***Drum Roll*** The all new all conquering Lexus LX 570!

Started by Submariner, July 22, 2007, 08:07:43 PM

Submariner

One more SUV lost to body panels nearing the ground.  Not that the LX ever needed good approach and depature angles...

Anyways, as far as Luxury SUV's go, it looks nice, but they still forgot to offer fold flat third row seats.  :rolleyes:

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

The Pirate

I hate the tail lights.  It looks good otherwise.

I'm no fan of the newer Cruiser/LX models though.  Give me a 1995 FJ80, and I'll be ecstatic.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the_koof

+1 on old Land Cruiser. I love those old off roaders.

This is hideous.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on July 22, 2007, 08:20:46 PM
I6 FTW?

Nope, the same 5.7L V8 found in the Tundra.

FJ80 was the last model to be available with the I6, at least in the U.S.  1997 was the last year for the FJ80, BTW.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Submariner

Danish

The rear looks like a Navigator

The cockpit is super busy.

I'm with Adam, the mid-90's Land Cruisers were studlicious.... you can put a blower on them!

4.5L Land Cruiser Supercharger

Maximum Horsepower Gain @ 4400 RPM    +110 Horsepower
Maximum Torque Gain  @ 3200 RPM        +160 lb.ft.
Peak Torque                                                275 stock vs. 371 S/C
Peak Horsepower                                    212 stock vs. 290 S/C

Supercharged 4.5 engine produces more torque at 2000 RPM than the
normally-aspirated engine does at its peak torque of 3200 RPM.
estimate
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

ifcar

Quote from: Submariner on July 22, 2007, 08:07:43 PM

Anyways, as far as Luxury SUV's go, it looks nice, but they still forgot to offer fold flat third row seats.  :rolleyes:

As this is essentially the same car as the 1998 version minus the engine and some styling detials, the seats will likely continue to fold like this:

I'm not sure how they would have re-engineered the seats after they decided that the rest of the 10-year-old design was good enough for the Lexus-loyal.

nickdrinkwater

Looks smart except for the back.  I'm surprised it's still based on an old design though - that's quite unlike Toyota.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 23, 2007, 04:43:52 AM
Looks smart except for the back.  I'm surprised it's still based on an old design though - that's quite unlike Toyota.

They must have decided that sales weren't high enough to justify a whole new design. But yes, I agree. Keeping it around unchanged as long as they did is also unlike Toyota.

JYODER240

I think the current one looks really good. Much better than this.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

ifcar

I agree. The only recent Lexus redesign I prefer over its predecessor is the ES350, and it's still an ES350.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

I'd take an old Landcruiser should I need to go offroading, and a new GL if I need a luxury SUV. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

etypeJohn

Quote from: Submariner on July 22, 2007, 08:07:43 PM
One more SUV lost to body panels nearing the ground.? Not that the LX ever needed good approach and depature angles...

Anyways, as far as Luxury SUV's go, it looks nice, but they still forgot to offer fold flat third row seats.? :rolleyes:

Great, another overpriced, overweight, inefficient, bloated pig of a vehicle that few if anyone needs.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2007, 10:27:11 AM
I'd take an old Landcruiser should I need to go offroading, and a new GL if I need a luxury SUV. 

Or you could get a G-500 and do both.  :lol:

Sorry, I had to troll.  :praise:

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on July 22, 2007, 08:16:08 PM
I hate the tail lights.? It looks good otherwise.

I'm no fan of the newer Cruiser/LX models though.? Give me a 1995 FJ80, and I'll be ecstatic.

G-D right! :rockon:

jayeshks

Quote from: ifcar on July 23, 2007, 04:57:28 AM
They must have decided that sales weren't high enough to justify a whole new design. But yes, I agree. Keeping it around unchanged as long as they did is also unlike Toyota.

It's based on the new Land Cruiser, which is a redesign.  The engine, body and interior are all new and the chassis has been reworked

sportyaccordy

Looks a bit Highlander-ish.

That tinted aluminum trim looks beautiful though. It will be all the rage in import communities soon, I bet.

Also, Lexus should have shoved this V8 into the LS, with some more top end. But that's another thread.

Colonel Cadillac

ifcar

Quote from: jayeshks on July 24, 2007, 05:05:47 PM
It's based on the new Land Cruiser, which is a redesign.  The engine, body and interior are all new and the chassis has been reworked

Chassis being "reworked" means it's the same. It needs more after a decade of its competitors improving in its class. And the interior isn't new, the dash is new. The rest is the same.

LX470:

LX570:

This would work as a five-year change, but smoothing over the ten-year-old design isn't enough.

jayeshks

Quote from: ifcar on August 02, 2007, 04:58:23 AM
Chassis being "reworked" means it's the same. It needs more after a decade of its competitors improving in its class. And the interior isn't new, the dash is new. The rest is the same.
This would work as a five-year change, but smoothing over the ten-year-old design isn't enough.

Dude, it's based on the official next gen Land Cruiser, the 200 series.  It's as new as the 100 series was in 1997.  The new platform is lower and wider and has the next generation air suspension.  As for the interior, third row seats in Land Cruisers have always folded up that way.  Here's a picture of a fifth gen one:

In fact, in the new one you can see that the seat mounts are redesigned and they seem to have finally got rid of those tethers.  So the dash is new, the doors are new, the seats are new, the console between the seats is new.  That's a new interior. 

ifcar

So if the platform isn't new and the last redesign didn't have any more change (which I do not think was the case), the 2008 LX570 would date to 1990.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

jayeshks

Quote from: ifcar on August 02, 2007, 10:15:49 AM
So if the platform isn't new and the last redesign didn't have any more change (which I do not think was the case), the 2008 LX570 would date to 1990.

The platform is new and the last redesign didn't have any more change.  So date it from 1990 if you want but then most redesigns wouldn't qualify as 'new' by your standards.  Even the Camry has parts that go back to the 92 model.  It's just that this particular market segment has been very atypical in the last decade with many all-new models without direct predecessors (QX, Cayenne/Touareg, unibody GL class, BMW designed Range Rover, Q7).

Panama_Chopster

Quote from: jayeshks on August 02, 2007, 09:51:52 AM

In fact, in the new one you can see that the seat mounts are redesigned and they seem to have finally got rid of those tethers. 

Noticed that as well. But this configuration for the third row gives you serious visibility issues when backing out of just about anywhere. Seriously, instead of pushing the same old design, just go with the better idea and make a fold flat third row.

The dash is gorgeous though.

ifcar

I think they redesigned the area around the seats, not the seats themselves. They fold the same way, seem to have the same creases and mountings, and still rest on the floor.

Panama_Chopster

You can leave them folded on the floor, but you'd have this huge bump in your floor then. They attach to the floor and then you unfold them.

What they did was redesign the bases of the third row so you wouldn't have to use that hook in order to hold them in place when they're folded. Better use the money making a fold flat.