Flashing High Beams for Speed Trap Warnings

Started by TurboDan, July 29, 2007, 11:34:50 AM

TurboDan

Yesterday, I was on a local road with a speed limit that is far too low.  I saw a marked car hiding behind a bush in a town parking lot clocking cars that were driving by.  I was OK, since I had just turned onto the street and hadn't gotten up to speed yet, but my fellow drivers would be easy victims to the trap.  Once again, this is a road with a terribly artificial speed limit in a town whose officers are well known for being quite merciless. 

As I passed several other cars in the upcoming stretch of roadway before I turned off the road, I flicked my high-beams on and off, in hopes of warning them of the trap ahead.  It was during the day.  I don't see alot of this anymore, and I'm not sure why.  I don't even know if many people would even know what my "signal" meant.  Is it just this area, or is this a practice that has gone to the wayside in most areas?

J86

IrishGuy

Quote from: TurboDan on July 29, 2007, 11:34:50 AM
Yesterday, I was on a local road with a speed limit that is far too low.  I saw a marked car hiding behind a bush in a town parking lot clocking cars that were driving by.  I was OK, since I had just turned onto the street and hadn't gotten up to speed yet, but my fellow drivers would be easy victims to the trap.  Once again, this is a road with a terribly artificial speed limit in a town whose officers are well known for being quite merciless. 

As I passed several other cars in the upcoming stretch of roadway before I turned off the road, I flicked my high-beams on and off, in hopes of warning them of the trap ahead.  It was during the day.  I don't see alot of this anymore, and I'm not sure why.  I don't even know if many people would even know what my "signal" meant.  Is it just this area, or is this a practice that has gone to the wayside in most areas?

My thought is this: I would hate to think that I warned someone who's guilty of some criminal action (not necessarily speeding) that the police are ahead.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Eye of the Tiger

I almost never see this anymore. When I do get flashed, I figure there's a 50/50 chance there's either a speed trap ahead, I'm dragging a dead body under my car.
I'll flash if I can clearly see there is a speed trap, but usually I'm afraid to flash people because there is always that chance that they will take it as a personal insult and try to attack me. It's happened before.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TurboDan

Quote from: IrishGuy on July 29, 2007, 11:39:53 AM
My thought is this: I would hate to think that I warned someone who's guilty of some criminal action (not necessarily speeding) that the police are ahead.

Eh, there's no crime anywhere near where I live.  And if there is a criminal wandering down the road, it'll catch up with him eventually.

CJ

One reason people don't do this, at least in Texas, is because it isn't legal. 

TurboDan

Quote from: CJ on July 29, 2007, 12:05:43 PM

Eh, this was a two-lane road in a small town.  There weren't any other cops ahead.  You could see for a mile if there were anyway.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

L. ed foote

It isn't legal here either (improper use of high beams), but that never stopped people from doing it.  I think because flashing high beams is often linked to "road rage" or "agressive drivng" you don't see many people doing it anymore.
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

I've heard that flashing lights to warn oncoming drivers of police presence is illegal in Connecticut -- something like "interfering with government administration."  I know of somebody who supposedly got a ticket for it.

This was a big practice when I first started driving.  My driver's ed teacher even told me about it.  It involved flashing lights, not necessarily high beams.  Back then, on most cars, the high-beams didn't work unless the low-beams were already on, so during the day, if you wanted to warn oncoming drivers about speed enforcement, you just turned your headlights on and off.

You're right Dan in noticing that it seems to have fallen into disuse.  I still see it occasionally, and did it myself a couple of weeks ago when I saw a speedtrap in the other direction.  Still, I don't do it very much at this point, even if I pass a speedtrap.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

I'll flick my lights if there's a potentially dangerous situation ahead, like a car stopped on the road just around a blind turn, but not for a speed trap. I mostly see speed traps on the interstate anyway.

footoflead

Is it really now??  Never heard of it being illegal, plenty of people have flashed.  But most are too stupid and lazy to warn others. :rolleyes:

There is some stupid rumor going around about cars driving around with their brights on or no lights at all and waiting for people to flash them and then they follow them home and shoot them as part of a gang initiation.  But i have heard no proof of this other than word of mouth, and we all know this is always 100% true. :rolleyes:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

Quote from: ifcar on July 29, 2007, 03:41:39 PM
I'll flick my lights if there's a potentially dangerous situation ahead, like a car stopped on the road just around a blind turn, but not for a speed trap. I mostly see speed traps on the interstate anyway.
I did that just the other day...truck lost sight of the road and stuck the first half stuck in the ditch on a unlit road.  So i flashed a few people to let them know there was something ahead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Eye of the Tiger

One reason people don't do this, at least in Texas, is because it isn't legal.?

I'd like to know if anyone has ever been ticketed for flashing their high beams a few times.

Eye of the Tiger

I also flashy my lights if there is a deer in the middle of the road, but I never know if people understand what I'm doing.  :huh:

footoflead

Quote from: NACar on July 29, 2007, 03:44:24 PM
I'd like to know if anyone has ever been ticketed for flashing their high beams a few times.
As would I.  How would they enforce this? ;)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

Quote from: footoflead on July 29, 2007, 03:42:38 PM
Is it really now??  Never heard of it being illegal, plenty of people have flashed.  But most are too stupid and lazy to warn others. :rolleyes:

There is some stupid rumor going around about cars driving around with their brights on or no lights at all and waiting for people to flash them and then they follow them home and shoot them as part of a gang initiation.  But i have heard no proof of this other than word of mouth, and we all know this is always 100% true. :rolleyes:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp

footoflead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tave

Usually when people do it for me it takes me awhile to realize what's going on. I think:

"What the hell is his problem, I don't have my lights on? Does someone in front of me have them on? Someone behind? I can't see. What the hell could he be talking about? Is he just nuts? Maybe there's an accident.........................

"Oh, maybe there's a trooper clocking --"

-- and then I see the cop.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

I actually had someone flash their brights at me today warning of a state trooper sitting on the road. But, I don't think he was clocking people as he was on the shoulder with parking lights on early. In fact, I would tend to think that there wasn't even a person in the car. Additionally, it was probably half a mile before the speed limit went down, not a logical place.

bing_oh

Quote from: NACar on July 29, 2007, 03:44:24 PM

Why, YES, I have ticketed somebody for flashing their high-beams at me! :evildude: Some rocket scientist flashed their brights to warn me of another officer who was running a little radar. Apparently, he didn't notice the reflective "POLICE" on the car and the lightbar on top (not to mention I didn't need the warning...I knew exactly where those sneaky cops were  :lol: ). He got a ticket for Failure to Dim. I suppose I could have been really nasty and arrested him for Obstructing Official Business, but I wasn't feeling quite that mean that night.

Eye of the Tiger

Raza

It doesn't seem to happen very often, you're right.  Whenever I do it, maybe one car in 10 sees it, realizes what it means, and then either flashes back or waves, and then slows down.  I think it should be a very common practice.  There's no seems to be very little camaraderie left on the roads nowadays. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

I think that's generally a good thing to do.  However, if you save the group of cars you are passing from a ticket, then the cop will just get someone from the next group.  So it's not really preventing any tickets, it's just postponing the ticket and giving it to someone else.  That brings up the question:  should we only flash our lights at crappy cars, with the thinking that the driver is more likely poor and will be hurt more by the ticket?  Nothing against rich folks, and of course gauging a persons financial worth by the car they drive isn't very accurate, but I would rather see a rich person get a ticket if someone has to get it.  Also, this is assuming that the only "crime" being commited is minor/safe speeding.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10389.msg524107#msg524107 date=1185796936
There's no seems to be very little camaraderie left on the roads nowadays.?

I blame it on the SUV's.

etypeJohn

Quote from: footoflead on July 29, 2007, 03:42:38 PM
Is it really now??? Never heard of it being illegal, plenty of people have flashed.? But most are too stupid and lazy to warn others. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's illegal.  Considered the same as you going down the road a couple of miles before a speed trap and standing on the side of the road with a big sign that says,  "Traffic radar ahead, slow down."  Cops don't like that, despite the fact you are actually causing people to obey the speed limit, at least for the next couple of miles.    ;)

etypeJohn

Quote from: bing_oh on July 29, 2007, 11:22:08 PM
I suppose I could have been really nasty and arrested him for Obstructing Official Business, but I wasn't feeling quite that mean that night.

Don't you mean impeding local jurisdiction revenue enhancement?   :lol:

ChrisV

Quote from: etypeJohn on July 30, 2007, 08:56:46 AM
Don't you mean impeding local jurisdiction revenue enhancement?   :lol:

And that's the thing. If speed traps were about slowing people down, then ANYTHING that got people to slow down would be ok. The fact that it's illegal means they don't want to slow you down (or let you slow others down), they want to make money off of people. And as you say, it impedes them making money if you actually tell/remind people to slow down.

Any wonder why some of us say it's all about the money and not about safety? If it WAS about safety it wouldn't matter HOW that safe driving came about. Whether it was you flashing your lights or them seeing an officer beside the road.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: etypeJohn on July 30, 2007, 08:56:46 AM
Don't you mean impeding local jurisdiction revenue enhancement?? ?:lol:

That's exactly what it is.  It should be no more illegal than driving the speed limit. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Quote from: ChrisV on July 30, 2007, 09:35:30 AM
And that's the thing. If speed traps were about slowing people down, then ANYTHING that got people to slow down would be ok. The fact that it's illegal means they don't want to slow you down (or let you slow others down), they want to make money off of people. And as you say, it impedes them making money if you actually tell/remind people to slow down.

Any wonder why some of us say it's all about the money and not about safety? If it WAS about safety it wouldn't matter HOW that safe driving came about. Whether it was you flashing your lights or them seeing an officer beside the road.

I'll just get this out of the way right off the bat. I could really care less how much money the city or the local courts make off of each citation I write. It's not as if I get a bonus check for each ticket, so I'm not padding my paycheck or anything. In my area, the court gets the vast majority of the fines, and the rest (as little as it is) goes to the state and into the city's general fund, so my department doesn't directly benefit from the fines either. In the end, even if I write 1000 tickets a month, it would neither put me in a new vehicle in my driveway at home nor would it get me a new cruiser to drive at work. Compaired to the amount of the department's budget that just comes from taxes, the cash we get from fines is laughably paltry.

Speed enforcement and the fines related to getting a ticket are intended to change driving behavior. Punishment is one way to do that. We all know that the warnings we're talking about don't change behavior any longer than till that cruiser has disappeared from the rearview mirror, so saying that they accomplish the same thing is just rationalization.