Mazda6 GT Wagon vs. Magnum RT

Started by SVT666, August 01, 2007, 02:49:17 PM

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 04:02:35 PM
Aftermarket springs and sways on the Magnum? :huh:
Definitely a thought.  Whichever car I get, it will get some mods to make it perform the way I want it to.

GoCougs

If you're looking at the Mazda, then the Subaru Outback XT should at be on your list IMO. At least in the US, its MSRP slots in just below the Magnum RT, will have equal the acceleration (with the 5MT), superior handling, and AWD.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 01, 2007, 04:14:27 PM
If you're looking at the Mazda, then the Subaru Outback XT should at be on your list IMO. At least in the US, its MSRP slots in just below the Magnum RT, will have equal the acceleration (with the 5MT), superior handling, and AWD.
I don't want AWD and I don't like the look of the Outback at all.? Only two wagons besides the M5 wagon get my heart pumping.? The two that I drove.  When I buy one, it will be either of these two...that's it.

SVT666

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 01, 2007, 04:04:36 PM
Definitely a thought.? Whichever car I get, it will get some mods to make it perform the way I want it to.
I know Mazdaspeed makes a light weight flywheel, better clutch, suspension packages with springs and sway bars and an intake for the 6.Only problem is that MS parts cost you out the ass sometimes.  I feel sure that others make some stuff because I remember seeing an article in a Mazda Magazine about a special light weight battery made just for the 6 and some other stuff. If they make little things like that then they must make more. I think the 6 has a few good fan sites on the web that would probably have all the stuff you could find on them.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 01, 2007, 03:47:31 PM
Does anyone know what the Mazda aftermarket is like?? Is there anything short of a turbo kit that will increase the power of the Mazda?

It's got basically a Duratec V6 under the hood, so I imagine there might be something out there, from superchargers to turbo kits.? I wonder if Jackson Racing makes something for it...

Edit, no they only have ones for the smaller Miata engines so far.  But a google search for "Duratec Supercharger" shows up one result.

http://www.3lduratec.com/supercharger.html

FlatBlackCaddy

Can i ask what your price range is, not that there is much more in the class but i'm just curious.

As for the two you have here i would take the mazda hands down. To me the dodge has nothing over the mazda, sure it has a hemi, but in a larger heavier car with a slushie i'm sure i wouldn't find it much better than the mazda.

You noticed all the big differences, mazda dealers(in my experience) are nice, the car is build well, trimmed well, and drives fantastic. Frankly the only other wagons that will exceed it are the germans and maybe a legacy wagon(did you look at those, turbo/AWD manual, sexy wagon).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 01, 2007, 05:52:56 PM
Mazda6 interior:

That was basically my speed6 interior minus the nav. I don't know why reviewers picked the interior apart, i thought it was very very nice for a mainstream car. i liked the dark piano finish(or whatever they called it).  The knobs were fantastic, nice seats, awesome gauges, etc.

Atomic

Quote from: Galaxy on August 01, 2007, 02:54:48 PM
Just curious, if you could get the 300c wagon? in Canada would you prefer that over the? Magnum?

great question! me? wow! what a toss up. the 300c touring has a much more elegant look and fancier interior. i think i would take a touring wagon by chrysler over the dodge magnum r/t hemi v8, except in srt-8 form. the 2008 dodge has far more (drastic) exterior and interior trim changes, including awesome hood scoops. the chrysler? there are some improved exterior cues, but the main attraction is an upgraded interior.

want a classic, elegant look? the 300c touring is for you!

want a bad ass boy-racer wagon? dodge has the car for you! if money is no object, opt for the ultimate srt-8 w/ a 6.0 liter v8, soon to be featured on the highly anticiped '08 or '09 dodge challeger coupe and rumored ragtop expected for the '09 or '10 model year.

choice is great!

CJ

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on August 01, 2007, 08:12:15 PM
I know Mazdaspeed makes a light weight flywheel, better clutch, suspension packages with springs and sway bars and an intake for the 6.Only problem is that MS parts cost you out the ass sometimes.? I feel sure that others make some stuff because I remember seeing an article in a Mazda Magazine about a special light weight battery made just for the 6 and some other stuff. If they make little things like that then they must make more. I think the 6 has a few good fan sites on the web that would probably have all the stuff you could find on them.
The Mazdaspeed stuff actually isn't priced all that badly.? Pretty much in-line with what I was paying for Ford Racing stuff for my Mustang.? The shifter through Mazdaspeed is $200 and the shifter I bought for my last Mustang was $200.? Suspension seems to be about perfect for a sporty family wagon, and I don't think I would really want to make it any stiffer.? I just feel another 30-50 hp would be welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: R-inge on August 01, 2007, 08:25:20 PM
It's got basically a Duratec V6 under the hood, so I imagine there might be something out there, from superchargers to turbo kits.? I wonder if Jackson Racing makes something for it...

Edit, no they only have ones for the smaller Miata engines so far.? But a google search for "Duratec Supercharger" shows up one result.

http://www.3lduratec.com/supercharger.html
Yeah, thanks but I don't want forced induction.? It's pretty expensive and I don't want to bump the power up so much that torque steer becomes an issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2007, 08:53:03 PM
Can i ask what your price range is, not that there is much more in the class but i'm just curious.
My price is a max of $22,000.? Keep in mind that's CDN prices and for a used 2005 model.

QuoteAs for the two you have here i would take the mazda hands down. To me the dodge has nothing over the mazda, sure it has a hemi, but in a larger heavier car with a slushie i'm sure i wouldn't find it much better than the mazda.
The difference in acceleration is huge.? The Magnum just roared to 110 km/h and threw your head back.? The Mazda was quick, but had nothing on the Magnum.? The official numbers from the manufacturers put the Magnum a full second ahead to 60 mph and I believe it.? The Magnum also has the most comfortable and roomy backseat I have ever seen.

QuoteYou noticed all the big differences, mazda dealers(in my experience) are nice, the car is build well, trimmed well, and drives fantastic. Frankly the only other wagons that will exceed it are the germans and maybe a legacy wagon(did you look at those, turbo/AWD manual, sexy wagon).
Thanks, but I don't want a Subaru.

FIU Panther

Get the Magnum and be done with it. Then you can play with the Hemi, change the exhaust, and relish the sweet V8 sound.
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

SVT666

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 02, 2007, 10:18:38 AM
Get the Magnum and be done with it. Then you can play with the Hemi, change the exhaust, and relish the sweet V8 sound.
Believe me, that's tugging at me too.  I can't get enough of that V8 sound.  I also have the exhaust system picked out already if that's the way I go.  On the other hand I've been reading on some Dodge Forums that guys are not getting anywhere near the EPA certified 25 MPG.  Most are getting about 22 MPG on the highway which kinda sucks.  90% of my driving is highway.  However, I'm also seeing that Mazda6 drivers (with manuals) are hitting or exceeding the EPA ratings.

Raghavan

Hemi, what about a Forester XT?
They looks awesome, and do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. :rockon:
I know you don't want AWD but IMO that's worth looking at.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raghavan on August 02, 2007, 10:51:54 AM
Hemi, what about a Forester XT?
They looks awesome, and do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. :rockon:
I know you don't want AWD but IMO that's worth looking at.

Forester is cramped inside  :nono:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raghavan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raghavan on August 02, 2007, 10:53:23 AM
Forester has a turb0.

So does Impreza? :devil:

Plus Foresters are for lesbians  :P

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Or he can get the 6 with a stick, turbocharge it, throw on a huge rear sway bar, and go to town. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10444.msg527634#msg527634 date=1186074121
Or he can get the 6 with a stick, turbocharge it, throw on a huge rear sway bar, and go to town.?

Or he can get a 'st33m wagon with a stick, put nitrous on it, throw a couple of kegs in the back, and go to town.

etypeJohn

But the magnum is so......................IMHO

Raza

Quote from: NACar on August 02, 2007, 11:03:09 AM
Or he can get a 'st33m wagon with a stick, put nitrous on it, throw a couple of kegs in the back, and go to town.

If you've got the kegs, why bother going anywhere?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10444.msg527725#msg527725 date=1186078007
If you've got the kegs, why bother going anywhere?

You have to go to town to pick up the hookers. :rolleyes:

omicron

For God's sake, man. Buy the V8, make it roar, and stop bothering me with this sensible Japanese wagon nonsense. 

Raghavan

Quote from: omicron on August 02, 2007, 12:10:10 PM
For God's sake, man. Buy the V8, make it roar, and stop bothering me with this sensible Japanese wagon nonsense. 
NO! Magnum doesn't come with a stick. :nono:

S204STi

Quote from: Raghavan on August 02, 2007, 12:18:12 PM
NO! Magnum doesn't come with a stick. :nono:

You must sometimes choose between the lesser of two evils.  In this case, an automatic attached to a powerful V8 is the lesser evil.

omicron

There is nothing remotely bad about an automatic Hemi V8.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on August 02, 2007, 12:40:31 PM
There is nothing remotely bad about an automatic Hemi V8.
It was totally two different types of fun.  One was tire melting torque and having your head pressed against the headrest and anyone who knows me will tell you that I love that.  But the 6 had decent power with the fun of a stick.  I love the stick.  As soon as I started driving it I realized that I really missed rowing my own gears.

It's still a toss-up.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 01, 2007, 03:47:31 PM
Does anyone know what the Mazda aftermarket is like?  Is there anything short of a turbo kit that will increase the power of the Mazda?

http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/index.php?cPath=281_24_33

It's nothing like the Mustang aftermarket, but it's not like the Suzuki Esteem aftermarket, either.  :devil:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on August 02, 2007, 11:25:18 PM
http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/index.php?cPath=281_24_33

It's nothing like the Mustang aftermarket, but it's not like the Suzuki Esteem aftermarket, either.? :devil:

There's an Esteem aftermarket?  :confused:   :lol: