What will follow the Ranger?

Started by SaltyDog, August 02, 2007, 06:52:46 PM

SaltyDog

2008 is the Ranger's last year, as Ford is closing the last Ranger plant in Minnesota.  From what I understand, there are no plans for a replacement.  The Sport Trac is on its way out too.  Why are they leaving the compact truck market empty, and will anything ever fill it?

:huh:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 02, 2007, 06:52:46 PM
2008 is the Ranger's last year, as Ford is closing the last Ranger plant in Minnesota.  From what I understand, there are no plans for a replacement.  The Sport Trac is on its way out too.  Why are they leaving the compact truck market empty, and will anything ever fill it?

Link for either statement? I find both hard to believe.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 02, 2007, 06:52:46 PM
2008 is the Ranger's last year, as Ford is closing the last Ranger plant in Minnesota.? From what I understand, there are no plans for a replacement.? The Sport Trac is on its way out too.? Why are they leaving the compact truck market empty, and will anything ever fill it?

Yes, the Tacoma.

I don't know if its a good or bad move for Ford, but consolidating their line-up isn't an unexpected move for a company in their situation.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Why would they stop the Ranger?  :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Future_Cars/Ford.S283.A8367.html

We've been waiting and waiting and waiting, and time after time the scheduled remake of the Ford Ranger has been put on hold - and this is no exception. Although there are yards of vinyl covering crucial styling details, the model year 2006 only brings a facelift and freshening to the aging Ranger. An all-new Ranger, codenamed P273, is now expected to arrive around 2010

the Teuton

I hope the Ranger remains a compact truck.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on August 02, 2007, 07:01:29 PM
I hope the Ranger remains a compact truck.

Although it's not likely, I hope so too. Right now, it's the only truck that's still about the same size it was in the 80's... not such a bad thing.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on August 02, 2007, 07:03:30 PM
Although it's not likely, I hope so too. Right now, it's the only truck that's still about the same size it was in the 80's... not such a bad thing.

It's also the same truck it was in the '80s...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the_koof

Which is a bad thing.

I certainly hope they keep the Ranger. Would be stupid to drop it. Maybe bring over the Ranger they sell overseas which is far more modern then ours.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

Onslaught

Someones needs to make an actual compact truck again. But I won't be sad to see this one go away.

SaltyDog

Quote from: the_koof on August 03, 2007, 12:53:11 AM
Which is a bad thing.

I certainly hope they keep the Ranger. Would be stupid to drop it. Maybe bring over the Ranger they sell overseas which is far more modern then ours.

I remember someone posting about Europe's Ranger, and it looked nice, but Ford said something about it not being suitable for American buyers.  I think it also has a diesel...why can't we get that?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 03, 2007, 10:52:48 PM
I remember someone posting about Europe's Ranger, and it looked nice, but Ford said something about it not being suitable for American buyers.? I think it also has a diesel...why can't we get that?

Because merry-cans are too dumb to realize that diesels kick gas.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

ifcar

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 03, 2007, 10:55:11 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-04-13-ford-plants_x.htm

That doesn't say the Ranger is being dropped, just that it's plant closed. Ford moved Town Car production when its plant closed. It also doesn't mention the Sport Trac.

280Z Turbo

SaltyDog

Quote from: ifcar on August 04, 2007, 05:54:58 AM
That doesn't say the Ranger is being dropped, just that it's plant closed. Ford moved Town Car production when its plant closed. It also doesn't mention the Sport Trac.

Yeah I couldn't find anything about the Sport Trac and I don't remember where I saw that.  Here's another link for the Ranger, although it isn't definitive: http://news.windingroad.com/trends/report-ford-considers-ranger-phase-out/

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Secret Chimp

That truck looks like it'd work better for Australia/NZ or South Africa.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Onslaught

They need to dump the  B truck they have now and bring this over. We need a small 4 cylinder truck in the US again other than what we have now. With gas going up and all the other trucks getting bigger and bigger I would think they would sell very well here.
I'm looking for a good running B2600i truck now just so I can have something like that.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Onslaught on August 04, 2007, 04:55:13 PM
They need to dump the  B truck they have now and bring this over. We need a small 4 cylinder truck in the US again other than what we have now. With gas going up and all the other trucks getting bigger and bigger I would think they would sell very well here.
I'm looking for a good running B2600i truck now just so I can have something like that.

I didn't think you liked Rangers/B's?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Panama_Chopster

I felt the Ranger would be all the truck I'd ever need. A nice 2.8 Tdi with a good 5 speed stick is more than fine for a daily driver, no need of a full size truck with something like a 350 where I have to be very careful with the throttle all the time worrying about squeezing the slightest MPG.

Granted some may really need a truck with engines that big. But most of the time I see say a Land Cruiser I only see a barely 5 feet tall woman behind the wheel and can barely look over the dash. My mom has visibility issues with the hood scoop and hood bulge in the Patrol and she adjusts the seat as close as possible to the steering wheel. I tried getting in the car with the seat adjust her way, I barely got in and there was no way I could work the pedals or much less even try to get out.

Onslaught

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 04, 2007, 08:24:48 PM
I didn't think you liked Rangers/B's?
I'm not a fan of them. But the B2000, 2200 and 2600 aren't the same thing. They had nothing to do with the Ranger. I had a 87 B2000 truck as my first car and I wish something was still available like that now.
I mostly don't like Rangers because I find them difficult to work on. I can't look past that when I'm around one.

Panama_Chopster

Maybe in the future you'll be able to get a deer.

nickdrinkwater

They sell a pretty new Ranger here, maybe they will phase that into the American market.

omicron

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 04, 2007, 03:56:00 PM
That truck looks like it'd work better for Australia/NZ or South Africa.

The midsize ute segment is quite robust here:

Toyota Hilux

Nissan Navara

Mitsubishi Triton

Ford Ranger

Mazda BT-50

Holden Rodeo

Mahindra Pik-Up

Ssangyong Actyon Sports

ifcar

We have the Navara as our Frontier, and I believe the Hilux and Rodeo are mechanically identical to our Tacoma and Chevy Colorado, respectively. How would you say the others compare to those three?

omicron

Run, run from the Mahindra and the Ssangyong, unless one likes being laughed at and the doors falling off mid-trip. I hear the Triton is a safe bet, but it's nothing special.

I believe you're right about the Hilux/Tacoma and Rodeo/Colorado, but we get different engines. For the Toyota, as well as the 2.7 litre I4 and the 4.0 V6, we have a turbodiesel 3.0 I4; and for the Rodeo we have a 2.4 I4, turbodiesel 3.0 I4, or 3.6 V6.

Danish

I believe the Hilux and Tacoma are not mechanically identical.

I remember reading that the suspension is different
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

sportyaccordy

TheIntrepid

Quote from: omicron on August 05, 2007, 08:36:31 PM
Run, run from the Mahindra

Do they also sell the Scorpio there? I just rode in one and I think that despite the fact that the fit and finish is absolutely appalling, the new one's going to sell like hotcakes going solely on the fact that it's a pretty sharp-looking SUV.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]