Audi Q7 SUV Coming

Started by TurboDan, May 08, 2005, 12:06:29 PM

TurboDan

From Autoweek:

Photo...

Audi Q7
Q7 to King: Audi makes a big move into the SUV market (finally)
MARK VAUGHN
Published Date: 4/25/05

?This is the Audi answer to the question, ?What is an SUV from Audi??? said company chairman Martin Winterkorn at a sneak peek of the finished Q7. ?It is our first step in the SUV market.?

Well then, what was the Audi allroad, chopped liver?

?Yes, our first first step was the allroad quattro,? Winterkorn admitted. ?But our customers expected much more.?

Particularly American customers. While so many other Audi (and Volkswagen, Porsche, BMW, etc.) products are design?ed first and foremost for their home markets, the coming Q7 was designed for American tastes, and Americans will not only get first crack at it when it comes to market early next year, they will get more than half of all production once the line cranks up in Bratislava in October. What?s American? Size.

The big Q is bigger than the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touareg with which it shares many a part. It is almost six inches longer in the wheelbase than a Cayenne/Touareg, up from 112.4 inches to 118.3. Why the stretch? Primarily to make room for the third row of seats that almost every SUV worth its place in the U.S. market must have nowadays.

The optional third row will allow seating for seven, though Audi says row three is designed for children and will be folded flat most of the time. Standard seating will be two rows with room for five adults.

Also, expect the Q to do without the heavy-duty (and just plain heavy) 4wd systems available on the Cayenne and Touareg in favor of a lighter, simpler quattro system found in the allroad and in Audi sedans. That means it probably won?t have the low-range gear selection or the locking center and rear differentials of the Touareg and Cayenne.

?It?s very respectful of what people are doing with this vehicle,? said designer Danny Garand, who also penned the A8. ?For instance, we say off-road, but how often are you using this??

The Q7 is actually trying to be a less-rugged off-roader and more of several other vehicles.

?It represents the synergy of four different automotive worlds: luxury sedan, sporty coupe, robust off-roader and van,? said Garand.

Why not just throw in tasty dessert topping while you?re at it, Audi? But Garand points to several aspects of the Q7 aimed at achieving those goals. First, it?s very close to the promisingly sporty Pikes Peak concept shown in Detroit in 2003. The side glass is thin and sits high above a higher beltline, for instance. This gives it that coupe look, Garand said.

The very wide rear storage, fold-down rear seats and the roofline higher than the Pikes Peak suggest the utility of a minivan. The limited awd capability and an adjustable airbag suspension mean you at least won?t have to stay home when it snows.

Inside is the luxury sedan part, with a full complement of Audi touches from leather seats to wood trim. The production Q7 will come with a choice of 18-, 19- or 20-inch wheels. The vehicle we saw had 20s. The expansive glass roof of the Pikes Peak will also make production, running about the same length as the standard roof rails.

Underhood will be a choice of the 3.2-liter 240-hp V6 from the Touareg or the next-generation 4.2-liter V8 with stratified fuel injection making 350 hp. Perhaps a year after those engines debut expect to see a V10 TDI or maybe a diesel V6 and/or V8, since Audi and VW are big on diesels. The engine bay of the V8-powered Q7 we looked at had a gap between the forward end of the engine block and the radiator that appeared to be just about the size of two more cylinders.

The Q has paddle shifters on the sides of the steering wheel, suggesting a six-speed Tiptronic of the kind attached to other VW/Audi 4.2-liter V8s.

Once up to speed, worldwide production will be between 60,000 and 70,000 Qs a year. Price will be around $40,000.
If, after seeing this Q, you decide you need more, there are rumors of a QS7 performance model in the future. If this is too much, the A4-based Q5 is said to be coming by 2008. All are good moves, at least while this remains an SUV-happy market.

BMWDave

I think the Audi designers really messed up on this one.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

GMPenguin

QuoteI think the Audi designers really messed up on this one.
Why do you say that?

I think the front is oddly proportioned and has a weird angry psychotic killer look to it.  They should've made the Pikes Peak.

BMWDave

Why do you say that?

I think the front is oddly proportioned and has a weird angry psychotic killer look to it.  They should've made the Pikes Peak.
huh?  I said that for precisely the reason you stated.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Why do you say that?

Kevin often contradicts himself. You can ignore him.  :P  

BMWDave

Why do you say that?

Kevin often contradicts himself. You can ignore him.  :P
Ok, I'll keep that in mind ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

So far I think it looks great, just like an Audi suv should. But I will have to see more photos before I can make a final judgement.

Lorinser

I like! Much better looking than the Cayenne or the Toureg.

MaxPower

the Cayenne/Touraeg platform is turning into a lux version of the Trailblazer/Envoy platform.  It's getting spun off on all available brands. Just waiting for the Lambo version...

mazda6er

QuoteJust waiting for the Lambo version...
that would be interesting
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

I know Lamborghini orginally made SUVs so it would be interesting to see one.

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

I have never seen an unmasked version of it, so I have yet to tell if it is a looker or not. I bet they will do pretty well where I live, Audi's are as popular as BMW's.  

MaxPower

I don't have the pic but wasn't there a drawing of a new Lambo SUV that would potentially be based around the Cayenne/ect. circulating around the internet?  I remember it looked pretty extreme...It was probably just a pipe dream.

ifcar

I don't have the pic but wasn't there a drawing of a new Lambo SUV that would potentially be based around the Cayenne/ect. circulating around the internet?  I remember it looked pretty extreme...It was probably just a pipe dream.

BMWDave

That looks pretty weird. :blink:  

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

That picture illustrates the biggest problem with Lamborghini... Just look at the license plate.

850CSi

QuoteI have never seen an unmasked version of it, so I have yet to tell if it is a looker or not. I bet they will do pretty well where I live, Audi's are as popular as BMW's.
There is a ridiculous amount of A4s in the Chicagoland area.

It's probably because we have so many Polish people here.

TurboDan

Audis are definitely as popular as Bimmers here too.  Most the A4, but the A6 is very popular too.  I have a feeling that the A3 will be a hit in NYC.

850CSi

QuoteAudis are definitely as popular as Bimmers here too.  Most the A4, but the A6 is very popular too.  I have a feeling that the A3 will be a hit in NYC.
The last-generation A6 sold like hotcakes here too. The new one isn't selling so well, though...

But that's the first time I've heard anyone ever say they think the A3 is going to be a hit... Why do you think that? I'm interested, because I'm worried it's going to flop, big time.