looked like don't mean a thing- think undercover?  Something about the driving sounds fishy.

It's not big city, but I wouldn't call it a small area either. Busy suburb is the best way I can think of to describe it.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TurboDan

Around here, they've had a few problems with EMTs thinking they're cops.  They get lights in their car, and have "threatened" drivers who beeped at them or gave them the finger.  Apparently, they sometimes have "police-like" jackets and IDs since some town police departments run the EMT services in some towns. 

I once talked to an officer who told me it was beginning to get out of hand, and these guys were really abusing the lights/IDs.