My Maruti Alto

Started by TheIntrepid, August 05, 2007, 01:43:36 PM

TheIntrepid

So my Optra in India was destroyed in the floods, and my cousins and I needed a car to get around as at any given time in the year, there is one of us North American cousins there.

The obvious candidate was the cheapest new car you can get that's not a Maruti 800, which is the Maruti Alto LXi.

It's powered by an 800cc (0.8L) engine with 40-ish horsepower as far as I know, carried through a 5-speed manual transmission. My cousin fitted it out with a JVC stereo and Sony XPLOD speakers, and a Thump in the back.

Air conditioning and power steering are the only other options. The seats are vinyl. It's also fitted with some sort of a custom horn because the stock one is too quiet to be heard in traffic.

Airbags... what are those?

So this car is shared between my two other cousins (who live in Kansas) and myself when we're there.

Decently peppy car, for only having 3 cylinders.

Oh, and the LXi is the top-of-the-line model, and it's an early 2007. The 2007.5 LXi has body colored bumpers.

Price is Rs. 3.0 lakhs, which is roughly $6500 USD if my conversions are correct.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

that's one long ass plate
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

In India, the first 2 letters of the plate are the state. This one is GJ which means it was purchased in Gujarat; Surat to be specific. The cars from Bombay and Delhi that I'll be posting will have MH (Maharashtra) and DL (Delhi) in the plates, respectively.

SVT_Power

More of a european system than north american i see. The north americans ones are just gibberish :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Maruti is so cheap they didn't even bother replacing the Suzuki emblem on the grille. :lol:

SVT_Power

ifcar

I'd buy one (with a slightly bigger engine), if it's decently reliable.

93JC

SVT_Power

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TheIntrepid

Oh yeah! I forgot to talk all about that. I've now perfected manual. Over the last few weeks I drove a Skoda Octavia, Toyota Innova, Maruti Alto, Maruti Zen, Toyota Qualis, and Maruti Swift Diesel, all 5-speed manuals.

nickdrinkwater

Looks pretty good for basic A-B transport!  They were sold in the UK until recently.

Panama_Chopster

I actually like that interior.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Panama_Chopster on August 05, 2007, 06:17:07 PM
I actually like that interior.

You wouldn't if you actually had to drive one. :lol:

Those 4 buttons above the climate control do nothing. You'd imagine that on upper level trims they'd have some function, but my LXi is the top of the line, and they are still ... nothing. It comes with no standard stereo and the speedometer goes up to 140 km/h or something.

I took it up to 120 and it was decently stable at that speed.

Laconian

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 05, 2007, 06:13:30 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot to talk all about that. I've now perfected manual. Over the last few weeks I drove a Skoda Octavia, Toyota Innova, Maruti Alto, Maruti Zen, Toyota Qualis, and Maruti Swift Diesel, all 5-speed manuals.

:mrcool: Now try it on a car with good throttle response and swear off slushies forever!

So is this Alto the same car that Suzuki licensed to China's Chang An? My favorite trim level of the Changan Alto was the HAPPY PRINCE EDITION (kuai le xiao wang) The one I rode in was so advanced, it had a rear brake light that blinked quickly on rapid braking!  :mrcool:

Panama_Chopster

Where in the heck did they get that steering wheel from?  :confused:

Well I like the design of the dash. But maybe because I've lived with a similar dash for over 10 years.

Laconian

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 05, 2007, 06:15:18 PM
Looks pretty good for basic A-B transport!  They were sold in the UK until recently.

City Rover?

TheIntrepid

Steering wheel? Probably from other Maruti models. :huh:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2007, 06:24:30 PM
City Rover?

:nono: That's the Tata Indica; see my other Mainstream thread for reference.

Eye of the Tiger

I want one with a terbow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on August 05, 2007, 02:54:16 PM
I'd buy one (with a slightly bigger engine), if it's decently reliable.

Indian cars are known for being tough and reliable.

Also you BUY a car to use when you're in india? You must have serious money. :lol:

sportyaccordy

It looks like something that shouldn't leave the confines of a shopping mall

omicron

I want a pair of those seatcovers for my car.

giant_mtb

Wait, it has a Suzuki badge...?  :confused:

Raghavan

You don't need airbags in those cars because they're too slow to be dangerous... :devil:

heelntoe

@heelntoe

nickdrinkwater

TheIntrepid

Quote from: heelntoe on August 06, 2007, 12:07:45 AM
how was it?

Great. This is my cousin after just having taken delivery... and I drove it with 8 km on the odo. Smooth and peppy car. It really doesn't sound like a diesel.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 05, 2007, 06:13:30 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot to talk all about that. I've now perfected manual. 

No you haven't, but congrats on being able to drive it in traffic without stalling.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 06, 2007, 08:52:02 AM
No you haven't, but congrats on being able to drive it in traffic without stalling.

:confused:

I was able to drive it in traffic without stalling before, I just hadn't had any experience. I'd estimate that over the past month I've driven manual about 1200km (60% city driving) and I can do it pretty well now. :huh: