8 (19%)
Chevrolet Corvette
12 (28.6%)
Porsche 911
22 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: August 01, 2007, 12:00:13 PM

J86

What's the point of having these polls then if there is clearly one better car?

JYODER240

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 27, 2007, 05:46:39 PM
What is the point of the 335i?? Might as well just get a 330i.? Plenty of power, and you save a considerable amount of cash.

yep
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

What is the point of the 335i?? Might as well just get a 330i.? Plenty of power, and you save a considerable amount of cash.

330? :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

What is the point of the 335i?  Might as well just get a 330i.  Plenty of power, and you save a considerable amount of cash.

We don't have a 330i
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

The 330i and 335i are distingquished by a twin turbo version of the same displacement engine, making enough power to make the previous M3 seem like a dog.  That's the point of the 335i. ;)

Raza

What is the point of the 335i?  Might as well just get a 330i.  Plenty of power, and you save a considerable amount of cash.

They killed the 330i when they introduced the 335i in the US.  They also replaced the 325i with the 328i.  If I bought a 3er the year they introduced the 3er (2006?) I'd be pissed at BMW. 

But I agree with you.  I find the 328i a much better value.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 27, 2007, 03:59:06 PM
You're on crack. :P

The 335i is the perfect blend of power, performance, handling, useability of any two door car I've ever been in.  The backseat is actually useable, the handling and performance is first rate and power is in abundance.  You might think it's a compromised car, but you'd be wrong.  It's the perfect blend.
I can and I will. :ohyeah:

So, you think it's a perfect blend.  I think it's instant coffee. 

If I wanted a fast, comfortable, usable 2 door, I'd buy a GTO, smoke a 335i, look better and save 20 grand all at the same time.  Sure, it's an unfair comparison because the GTO isn't for sale anymore, but what the hell?  When you push for power and you cost a lot of money, you're going to get compared to cheaper cars that are better values. 

For the price of the 335i you could get a Mustang GT and a used sports car.  For the price of a 335i you could get a Shelby GT500.  Are you honestly telling me that you think the 335i is a better car than the GT500?  Either of those two options are much better to me than getting a 335i, especially when you're talking about the coupe. 

If you really think I just made a decision based on brands and I didn't think out the merits of each car, you're cracked. 

And if you want to talk about a perfect blend of all things that make a car great, you're talking about a 911.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

If I had the money to buy a 335i, I would most certainly buy the GT500.  That's because I LOVE Mustangs, but the 335i is most certainly the better car and I can't believe you would say otherwise.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 28, 2007, 04:10:20 PM
If I had the money to buy a 335i, I would most certainly buy the GT500.  That's because I LOVE Mustangs, but the 335i is most certainly the better car and I can't believe you would say otherwise.

What makes it a better car?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10335.msg522651#msg522651 date=1185676683

It's not a Mustang.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Clearly, I'm not the only one who doesn't think the 335i is the best car.  It's being blown away by the Corvette and 911.  Obviously all those people are fanboys who do not know the merits of the 335.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2007, 09:54:42 PM
Clearly, I'm not the only one who doesn't think the 335i is the best car.  It's being blown away by the Corvette and 911.  Obviously all those people are fanboys who do not know the merits of the 335.

I voted for the Bimmer.  I like the 911 the best, but the Bimmer is the best all-around car in terms of a sporting demeanor, luxury, practicality, and value.  The last point can be argued in favor of the Vette, but as an overall package, the BMW wins hands down.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2007, 10:32:02 PM
I voted for the Bimmer.  I like the 911 the best, but the Bimmer is the best all-around car in terms of a sporting demeanor, luxury, practicality, and value.  The last point can be argued in favor of the Vette, but as an overall package, the BMW wins hands down.

You're in the minority here.  Yes, the BMW is a decent balance.  But does that make it the best car?  No.  It makes it a balanced car.  A practical car.  But it's nowhere near the level of a 911 or a Corvette.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2007, 10:36:42 PM
You're in the minority here.  Yes, the BMW is a decent balance.  But does that make it the best car?  No.  It makes it a balanced car.  A practical car.  But it's nowhere near the level of a 911 or a Corvette.

It's as quick as a C5 Vette, has a back seat, and is half the price of the Porsche. 

From Dictionary.com:

best      /bɛst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[best] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective, superl. of good with better as compar.
1.   of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: the best work; the best students.
2.   most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.
3.   largest; most: the best part of a day.
?adverb, superl. of well with better as compar.
4.   most excellently or suitably; with most advantage or success: an opera role that best suits her voice.
5.   in or to the highest degree; most fully (usually used in combination): best-suited; best-known; best-loved.

It may not be the most desirable by a long shot, but it is the most advantageous.  Therefore, IMO, it's the best.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10335.msg522651#msg522651 date=1185676683
If you don't think a 335i is a better car then a Mustang, then you just proved you don't like the 335i based solely on those three little letters B...M...W. 

Soup DeVille

I thought the category was "best car," nto "fastest car."

The Vette and the 911 are awesome, but the BMW is the one that I can see fulfilling the other, less sexy car duties best.

Plus, it still kicks ass.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TBR

I'd imagine that, money aside, the 911 is on a comparable level of practicality (trunk space and rear seat space) with my Prelude which has never let me down in either (forgetting the  flattened box incident of course...).

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on July 29, 2007, 09:41:47 PM
I'd imagine that, money aside, the 911 is on a comparable level of practicality (trunk space and rear seat space) with my Prelude which has never let me down in either (forgetting the? flattened box incident of course...).
Try having anyone taller then a 2 year old sit in the backseat of a 911.  The 335i held me (6'1") in the backseat with no problem at all.  Head space was fairly tight but my knees were barely grazing the back of the driver's seat and the driver is 5'10" and didn't move the seat forward for me.

TBR

I don't carry many people in the backseat, on the rare occassion that I do they don't mind cramming. I would rather have a better driving car than comfortable friends. ;)

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on July 29, 2007, 10:15:21 PM
I don't carry many people in the backseat, on the rare occassion that I do they don't mind cramming. I would rather have a better driving car than comfortable friends. ;)
I was countering your argument that the backseat of the 911 is probably alright for carrying the odd passenger.  I would counter that by saying it's good for a briefcase and that's about it. :ohyeah:

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2007, 11:04:13 PM
It's as quick as a C5 Vette, has a back seat, and is half the price of the Porsche.?

From Dictionary.com:

best? ? ? /bɛst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[best] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?adjective, superl. of good with better as compar.
1.   of the highest quality, excellence, or standing: the best work; the best students.
2.   most advantageous, suitable, or desirable: the best way.
3.   largest; most: the best part of a day.
?adverb, superl. of well with better as compar.
4.   most excellently or suitably; with most advantage or success: an opera role that best suits her voice.
5.   in or to the highest degree; most fully (usually used in combination): best-suited; best-known; best-loved.

It may not be the most desirable by a long shot, but it is the most advantageous.? Therefore, IMO, it's the best.

Calling it the most advantageous is ridiculous.  It has a little more back seat space than a 911.  That's its only advantage, price notwithstanding. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 29, 2007, 10:12:02 PM
Try having anyone taller then a 2 year old sit in the backseat of a 911.? The 335i held me (6'1") in the backseat with no problem at all.? Head space was fairly tight but my knees were barely grazing the back of the driver's seat and the driver is 5'10" and didn't move the seat forward for me.

:confused:

I've been in the backseat of a 911.  Granted, it was a 996, but I can't imagine the 997 being tighter.  It's not so bad. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 29, 2007, 08:24:03 PM
If you don't think a 335i is a better car then a Mustang, then you just proved you don't like the 335i based solely on those three little letters B...M...W.?

335i vs. GT500.

The 335i has 300bhp.  The GT500 has 500.
The 335i is a 2+2.  The GT500 is a 2+2.
Both cars have leather and all the sort of premium options you can get in a premium branded car.
The GT500 is faster in a straight line and around a track, as I recall. 

They're comparable in price, seating, and most likely practicality.  What makes the 335i better?  Is it three little letters....?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10335.msg524112#msg524112 date=1185799063
335i vs. GT500.

The 335i has 300bhp.? The GT500 has 500.
The 335i is a 2+2.? The GT500 is a 2+2.
Both cars have leather and all the sort of premium options you can get in a premium branded car.
The GT500 is faster in a straight line and around a track, as I recall.?

They're comparable in price, seating, and most likely practicality.? What makes the 335i better?? Is it three little letters....?

335i
- weighs 400 lbs less
- better handling
- better body control
- better steering feel
- IRS
- better weight distribution
- 60-0 in 117 ft. (16 ft. less)
- way bigger and more comfortable back seat
- more comfortable front seats
- NAV
- exponentially better interior materials
- iDrive (since most of it is voice activated I actually kinda like it)
- feels expensive

GT500
- 500 bhp
- 480 lbs-ft of TQ
- 0-60 in 4.5 seconds
- 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds
- louder exhaust
- ?

Would I buy a 335i over a GT500?  Hell no.  But that's strictly because I'm a muscle car kinda guy.  A BMW doesn't suit my tastes or personality.  The GT500 does.  Having said that I can also seperate my personal likes and dislikes from my opinion of what is actually the better car.  The GT500 is a good muscle car, but it is in no way as good a car as the 335i.

Raza

Either way, it's certainly not a better car than a 911 or a Corvette.

Obviously, most of the people here agree with me.

Although, if you want to continue to look like an idiotic douchebag, you can keep saying that I'm a fanboy, even though the 911 (and the Corvette) is clearly a better car, and clearly, my opinion is shared by the majority of the voters.  And even though I justified my opinion (when 18 other people shared that the 911 is the top, and then a further 11 found the Corvette to be better than the 335i) when I didn't have to, I clearly showed that I did not vote against the 335 because it was a BMW, but because it was the inferior car, and not the car I would buy in this field.

Does the 911 cost more?  Yes.  Is it worth more?  Yes.  Am I tired of fucking arguing with you because you want to paint me as a troll?  Yes.

So fuck off. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10335.msg524281#msg524281 date=1185810882
Either way, it's certainly not a better car than a 911 or a Corvette.

Obviously, most of the people here agree with me.

Although, if you want to continue to look like an idiotic douchebag, you can keep saying that I'm a fanboy, even though the 911 (and the Corvette) is clearly a better car, and clearly, my opinion is shared by the majority of the voters.? And even though I justified my opinion (when 18 other people shared that the 911 is the top, and then a further 11 found the Corvette to be better than the 335i) when I didn't have to, I clearly showed that I did not vote against the 335 because it was a BMW, but because it was the inferior car, and not the car I would buy in this field.

Does the 911 cost more?? Yes.? Is it worth more?? Yes.? Am I tired of fucking arguing with you because you want to paint me as a troll?? Yes.

So fuck off.?
I'm sensing some hostility. :lol:

I'm not questioning the results of this poll because the reason for the poll is decide these things.  It doesn't mean no one can question others as to why they voted the way they did.  Porsche is the end all and be all for you and you have never made it a secret that you hate BMW.  I simply questioned your motives for voting the way you did and you're acting just like supporters of Man-made Global Warming.  "How dare you question me" is their attitude too.  Consensus doesn't make something "right" by the way.

BTW, calm down.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 29, 2007, 10:41:56 PM
I was countering your argument that the backseat of the 911 is probably alright for carrying the odd passenger.  I would counter that by saying it's good for a briefcase and that's about it. :ohyeah:

Have you seen a Prelude's back seat? The only way to get anyone with legs in is to have the front people cram themselves against the dashboard (which is why I have never carried more than two passengars, so that I don't get knocked out of my driving position).

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on July 30, 2007, 10:22:55 AM
Have you seen a Prelude's back seat? The only way to get anyone with legs in is to have the front people cram themselves against the dashboard (which is why I have never carried more than two passengars, so that I don't get knocked out of my driving position).
Ok.  Sounds just like the backseat of a Mustang.  The 335i's backseat handled me with no trouble behind the driver without him moving the seat forward.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 30, 2007, 10:09:09 AM
I'm sensing some hostility. :lol:

I'm not questioning the results of this poll because the reason for the poll is decide these things.? It doesn't mean no one can question others as to why they voted the way they did.? Porsche is the end all and be all for you and you have never made it a secret that you hate BMW.? I simply questioned your motives for voting the way you did and you're acting just like supporters of Man-made Global Warming.? "How dare you question me" is their attitude too.? Consensus doesn't make something "right" by the way.

BTW, calm down.

I'm just tired of being the one who always has to defend my position. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i