2007 Mugen Civic RR

Started by Submariner, August 06, 2007, 10:47:36 AM

Submariner

Well, bad news is is for the Japanese market only, and it costs a staggering 38,000 U.S. dollars.  I'll take an Evo and change for that, or a used Boxster...

Basicly, it looses 22 pounds and gains 15 horsepower, and a ricetacular body kit, not worth it if you ask me.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

If I'm spending $38k on a Civic, it had better come with more than two R's   :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

I think it looks a lot better than the U.S. Civic, particularly the front clip and tail lights.  I agree with the previous posters though, for that price I'm getting something else.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Why does it need a dual exhaust again?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10523.msg531929#msg531929 date=1186421244

To make if faster. Duh.  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on August 06, 2007, 11:27:24 AM

Same reason why it needs Type-R stickers.

jayeshks

we get a civic with a similar body kit and a 197hp engine called the Acura CSX Type S up here in Canada.  And that only sells for around 34k Canadian. 

Danish

JDM can keep it.

Why can't Honda make a Type R car with FI so that it actually has more power?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raza

Quote from: Danish on August 06, 2007, 01:33:36 PM
JDM can keep it.

It would take too many R.  Honda R-Civic Type R TurboRR Type-R RR.

That's just a ridiculous name. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Danish on August 06, 2007, 01:33:36 PM
JDM can keep it.

Because the Type-R isn't about outright power or brute force... it's about something called "balance"

That's the difference between a Mazdaspeed 3, which had to have it's power minimized at speeds under 60MPH (very useful) and a Type-R.

I hate when people look at a car and say 'it doesn't have enough power.... car X has this much more and costs less'. We're not talking dog food here.

If the situation was right I would definitely pick up an RR. It would make a great 2nd or 3rd car, and it will only appreciate in value, assuming it is kept in good, running condition and with low miles.

"It only has 240HP though... the MS3 has like 100 more and a turbo... so the RR sucks"

Gimme a break :rolleyes:

IrishGuy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 06, 2007, 07:18:39 PM
Because the Type-R isn't about outright power or brute force... it's about something called "balance"

That's the difference between a Mazdaspeed 3, which had to have it's power minimized at speeds under 60MPH (very useful) and a Type-R.

I hate when people look at a car and say 'it doesn't have enough power.... car X has this much more and costs less'. We're not talking dog food here.

If the situation was right I would definitely pick up an RR. It would make a great 2nd or 3rd car, and it will only appreciate in value, assuming it is kept in good, running condition and with low miles.

"It only has 240HP though... the MS3 has like 100 more and a turbo... so the RR sucks"

Spoken like a true Honda fan.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

VetteZ06

That's what people say when their cars are slow.

QuoteThat's the difference between a Mazdaspeed 3, which had to have it's power minimized at speeds under 60MPH (very useful) and a Type-R.

That, and the fact that the 3 is faster.

QuoteI hate when people look at a car and say 'it doesn't have enough power.... car X has this much more and costs less'. We're not talking dog food here.

I hate it when people look at a car and say, "it has too much power...car X has better balance and you can actually use its power." We're not talking about ballet here.

QuoteIf the situation was right I would definitely pick up an RR. It would make a great 2nd or 3rd car, and it will only appreciate in value, assuming it is kept in good, running condition and with low miles.

Slightly used Corvette for me, brute force and all.

Quote"It only has 240HP though... the MS3 has like 100 more and a turbo... so the RR sucks"

Yes.

QuoteGimme a break :rolleyes:

No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on August 06, 2007, 10:50:23 AM
If I'm spending $38k on a Civic, it had better come with more than two R's? ?:rolleyes:

Japanese market prices can't really be compared to the "what-if" questions of what the car would cost if it came over to the states. Cars are substantially more expensive there all across the board.

But I'd really prefer a hatch or coupe version of this, and I doubt I (even as an irredeemable honduh boi) would be hard pressed to pay over $22k for such a vehicle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Danish

38k for a Civic Si with body kit and 15 more ponies.

I'll pass./I can make them in my backyard and sell them for $12k less./At that price, it had better have gadgets that do my laundry, floss my teeth and make the car invisible.

(pick your insult)
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Danish on August 06, 2007, 07:40:43 PM
38k for a Civic Si with body kit and 15 more ponies.

I'll pass./I can make them in my backyard and sell them for $12k less./At that price, it had better have gadgets that do my laundry, floss my teeth and make the car invisible.

(pick your insult)

I hate when people don't read the entire article.

"Among the many performance upgrades the Mugen Civic RR also sports a one of a kind Romulan Type 5 plasma cloaking device."

FlatBlackCaddy

DATA: "Captain, i'm picking up a high pitched noise. It sounds like a "weed wacker", a gas powered gardening device used in the 20th century"

CAPTAIN: "Can you locate the source data"

DATA: "Scanning"

WORF: "Captain, we have a Mugen Civic Type RR de cloaking off our starboard bow"

CAPTAIN: "Mr Worf raise shields, data scan the vessel"

DATA: "The ship appears to have limited weapon systems, she should present no danger to the enterprise"

WORF: "The Mugen Civic Type RR is a small tactical ship, though its weapons systems are limited it has outstanding balance which possess a threat to any ship in the federation"

CAPTAIN: "We better not underestimate its balance then Mr Worf"

CAPTAIN: "Mr crusher, set a course for the neutral zone WARP 9.9, lets get the hell out of here"

2o6

Keep in mind, this is a Direct conversion. Everything is more expensive.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 06, 2007, 07:58:43 PM
DATA: "Captain, i'm picking up a high pitched noise. It sounds like a "weed wacker", a gas powered gardening device used in the 20th century"

CAPTAIN: "Can you locate the source data"

DATA: "Scanning"

WORF: "Captain, we have a Mugen Civic Type RR de cloaking off our starboard bow"

CAPTAIN: "Mr Worf raise shields, data scan the vessel"

DATA: "The ship appears to have limited weapon systems, she should present no danger to the enterprise"

WORF: "The Mugen Civic Type RR is a small tactical ship, though its weapons systems are limited it has outstanding balance which possess a threat to any ship in the federation"

CAPTAIN: "We better not underestimate its balance then Mr Worf"

CAPTAIN: "Mr crusher, set a course for the neutral zone WARP 9.9, lets get the hell out of here"

How ridiculous: everybody knows sound can't travel in empty space!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 06, 2007, 08:08:27 PM
How ridiculous: everybody knows sound can't travel in empty space!

:rolleyes:

why don't you go complain about the historical inaccuracy of revenge of the nerds.

you're the type of person who ruins disney movies by pointing out physics flaws.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 06, 2007, 08:11:02 PM
:rolleyes:

why don't you go complain about the historical inaccuracy of revenge of the nerds.

you're the type of person who ruins disney movies by pointing out physics flaws.

:lol:

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 06, 2007, 07:32:59 PM
Japanese market prices can't really be compared to the "what-if" questions of what the car would cost if it came over to the states. Cars are substantially more expensive there all across the board.

But I'd really prefer a hatch or coupe version of this, and I doubt I (even as an irredeemable honduh boi) would be hard pressed to pay over $22k for such a vehicle.

Actually JDM cars are substantially cheaper in Japan.

For example a EVO IX MR costs 36,924 here, NOT including tax.  The JDM EVO MR GSR (which comes with even more goodies) comes in at 3,622,500 yen, INCLUDING tax.  Given the current 118 exchange rate, that comes out to be 30,699 USD.  A savings of 6 grand or so without even factoring the tax.  Add tax and you are looking at an 8 grand savings

For a Honda car by comparision, the S2000 here costs 34,230 without tax.  In Japan the JDM S2000 costs 3.78 million Yen including tax, which comes out to around 32 grand, including tax.

Or take the Civic Si vs the JDM Civic Type R.  The JDM Civic Type R blows ours out of the water in every way, and comes in at 2.835 million Yen,  this comes out to around 24K USD.  Remember these prices include tax.  So a US Civic Si Sedan with summer tires costs 22,085 with destination charge.  Add tax to that and we are looking at 23.5K or so.

If you do this with any comparable model sold both places, the JDM cars are cheaper in Japan, which makes sense considering they don't have to be imported etc.

Thus if this Mugen is 38K USD in Japan, it might be much more before it reaches stateside, if it ever does.

Soup DeVille

I guess that's what I get for assuming.  :huh:

sportyaccordy

Mmmmmm actually the Mugen Civic Type-RR drops about 200# and gains 43HP over our Si. In comparison to the MS3 it's down about 400#, but also down about 23HP... although in 1st and 2nd I'm sure the power outputs are close. I don't get how the Civic can be considered 'slow' when it has basically the same power/weight ratio as the MS3...

Trust me... I've owned a few FWD cars.... when it comes to making power, less torque and shorter gearing is much better. Why else would Mazda LIMIT the power on the MS3 in the first few gears, but Mugen/Honda put all of it to the ground all the time?

Obviously you could buy a Civic Si and get 40HP out of the motor for under 2K in bolt ons... get a set of decent coilovers for another 1K... etc. etc. But that's not the point. Ahhh whatever. "2HP and 10# off the Si for 40K more... it sucks!!! More torque, more power, more weight please!!!" :rolleyes:

nickdrinkwater

I agree.  The problem is that the US market has always favoured power over anything else, so you're going to have a tough time convincing them of anything else.  Not that you can blame people, since most American roads are straight! 

Also, people criticising the price should remember that cars are generally more expensive in a lot of countries than in the US of A.

Soup DeVille

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2007, 07:32:43 PM
Looks like we in the states will be getting an Si Mugen though:

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/civic-mugen-si-sedan.aspx

This will go over huge with the honda fans.

Its sure to cost as much as a corvette or porsche for insurance, and most owners will love the 2-3 weeks with the car before it gets stolen and the parts end up in about 30 different LX civics around the area.

FlatBlackCaddy

I almost bought a Integra Type R a few years back. There was a lot around me that had a bone stock yellow type R with low miles, the price was pretty fair.

Considering insuring it was rediculous and that it would have been stolen in a few months i decided to pass. It just wouldn't be any fun having the honda bois all over you everytime you stopped. Not to mention having a broke ass honda following you around every other day so they can find out were you live.

Raghavan

LMAO at the F1 style red thingy on the back.
And it's way too expensive. But i now agree that it looks better than the USDM Civic.

S204STi

I think they should release a Pirates of the Carribean Type Aaaarrr! Edition.

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on August 08, 2007, 07:55:47 PM
I think they should release a Pirates of the Carribean Type Aaaarrr! Edition.

:lol: