Audi Clutches

Started by cawimmer430, June 25, 2005, 03:15:15 AM

cawimmer430

On the used car lot of the local Benz dealership, I had to move a bunch of cars into new positions. Among them were two Audi's: an older A3 1.9 TDI and a last generation A4 Avant 1.8, both 5-speed manuals.

Well, I moved the A3 first. Depress the clutch, put in 1st gear and do the usual...but in this case...nothing happened when I released the clutch halfway. The car didn't move. Weird I thought... so I apply more gas but still nothing. Then I release the clutch a bit further to an almost 3/4 through position...and THEN the car moves!

Same deal with the Audi A4 1.8 Avant. I stalled the engine twice because the clutch was so sensitive, and IMO, takes a lot to get used to. I've never driven any M/T this sensitive before. Both clutches were extremely light and sensitive. You had to release them up to an extreme 3/4th through position before the car would move.

Was it me? The car? Or are Audi clutches just very sensitive and light? I've driven VW manuals and their clutches felt more heavy and easier to control IMO.

Thanks for the input.  :)  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tom

The first manual I've ever driven was a 2000ish TT.  I had a lot of trouble operating the clutch for the same reason you mentioned.  Bad car to learn on.

saxonyron

My A6 actually has a "high effort" clutch.  Very linear engagement, and an average throw, but after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes, it gets pretty tiring.  My sister in law's '01 Jetta has the most linear and light clutch I've ever driven.  I think it's almost physically impossible to stall it.  Never driven an A4 manual, but I've driven 5 or 6 other Audis over the years - they all seem to have longish throws and slightly high effort.  So my experience is exactly opposite! - heavy Audi's and light VW's.  

Honestly, Christian, after spending 40 minutes in Boston traffic yesterday to go about 2 miles, I was thinking lustful thoughts about automatics! :D   But those thoughts were soon erased when the road opened up again!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

cawimmer430

QuoteMy A6 actually has a "high effort" clutch.  Very linear engagement, and an average throw, but after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes, it gets pretty tiring.  My sister in law's '01 Jetta has the most linear and light clutch I've ever driven.  I think it's almost physically impossible to stall it.  Never driven an A4 manual, but I've driven 5 or 6 other Audis over the years - they all seem to have longish throws and slightly high effort.  So my experience is exactly opposite! - heavy Audi's and light VW's.  

Honestly, Christian, after spending 40 minutes in Boston traffic yesterday to go about 2 miles, I was thinking lustful thoughts about automatics! :D   But those thoughts were soon erased when the road opened up again!
It's not my fault if your left leg will develop some sort of medical condition.  :lol:

Honestly, I have nothing against manuals, but in a Mercedes, I just don't think they have a place. Especially in E-Classes and above. C-Class and SLK are fine.  ;)  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

I drove two Audi clutches--both TTs.  The first one was when I just started driving stick, and I had a lot of trouble with it.  But the second one, I find was easy to drive.  I'd gotten better, and the clutch release was fine.  Actually, the easiest stick to drive, I think.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteMy A6 actually has a "high effort" clutch.  Very linear engagement, and an average throw, but after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes, it gets pretty tiring.  My sister in law's '01 Jetta has the most linear and light clutch I've ever driven.  I think it's almost physically impossible to stall it.  Never driven an A4 manual, but I've driven 5 or 6 other Audis over the years - they all seem to have longish throws and slightly high effort.  So my experience is exactly opposite! - heavy Audi's and light VW's. 

Honestly, Christian, after spending 40 minutes in Boston traffic yesterday to go about 2 miles, I was thinking lustful thoughts about automatics! :D   But those thoughts were soon erased when the road opened up again!
It's not my fault if your left leg will develop some sort of medical condition.  :lol:

Honestly, I have nothing against manuals, but in a Mercedes, I just don't think they have a place. Especially in E-Classes and above. C-Class and SLK are fine.  ;)
:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I still want an E350 6 speed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

QuoteMy A6 actually has a "high effort" clutch.? Very linear engagement, and an average throw, but after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes, it gets pretty tiring.? My sister in law's '01 Jetta has the most linear and light clutch I've ever driven.? I think it's almost physically impossible to stall it.? Never driven an A4 manual, but I've driven 5 or 6 other Audis over the years - they all seem to have longish throws and slightly high effort.? So my experience is exactly opposite! - heavy Audi's and light VW's.?

Honestly, Christian, after spending 40 minutes in Boston traffic yesterday to go about 2 miles, I was thinking lustful thoughts about automatics! :D?  But those thoughts were soon erased when the road opened up again!

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I still want an E350 6 speed.
You can probably get a 6-speed on the new E280, which will have better performance than the recently canned E320.  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

Except we probably won't be getting the E280.  

Raza

QuoteExcept we probably won't be getting the E280.
And even then, it's no 350.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i