GoCougs

S204STi

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

GoCougs

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2007, 12:14:19 PM
You clearly know what when I stated out-towed I was referring to towing acceleration, especially since you have the astute memory to recall that I spoke to this notion (that acceleration isn't the be-all of towing) in a thread from a week ago.

And why not the fast accelerating pickup, if it doesn't cost any more and gets as good or better mileage than the competition?

The Tundra is the most expensive half ton and doesn't get the best mileage (GM's). I see no reason to buy a Tundra over a Sierra or Silverado unless you really prefer the way it looks or you have to make the decision based entirely on spec sheets.

I know exactly what you meant when you said that the Tundra out towed the domestics which instanteously reminded me of your post in the other thread (I remembered it because it was rather uncharacteristic of you). It is also an totally inaccurate statement, hook up a 10,000 lb trailer (or whatever the Tundra's rating is) to the diesel domestics (or gas powered, I don't care) with 4.10 gears and see just how well that Tundra of yours does. The only time the Tundra out-tows the diesel domestics is when the tow rig is a pansy-ass 7400 lber.

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on August 08, 2007, 12:29:11 AM
The Tundra is the most expensive half ton and doesn't get the best mileage (GM's). I see no reason to buy a Tundra over a Sierra or Silverado unless you really prefer the way it looks or you have to make the decision based entirely on spec sheets.

I know exactly what you meant when you said that the Tundra out towed the domestics which instanteously reminded me of your post in the other thread (I remembered it because it was rather uncharacteristic of you). It is also an totally inaccurate statement, hook up a 10,000 lb trailer (or whatever the Tundra's rating is) to the diesel domestics (or gas powered, I don't care) with 4.10 gears and see just how well that Tundra of yours does. The only time the Tundra out-tows the diesel domestics is when the tow rig is a pansy-ass 7400 lber.

Your assertion sounds hollow; you call 7,400 pansy, but 10,000 lbs is the be-all and end-all?

The gasoline-powered 3/4-tons would get owned in towing acceleration. In that there is zero doubt.

The Silverado 6.6L would give the best run relative to the other 3/4-ton diesels, it is the lightest, has the most power, and has a 6sp AT.

TBR

Most certainly not, but it is all the Tundra can handle (while the 3/4 tons can tow 13000+). The domestic diesels most definitely do out tow the Tundra simply because they can tow more. Additionally, I imagine the 3/4 tons trucks are much more stable with a trailer of any significant weight.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2007, 09:33:02 AM
Your assertion sounds hollow; you call 7,400 pansy, but 10,000 lbs is the be-all and end-all?

The gasoline-powered 3/4-tons would get owned in towing acceleration. In that there is zero doubt.

The Silverado 6.6L would give the best run relative to the other 3/4-ton diesels, it is the lightest, has the most power, and has a 6sp AT.

I hate there's no way to really confirm whether your tow ratings are conservative or over reaching.  For engines you can stick them on a dyno.  What can you do for tow ratings, since they are rated by the manufacture.  You kinda just have to take their word for it.

There needs to be some test where trucks are towed to destruction, and rated that way.  Just keep adding more and more weight till something breaks.  Done by an independent agency like crash tests are. I guess it's too expensive to do, and it's not a matter of life and death like crash safety.

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on August 08, 2007, 09:40:37 AM
Most certainly not, but it is all the Tundra can handle (while the 3/4 tons can tow 13000+). The domestic diesels most definitely do out tow the Tundra simply because they can tow more. Additionally, I imagine the 3/4 tons trucks are much more stable with a trailer of any significant weight.

That's key, because tongue weight can have a huge impact on the handling of a truck.  If its suspension is not designed to deal with it you can have a dangerous handling situation.  A truck with a higher spring and damping rate and will handle it better.

GoCougs

Quote from: 565 on August 08, 2007, 06:52:11 PM
I hate there's no way to really confirm whether your tow ratings are conservative or over reaching.? For engines you can stick them on a dyno.? What can you do for tow ratings, since they are rated by the manufacture.? You kinda just have to take their word for it.

There needs to be some test where trucks are towed to destruction, and rated that way.? Just keep adding more and more weight till something breaks.? Done by an independent agency like crash tests are. I guess it's too expensive to do, and it's not a matter of life and death like crash safety.

I completely agree. It's simply amazing that it's not regulated.

GoCougs

omicron